• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sanrio Grande

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
A greeting card company creating characters that would later go on to have dolls and even cartoons - not just Sanrio, but American Greetings and Strawberry Shortcake.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
It was recently revealed that Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater was going to have its second season that never was. How about that?
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of surprising that My Melody never got a push in North America. Maybe partners were scared off by the failures of things like Mew Mew Power/Magical DoReMi and the lukewarm reception to Hamtaro?

The similarly targeted Tamagotchi anime struggled to gain traction here, too. The first chunk of the main show got a Miami dub of dubious quality that ran in Australia, but not much else. Bandai tried dumping some of the shorts onto YouTube, but this was back in 2008. Well before that was something toy companies do. Western English broadcasters just didn't seem to be interested in cutesy anime girls shows.

Neat little tidbit, Canadian broadcaster YTV and government branch Telefilm Canada commissioned those '90s Keroppi/Hello Kitty dubs:

But truly, we missed out on the greatest Sanrio anime: Hello Kitty KISS. Years later, I'm still not sure if that was an early April's Fools joke, or a hilariously bad idea that died with Hasbro's ownership of The Hub.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Only mentioned briefly in the article, but Ringing Bell (Chirin no Suzu) is one of the more curious Sanrio anime works. At it’s core, it’s a pretty sad and dark story with rather absurd plot twists. It’s about a sheep, Chirin, whose mother is killed by a wolf, and in turn the sheep seeks revenge – by trying to become as strong as a wolf. spoiler[But as time progresses and Chirin gets stronger (and more and more like a wolf), its fellow sheep start to avoid and fear Chirin – and for valid reasons.

The story ends with Chirin being alone in the world, leading the life of a lone wolf (almost literally), if I remember it correctly. There’s not much hope in this story, and it’s more reminiscent of a Greek fable than a Sanrio merchandise anime.]

There’s another anime movie that has tackled a very similar story much better, Stormy Night (Arashi no Yoru ni), but as clumsy as it is, Ringing Bell is still worth a watch, both as a conceptually hopeless and tragic story and as a curious chapter in Sanrio’s history.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Psst. Hey, buddy. Actually all 100 of the Aggressive Retsuko shorts are fansubbed (adding up to 105 minutes).

They're pretty great, too. I'd buy 'em or rewatch 'em on Netflix in a heartbeat if I could.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Cinnamon is probably my favorite Sanrio character, it sucks you can't find much merch of him in the states, even though he's one of the more popular characters in Japan.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
To slightly expand upon Blackiris_'s comments ─ there is some (but not much) discussion here along with a couple of links.....
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Aggretsuko was non-existent in Japan when I was there last month. I went to a very large, dedicated Sanrio store in Kyoto and could barely find anything. Everything was Kitty, Kuromi and Melody. I found more crossover Cardcaptor Sakura/Sanrio merchandise than I did Aggretsuko.

IMO, the best way to measure a series' or character's success is by the amount of LINE stickers available in that country.

There's just 1 sticker set for Aggretsuko.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
So Cutie Bunny how was Jewelpet doing when you were there? I know technically it is done. I was just wondering anything remains.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
The Toys That Made Us on Netflix had a pretty interesting episode about Hello Kitty in season 2!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
So Cutie Bunny how was Jewelpet doing when you were there? I know technically it is done. I was just wondering anything remains.

Didn't see any in the Sanrio shop. I gravitate towards bunny merchandise (for super obvious reasons), and all I could find was Melody. Quite a bit of Twin Stars merch, and Badtz as well.

Sanrio shop was worth a stop if you are in Kyoto and like Sanrio. There's a lot of stuff I've never seen anywhere else. The paper cards were really nice.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Only mentioned briefly in the article, but Ringing Bell (Chirin no Suzu) is one of the more curious Sanrio anime works. At it’s core, it’s a pretty sad and dark story with rather absurd plot twists. It’s about a sheep, Chirin, whose mother is killed by a wolf, and in turn the sheep seeks revenge – by trying to become as strong as a wolf. spoiler[But as time progresses and Chirin gets stronger (and more and more like a wolf), its fellow sheep start to avoid and fear Chirin – and for valid reasons.

The story ends with Chirin being alone in the world, leading the life of a lone wolf (almost literally), if I remember it correctly. There’s not much hope in this story, and it’s more reminiscent of a Greek fable than a Sanrio merchandise anime.]

There’s another anime movie that has tackled a very similar story much better, Stormy Night (Arashi no Yoru ni), but as clumsy as it is, Ringing Bell is still worth a watch, both as a conceptually hopeless and tragic story and as a curious chapter in Sanrio’s history.

Heck, Ideon is even more nihilistic than Ringing Bell - the entire cast spoiler[dies as the universe is completely destroyed].
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I LOVE Ringing Bell and most of Sanrio's movies from that time. Ringing Bell is one of my favorite movies ever, and my favorite Sanrio character is Cinnamoroll (Though I still call him Cinnamon, because back when he was first made, he was called Baby Cinnamon).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I LOVE Ringing Bell and most of Sanrio's movies from that time. Ringing Bell is one of my favorite movies ever, and my favorite Sanrio character is Cinnamoroll (Though I still call him Cinnamon, because back when he was first made, he was called Baby Cinnamon).

Did you like either of the Ideon movies (although, like Mike Toole, I'm taking the things I've read about Sanrio producing them with a grain of salt)?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I loved Spottie Dottie as a kid. It would be great to see more merch with her nowadays. I was also a big Keroppi fan and had a neat pen/pencil set in a case that I used daily as one of my more treasured school supplies. -And though I don't really see it much now, I like Nyago as well. Still have a plush keychain of him from back when he debuted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2