• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Quest Illustrations: 30th Anniversary Edition Artbook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
As a Dragon Quest fan, I picked up the Japanese edition as soon as I could (which was some time after release; it was so popular in Japan that it was sold out everywhere for awhile!), and was glad I did, as it's a really lovely artbook. Was happy to hear the news about an English edition, and it sounds like Viz did a good job with it.

The change in orientation is interesting. I'd like to know if the illustrations themselves are flipped, or if everything was simply shuffled around to fit in a left-to-right format. Hope it's the latter. Also curious to know if the US edition comes with a slipcover like the JP one.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
I never played the games , but I'd like to pick this up. Toriyama is one of my favorites, and his art especially so. I always felt his talent was a bit wasted on buff, blond men, so this should be perfect.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

The change in orientation is interesting. I'd like to know if the illustrations themselves are flipped, or if everything was simply shuffled around to fit in a left-to-right format. Hope it's the latter. Also curious to know if the US edition comes with a slipcover like the JP one.

I think it was just shuffled - nothing looks awkward the way reversed art often does. Even if it was flipped, they did a really good job with it. Sadly there's no slipcover, but it's still a beautiful book.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered this the moment I saw it. I'm really very excited for it, though TBH art books aren't things I really look at much. IE I'll thumb through it once, and then on my shelf forever.

But even so, I've amassed a small collection. Pride and joy is a set of Adachi Mitsuru books that are autographed (H2 and Touch). I got 'em used, though, so no idea if it's genuine. Also have Amani Yoshitaka's The Sky and art books for Zelda and Persona 5.

R. Kasahara wrote:
As a Dragon Quest fan, I picked up the Japanese edition as soon as I could (which was some time after release; it was so popular in Japan that it was sold out everywhere for awhile!), and was glad I did, as it's a really lovely artbook. Was happy to hear the news about an English edition, and it sounds like Viz did a good job with it.

Would you mind taking a photo of a random page and sharing it? That way we could compare the two and find out for certain.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Would you mind taking a photo of a random page and sharing it? That way we could compare the two and find out for certain.

I'm out of town right now, so I wouldn't be able to for another day or so. However, there are some sample pages from the JP edition pictured here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1