• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Retrogame Roundups Rated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mega Man X6 (which no one wanted to make)

As much infamy as it has in the fanbase for not being designed or play tested enough that should be more like
"no one wanted to make properly".

Quote:
and Mega Man X7 (which no one should have made).

Same way I feel about Mega Man 5.

Quote:
CAPCOM also didn't want to spring for a good-size Switch cartridge,

Probably just waiting like everyone else til Nintendo drops the 64 GB cards.......which they've been waiting for since last year.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Heyo again, Todd. Glad to see you make another quick stop here to fill in for Heidi. : )

Secret of Mana: Saving Santa from spending his immortal existence as a monster was definitely one of the game's biggest highlights (and considering Lynzee's recent article about horrible anime portrayals of Santa, it seems to further support my theory that Japan has a low opinion of him). It's a very difficult fight without using Salamando, proving our jolly old symbol of Christmas can defend himself easily when it comes to battle.

Panzer Dragoon Saga: It's a shame no one has attempted to rebuild the game from scratch. Square Enix lost the original code for the first Kingdom Hearts, and had to have the studio rebuild the entire game from the ground up in time for the release of 1.5 ReMIX. I'm amazed no one has wanted to do the same for Panzer Dragoon, especially because anyone who owns a copy can sell theirs for absurd prices online.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Still hoping they could add Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia and Goemon from Ganbare Goemon. Maybe even Crono. Great game as it stands, though World of Light is a slight blemish with its lack of variety.

Doraemon: I like Doraemon too, but not one single game of his ever got localized, and the 2005 anime's dub here was sadly short-lived. I doubt any publisher here is going to take a chance on this.

Retro Game Collections: Both Mega Man X Legacy Collections are easily worth the price of purchase. The only negative aspect to both of them is the X Challenge; it's very unbalanced on the the higher difficulties.

Quote:
Perhaps the Mega Man Xtreme games don't fit into this anthology, but Mega Man X Command Mission, an RPG from 2004, is cruelly shunned here.

That's because Capcom doesn't believe in RPGs anymore.

Quote:
And what was your favorite retro-game cavalcade this year, good readers?

Before the release of Smash Ultimate, I was working on a new challenge run for Wild Arms (the PSN download of course). It's the only game I have that actually fits the unique conditions I came up with.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
-Panzer Dragoon: Yeah, this one came outta nowhere. The company seems a bit iffy, but I'll still keep an eye on it because Panzer Dragoon existing in any form is incredible. This also shows why more companies need to do a better job of archiving masters properly.

-Smash: Yeah, Smash continues to keep raising the bar for guest characters. I'm surprised Namco doesn't have another representative, so maybe now would be the time to put Lloyd in. Or maybe KOS-MOS. One company I don't think we'll see more of is Square considering how there is a dearth of FF representation in the game. It's literally just Cloud, the Midgar stage, and two music tracks. That's it. There isn't even a single Final Fantasy Spirit in the game. It's weird.

-Retro collections: It's been a pretty good year for these, my favorites being the Beat 'Em Up Bundle and SNK Collection.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also pronounces the title as “Smash Bros,” which makes me wonder if I'm wrong to call it “Smash Brothers” in real-world conversations. And does this mean I've been pronouncing Super Mario Bros. incorrectly for over THIRTY YEARS?
The announcer shouted "Super... SMAAASH BROTHERS" on the title screen of the first few entries, so I assume that pronunciation is still official.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
Pardon the necroposting, but I've been brooding over Christmas-themed games all week.

The ones that came to mind were all super ambitious Japanese games:

Raw Danger - artificial island starts sinking in the midst of the winter solstice. Perhaps the first survival game to offer Santa hats as protection against the elements. Horrid voice acting and wide breadth of insane use cases make this a yuletide favorite.

Blue Stinger - Dinosaur Island is rife with mutants in the midst of the winter solstice. You'll hear this theme a lot as you struggle with the game's lousy controls and wander through a city promising unrealized potential.

Parasite Eve - New York City is rife with mutant in the midst of the winter solstice. 80's cinema did a lot to cement the Big Apple as the definitive expression of Christmas. Square does an amicable job here conveying the holiday through environmental details, though the protagonist never goes as far as saving Christmas like in Secret of Mana.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1