• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranking the Films of Mamoru Hosoda

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Summer Wars is boring. Putting it over Wolf Children or Mirai makes no sense
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
1. Wolf Children
2. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
3. Summer Wars

I have not watched the others, but I plan to watch Mirai.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely place The Boy and the Beast at #1 with Summer Wars in second place, but I haven't seen the rest of Hosoda's other work to make a proper list yet. I haven't had the time, but I'll get to it eventually. A shame that One Piece movie is one Funi hasn't dubbed yet.

Quote:
enough genre cliches and questionable choices are scattershot throughout that they can seriously sour the ride

Could you name an example of a genre cliché it used? I can understand questionable choices, such as spoiler[Kumatetsu being unable to function properly as a person without Ren, which is quite stupid since both of them are their own person], but what clichés did it implement?

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is still my favourite One Piece movie
professorwho

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
My ranking:
1. Baron Omatsuri- 8/10
2. Wolf Children- 7/10
3. Girl who Leapt through Time (starting here, I don’t like these at all)- 5/10
4. Summer Wars- 5/10
5. Boy and the Beast - 2/10

Haven’t seen Mirai so I can’t comment on it’s quality. Though, considering I don’t like his films, I doubt it’ll change my opinion on him as a filmmaker.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I had this same exact ranking discussion with my friends the other day. This was my ranking.

1) Girl Who Leapt through Time (Story was simple and visually appealing. Plus, Makoto's VA (Riisa Naka) was top notch and I became a fan of her)

2) Wolf Children (Very cute and touching. Hard to believe the main heroine, though.)

3) Summer Wars (Everybody is going to say it's basically Digimon, which it is. But, the character designs were great and the grandma was IMO the best character).

4) One Piece (After seeing the Digimon movie, I was really curious about who the director was because of the art style. The art style for this movie may have turned down some people, but I, for one, was satisfied and felt refreshing to watch. Story was still whatever, though.)

5) Boy and the Beast (I just didn't like it. It was trying to be touching like Wolf Children but I just couldn't get into it. None of the characters were all that likeable.)

I haven't seen Mirai yet so I can't rank that one.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Went into this expecting to disagree since Summer Wars at #1 isn't the popular choice. I'll be damned! Nice! Very Happy

I've still only seen Summer Wars and The Boy and the Beast, though I'm going to see Mirai in theaters in a little over a week. I own The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, so I should really get around to that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Personal ranking:

Wolf Children (I watch it every Mother's Day - this will stand as his greatest work in the decades to come I'm sure. I adore Hana and her determination)
Summer Wars (Think Ready Player One but with slightly more engaging main characters)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (A large film in a casual, friendly wrapper that never gets too full of itself)
The Boy and The Beast (Overwrought and indulgent, the first real Hosoda misstep with poor characterisation and pacing)
Mirai (Rarely have I hated a main character as much as Kun. Reminded me too much of my own loud, frustrating nephew which was kinda Hosoda's intention)

Sorry if I've offended or annoyed anyone, these are my own opinions.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

I'm offended and annoyed you'd say this in the first place. Have more confidence in your opinions
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:

I'm offended and annoyed you'd say this in the first place. Have more confidence in your opinions

Oh, I've confidence in my opinions; just covering my ass so I don't have to get into a waste of time defending them (and instead defending covering the bases lol). I've rubbed people the wrong way in the past so I figured being proactive to a potential scenario was easier to deal with than a reactive one. *shrugs*
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Summer Wars is boring. Putting it over Wolf Children or Mirai makes no sense

He likes it enough or at least more than them, that’s the sense. Opinions, darn things can be so subjective. Laughing

Haven’t seen that many of his movies though I have seen Wolf Children & Summer Wars.

Greats movies those two, I’d recommend them to anyone though I don’t think I’ll ever watch Wolf Children again cause I can’t handle doing through the depression again.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Not to be a Digimon fangirl, but those Digimon films aren't OVAs... they were full, theatrical release movies that happen to have a short runtime. (Toei was doing that a lot at the time, and showing them as double-features with movies from other Toei properties, I believe.)

I mean, it's fine to exclude them for not being original works, but it's not fair to exclude them just because the US release edited them and the third Digimon movie all together into a Frankenstein movie. Especially considering that the net-battle plot of Summer Wars was reused almost entirely from the second Digimon movie, Our War Game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cabron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
My ranking in no particular order:
Digimon Movie 1
Digimon Movie 2
---------------------------
Everything else Hosoda worked on.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda's movies look like something I should be into, but i haven't had much luck with them in the past. I don't care about One Piece or Digimon, so I never saw his older work.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was fun, but ultimately too lightweight for my taste, and rather forgettable.
Summer Wars was a miserable viewing experience for me. I hated all of its "look how quirky we are" characters and I strongly disagreed with how it portrayed cooperation as a community.
I bailed out of Hosoda's works after that. Perhaps I should check up on how he's evolved in the decade since then, since he remains a strong presence in anime, but from reading both the article and the posts in this thread, it doesn't look like I have much to look forward to except perhaps The Wolf Children.

(PS: Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against lightweight stories or quirky characters per se. Hell, I've enjoyed both the K-On movie and My Neighbors The Yamadas. but Hosoda's work so far hasn't done it for me. I still hope to be swayed one day.)
Transformers03

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Not to be a Digimon fangirl, but those Digimon films aren't OVAs... they were full, theatrical release movies that happen to have a short runtime. (Toei was doing that a lot at the time, and showing them as double-features with movies from other Toei properties, I believe.)

I mean, it's fine to exclude them for not being original works, but it's not fair to exclude them just because the US release edited them and the third Digimon movie all together into a Frankenstein movie. Especially considering that the net-battle plot of Summer Wars was reused almost entirely from the second Digimon movie, Our War Game.

My issue with this article isn't necessarily because he excluded those Digimon films. My problem is that the writer chose to still include Hosoda's One Piece film. The way the writer worded as well made it come across as demeaning, as if those works are "lesser" because it is Digimon.

The author could have just not include the One Piece film at all, and chose to focus on his original work. I would have accepted that reasoning. But instead the author claims they were OVAs, which isn't true.

Don't get the wrong impressions, I think this an enjoyable article and author does seem like fan of Hosoda. I'm also speaking as a Digimon fan, rather than a Hosoda fan. But the fact that the author chose to understate what was essentially the filmmaker's first theatrical films irks me the wrong way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2