• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Keijo!!!!!!!! Limited Edition BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
Keijo is one of the weirdest and most fun animes I have ever come across. Sexy fanservice is an important part of the show, but at heart it is a feel good sports show with a lot of heart. I recommend this show to those averse to fanservice because it makes sense to have curvaceous young women in swimsuits in the context of the premise. I honestly don't see malice and nastiness in this show, like many fanservice shows have.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
I feel like this review kind of undersells the magnificence of the show. The sheer dedication to tone alone is impressive; if at any point the characters or the show treated its sport with anything less than complete seriousness, it would fall apart. It's a kind of straight-faced humor that reminds me of the campy absurdity of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (or at least the earlier parts) or Sakamoto desu ga, which we really need more of in anime. You'd think the joke would get old, but it never really does, as it adds more and more ridiculous special moves, constantly upping the ante.

Also, special mention should be given, I feel, to the plethora of female body types depicted in the anime. You've got your standard slim/voluptuous/etc. that you get in most anime, but there also a number of very muscular girls too, which felt refreshing and surprisingly realistic, considering that these are adult female athletes.

Keijo is a good sports anime, a good fan service anime, and a great comedy.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
Keijo is honestly one of the most fun anime I’ve seen in a while and I’m ashamed that I was quick to shoot it down at first just because of its fanservice heavy premise. But once I decided to give in, I absolutely enjoyed it.

There’s something absurdly charming in how shameless it is in its fan service, and it doesn’t feel like it’s trying too hard to be anything more than that in my opinion. It’s a goofy sports comedy that takes itself seriously enough that you root for the sport but not seriously enough that it feels contrived.

Not to mention that it actually felt like a real sport that I got invested in. I was excited to see the training sessions, the new abilities, and the fights. As mentioned above, its entire set up and power up system really feels like JoJos Bizarre Adventures (albeit nowhere near as fabulous looking.) The sheer absurdity and presentation is just so much fun and I had a blast watching the final few episodes with friends.

Also I would like to give extra kudos to the designs of some of the girls. For the most part the facial designs aren’t special, but some of their body types I rarely see. I wish other anime had that kind of variety in shapes and muscle and fat. Albeit a majority of the cast is still pretty slender with huge racks, but it still shows that anyone can play Keijo.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I feel like this review kind of undersells the magnificence of the show. The sheer dedication to tone alone is impressive; if at any point the characters or the show treated its sport with anything less than complete seriousness, it would fall apart. It's a kind of straight-faced humor that reminds me of the campy absurdity of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (or at least the earlier parts) or Sakamoto desu ga, which we really need more of in anime. You'd think the joke would get old, but it never really does, as it adds more and more ridiculous special moves, constantly upping the ante.

Also, special mention should be given, I feel, to the plethora of female body types depicted in the anime. You've got your standard slim/voluptuous/etc. that you get in most anime, but there also a number of very muscular girls too, which felt refreshing and surprisingly realistic, considering that these are adult female athletes.

I agree with all of this. Keijo was great, dumb, fun from start to finish and enjoyed every second of it. I only wish the manga didn't get canned, I would have loved to read it here in the states.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I feel like this review kind of undersells the magnificence of the show. The sheer dedication to tone alone is impressive; if at any point the characters or the show treated its sport with anything less than complete seriousness, it would fall apart. .

It comes up in the commentary that the actors and director were aware that the delivery needed to be serious, even if the content wasn't necessarily serious, which can be tricky if you're calling out attacks like, "Gate of Booty-lon."
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
absolutely no sense of shame

Why is that a bad thing in this show? Laughing

Anyway, this show is so much balls-to-the-wall absurd with so much heart to it that it’s hard for me not to really enjoy it. The fan service is well executed and the character designs are pleasing to see, and the taking everything so straight-faced seriously really help sell this show in a positive way. Characters are charming and I enjoyed rooting for them when they were faced with adversity. Overall, it’s a series I would recommend to anybody that enjoys fan service and I’m bummed that the manga got cancelled as I doubt that there would be anymore seasons after this one. A shame, really.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll mostly repeat what has been said but I don't think it can be said enough, Keijo own it's fan service and that makes it works. More importantly it's part of the story, rather than have a random scene that does nothing except have fan service and distract from the plot Keijo just made the fan service an integral part of the story. So obvious you're going to have the camera zoomed in on the butt and boob, that's the attack themselves!

The show character are also 100% serious about everything, if you're a fan of comedy like airplane/naked gun you'll like this, the combination of seriousness and silliness really work.
Mavado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Any word about a European release yet?

Trans-atlantic importing is a bit an annoyance ever since the government implemented a flat fee on all imports of non-european goods.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

I have yet to find an anime where there are "very muscular girls".

Oh, and I very much want to do this to Mio Kusakai.
http://bestanimations.com/Games/Computer/MortalCombat/LiuKang/liu-kang-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-2.gif
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lots of references in the show as well, with special attacks drawn from Fate, Rurouni Kenshin, and all sorts of other shows.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
My only gripe is that I wish it didn't do SO poorly in Japan that it didn't even warrant a release of the OST. The music is nothing super special, but there are a large handful of enjoyable BGM that I would love to have access to and extend/tweak for my personal enjoyment.

Also, Saya's chichi battou was introduced incredibly late, but its ultra seriousness and delivery had me pausing the show to catch my breath from violent laughter.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
My only gripe is that I wish it didn't do SO poorly in Japan that it didn't even warrant a release of the OST. The music is nothing super special, but there are a large handful of enjoyable BGM that I would love to have access to and extend/tweak for my personal enjoyment.

Also, Saya's chichi battou was introduced incredibly late, but its ultra seriousness and delivery had me pausing the show to catch my breath from violent laughter.

It actually didn't bad at all. The author even said that Oricon intentionally made the anime seem like it sold less then they did at the Author's manager's request because he didn't like the series as well as the fact that the manga was going to get canned anyway.

The Mangaka was treated like shit by the higher ups.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
Normally not a big fan of fanservice (no pun intended), but this sounds...interesting. Does Crunchyroll have it?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Normally not a big fan of fanservice (no pun intended), but this sounds...interesting. Does Crunchyroll have it?

They currently do but I wouldn't expect them to for long. Especially now with their split of Funi and it's a Funi title.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I see...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1