• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Conception—Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Theron's take is the same as mine, right down to Mana eventually becoming the most entertaining part of the show despite being incredibly annoying at first. Overall, the number of episodes simply doesn't allow enough time to take on adapting a game like that. Not enough time to have that many girls, and do dungeon aspect and make the dating part seem worthwhile.

I'll also say that I don't really believe that Maya Maxwell is new considering she also supposedly replaced Felecia Angelle in the new season of Senran Kagura, which ramped up the fanservice to contain bare boobs, and she happens to sound just like her. Mana's various vocal ranges also sound way too similar to what I've heard Felecia do for me to buy they found somebody brand new that happens to be a dead ringer for another actor.
OjiOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Mostly, I agree with the review, except for Mana. Mana was annoying at first. Annoying through out the series. I dare say Mana was nasty and revolting in the 11th episode. The last thing I was looking for was a talking racoon with no manners. She was not cute or witty. She is in the great tradition of annoying sidekicks, Obnoxious. Mana's saving grace was the last 5 minutes of the last episode.

I had high hopes with the first and second episodes, but had lost it by the third. I continued watching solely in the hope it would get better. The plot was too convenient. The Girls fell to quickly. The actual fighting was barely touched on to the point I wasn't sure it was the threat they made it to be. The last episode did lessen the pain a bit but by the end of the run, I was relieved to be lifted from the burden of its simulcast. Frankly, a second season, if they dare, could get better by focusing on some character building. I don't see it happening. Given this is my opinion and I'm sure someone out there loved it.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
relative newcomer Maya Maxwell

That's just Felecia Angelle using a pseudonym.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
^^
Aaand Wikipedia confirms that.

Hunh. Did not place her, and I probably should have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Conception isn't totally without entertainment value if you mostly treat it as one big joke, and it does have moments where it betters itself. However, there isn't enough going for it overall to rise above the level of bland mediocrity.

The anime has a purely promotional function - to advertise the upcoming Conception Plus, a PS4 remake of the original Conception game. It releases January 31, 2019 in Japan.
https://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/conception_plus

Something to note is that developers Spike Chunsoft made 2 Conception games; however Conception 2 was the only one released for the Western market. Conception 2's setting and characters are independent of 1's, but the mechanics are the same.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/conception-ii-review/1900-6415727/

For those interested in playing Conception 2, note its Western release only has English dialogue, with no Japanese option.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the show worked best when it threw out any idea of being a normal romance story, and let itself be crazy. The bakery girl being the best one, where the show just let it be as crazy as possible while playing up its lewd premise. Kind of made the previous episode that went a bit too far with a Stockholm syndrome case, kind of funny by proximity by letting its crazy side fly, regardless of how things should be done. This also included a Bachelor episode, a male centred episode, and when it started to do things with Mana. There were even farm animals.

I know it has a story as an adaption, but I think it actually was doing far better when it did not let itself have to be serious, and just kind of played as a parody of other romance stuff. It kind of felt along the lines when Mana started to actually be funny from clearly being so wrong. But I also think it did not commit enough.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty hilarious and worked as a pure comedy and nothing else. I always at least liked Mana and she was my favorite by the end - best girl for sure!

It had a nostalgic feel and did fairly well with such a large cast in such a short time. It reminded me of when you were 12 and evvvvveerything could be a sexual innuendo and sex was soooo dirty and naughty - if you know what I mean!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna watch this show because I thought it would be some dumb ecchi fun but then I saw that Nazi guy’s name in the credits and just yeeted right out of there

Any show that hires that Yaginuma guy deserves to flop and I fully expect this show to if it hasn’t already
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I was gonna watch this show because I thought it would be some dumb ecchi fun but then I saw that Nazi guy’s name in the credits and just yeeted right out of there

Any show that hires that Yaginuma guy deserves to flop and I fully expect this show to if it hasn’t already

What Yaginuma are you talking about?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing SquadmemberRitsu is talking about Kazuyoshi Yaginuma, who directed Recovery of an MMO Junkie. Dunno if Yaginuma was involved with Conception since I can't find any info to confirm that and I'm not bothered to go through the credits of every Conception's episode.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I'm guessing SquadmemberRitsu is talking about Kazuyoshi Yaginuma, who directed Recovery of an MMO Junkie. Dunno if Yaginuma was involved with Conception since I can't find any info to confirm that and I'm not bothered to go through the credits of every Conception's episode.

From what I've heard elsewhere, he was twitting controversial antisemitic posts and that's why he closed his own account.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Dunno if Yaginuma was involved with Conception since I can't find any info to confirm that and I'm not bothered to go through the credits of every Conception's episode.

He storyboarded the second episode. I have no idea if this was a thing that got done before the controversy happened, but it might have. It's pretty unfortunate.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:

I am aware the reasons why an Eng. dub VA might use an alias. What I don't get is why Felecia choose an alias for this role vs. her role in "Aesthetica", which was a lot more fan service-prone.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:

I am aware the reasons why an Eng. dub VA might use an alias. What I don't get is why Felecia choose an alias for this role vs. her role in "Aesthetica", which was a lot more fan service-prone.

It could be that since this is a simuldub there was no telling how far it would go. I've seen others use aliases inconsistently before too.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
that was also six years ago, and things change in life that might require the use of alias now that didn't exist back then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2