• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's New Shonen Jump Service Launches With 70+ Catalog Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wished I could read it, but apparently is only available for the US and Canada. A shame.
Japanese similar services are usually free for all.
giomikass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that they're doing this! I wonder if this means that we are getting fast translations of recent chapters (cough) Seraph of the End (cough).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So now that it's out and people can mess with it, do we know if you can download chapters to read on a tablet for later? Or do you have to have internet constantly to be able to read? I ask in regards to the paid version specifically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
RahviTheColorful wrote:
Wished I could read it, but apparently is only available for the US and Canada. A shame.
Japanese similar services are usually free for all.

You should probably look into it more. It says clearly on the announcement site that:
Quote:
The offer is available in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India

They’ve also tweeted that they are hoping to expand to more regions soon.

I just signed up myself, though I was disappointed Hunter x Hunter and One Punch Man are not a part of the deal. Really hope those get added soon.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
So now that it's out and people can mess with it, do we know if you can download chapters to read on a tablet for later? Or do you have to have internet constantly to be able to read? I ask in regards to the paid version specifically.

Yes, the current apps allow downloading of up to 100 chapters at a time, which expire after 7 days unless you stay online to allow it to log in.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Seems like every news article gets bombarded with "but muh downtrodden third world country"
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I just signed up myself, though I was disappointed Hunter x Hunter and One Punch Man are not a part of the deal. Really hope those get added soon.

I would imagine this is just the start and there's more series to be added at a later time. Especially since I'm pretty sure some of the titles listed so far (like Boys Over Flowers) aren't SJ at all, so...is this actually kind of becoming something that might eventually have almost everything Viz has licensed? If so, holy crap what a deal.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Yes, the current apps allow downloading of up to 100 chapters at a time, which expire after 7 days unless you stay online to allow it to log in.

Sweet! Little disappointed at the 100 chapters at a time thing since sometimes on a slow work day, I can pretty much get through that and still have time left over (that's what an 11 hour work day will do for ya I suppose...), but it would eat up at least enough of the time that I probably wouldn't run into that problem too often (at least so long as I remembered to download more chapters when I got home each night).

Thanks for the confirmation!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
It sounds great but I just wish I liked WSJ. There was Ichigo 100%.... Tu-Luv-Ru!, the PG-13 years...
That's about it. It's sad to see every title where I think "But of course they offer [blank]" I find it immediately. It's very much for a very specific reader I take it?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It sounds great but I just wish I liked WSJ. There was Ichigo 100%.... Tu-Luv-Ru!, the PG-13 years...
That's about it. It's sad to see every title where I think "But of course they offer [blank]" I find it immediately. It's very much for a very specific reader I take it?

Sports/fanservice/comedy/drama manga don't seem to do well in the west. Weekly Shounen Jump sadly just means action series in the west. This list is tremendously small if you compare it to what all actually ran in WSJ. It's especially silly seeing the same series on there split up into multiple parts. Why split Dragonball and Yu-Gi-Oh up into 3 series when it's just one in Japan?

Also looks like Viz is changing their mind about dropping Kenshin Laughing
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Why split Dragonball and Yu-Gi-Oh up into 3 series when it's just one in Japan?

Because that's how they were released in America. Viz is simply allowing access to the digital versions of its original releases, so that's why. This is a very minor thing to bring up.

Quote:

Viz is only offering what it had already fully released in the past for Kenshin. Hokkaido Arc, which was the title that was dropped, is nowhere to be seen via the subscription service.

Hopefully, Viz will continue to add more back catalog titles over time. As mentioned, Hunter X Hunter & One Punch Man are nowhere to be seen, but the same is true for Yu Yu Hakusho, Hoshin Engi, Saint Seiya, & even JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. If anything, I'm guessing that Viz had to renegotiate deals with all of the featured managaka (& Shueisha), so some deals probably weren't fully finished yet.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Why split Dragonball and Yu-Gi-Oh up into 3 series when it's just one in Japan?

Because that's how they were released in America. Viz is simply allowing access to the digital versions of its original releases, so that's why. This is a very minor thing to bring up.

Quote:

Viz is only offering what it had already fully released in the past for Kenshin. Hokkaido Arc, which was the title that was dropped, is nowhere to be seen via the subscription service.

Hopefully, Viz will continue to add more back catalog titles over time. As mentioned, Hunter X Hunter & One Punch Man are nowhere to be seen, but the same is true for Yu Yu Hakusho, Hoshin Engi, Saint Seiya, & even JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. If anything, I'm guessing that Viz had to renegotiate deals with all of the featured managaka (& Shueisha), so some deals probably weren't fully finished yet.

On the Shonen Jump Podcast last week the editor in chief said every title they've released under the Shonen Jump/Advanced imprints will eventually be added to the vault. And that they will be fast tracking the gap for series such as Haikyuu!, Jujutsu, etc.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
I hope Saint Seiya, HxH, Tux and a lot of the more Rom/Com stuff gets added later. Also glad I won't have to pay for a whole online mag for just 2 or 3 titles I want to read.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
What no Hunter x Hunter? Pass.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
This is actually totally up my alley. A bunch of stuff I've been meaning to finish and don't feel like giving shelf space to can finally get read for a nominal fee. Several of the ones picked are on my backlog as needing to be completed, so even better.

If they branch this out to include the Shojo Beat label stuff in the future, I could only get happier.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
All in all, I'm really pleased with the new format. I'm now reading more series than ever, and looking forward to taking advantage of the backlog. I just hope they'll be able to add titles like Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter soon.

I also second wanting to see a Shojo Beat version of this at some point. I'd love having a simulpub of series like Skip Beat! and Yona of the Dawn, or just being able to have a shojo backlog to go through.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
On the Shonen Jump Podcast last week the editor in chief said every title they've released under the Shonen Jump/Advanced imprints will eventually be added to the vault. And that they will be fast tracking the gap for series such as Haikyuu!, Jujutsu, etc.

That would be cool & ambitious, especially because some titles (like Dragon Drive or Ultimate Muscle) never received digital versions, though who knows if Slam Dunk will ever happen, as Takehiko Inoue is one of those "physical release only" kinds of mangaka, as there isn't even a digital version of that series in Japan.

Really, my personal hope for this service, should it do well, is that Viz will start putting out some more series for the first time, specifically older "classics", even if only via digital. Imagine if, alongside new chapters every week, every month or two a volume's worth of something like Fist of the North Star, for example, was added for any subscriber to continue reading, and if they like it then there's enough readers then maybe a physical release could be possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1