• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Hollywood Alita: Battle Angel Film's Latest Videos Feature Interviews with Cast, S

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
I know it's a bit divisive, but I think the fact that they made Gally have the weird big eyes is easily the best part of this adaptation. It emphasizes the fact that she is an android, rather than a human, and the uncanny-valley nature of it is really spectacular.

It's similar to the gray skin of Data in Star Trek. I think that was very well-done as well. It's interesting to see this as the evolution of it, now that the technology is there.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I know it's a bit divisive, but I think the fact that they made Gally have the weird big eyes is easily the best part of this adaptation. It emphasizes the fact that she is an android, rather than a human, and the uncanny-valley nature of it is really spectacular.

It's similar to the gray skin of Data in Star Trek. I think that was very well-done as well. It's interesting to see this as the evolution of it, now that the technology is there.

I think it's really only divisive amongst newcomers.

People who read the manga or watched the OVA are already used to it. I do wonder if they've done any lip enhancing though because that was another of her prominent features.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't big eyes that was the problem. It was how they did the big eyes.

And thankfully they fixed it with a very simple thing thanks to James Cameron.
https://youtu.be/LEBVNGS16Qk

And the only other issue is that it would be easier to take in if there were other people/androids stuff that also took on the big eyes or other exaggerations so that the world would feel more cohesive. That could be the case, but if Alita is the only one with big eyes then it would just stand out even more for no absolute reason. Alita isn't the only full cyborg in this world.

But anyway, I'm really looking forward to it!
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Still don't like the big eyes, and they don't even make sense from an in universe perspective. People don't make uncanny valley robots with very human like features except for very huge eyes now. If they make a robot with large eyes, the rest of it looks not human enough that people don't get weirded out by the uncanny valley. So why would they do something like that in the future when they have all the technology in the world to make sure their robots have normal proportioned eyes? If they wanted an obviously not human look, couldn't they have made her face look more robotic and less uncanny valley? We even know from studies that robots don't have to look very human at all for people to start treating them as a human. Anyways, that's my two cents.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

People who read the manga or watched the OVA are already used to it. I do wonder if they've done any lip enhancing though because that was another of her prominent features.

People are used to big eyes in anime and manga, I don't see how having read/watched those has anything to do with whether someone would be used to it appearing in a live action film when they haven't done that for any other anime to live action adaptations. She's also not the only character with large anime eyes in the anime/manga, I don't know if you want to say that even in those hers are 'larger' than everyone else's. Even if they were I'd have to say they weren't so much larger that it was immediately noticeably unusual even from an anime/manga standpoint (looks like your typical 'main female character with anime girl doe-eyes' in the images I find online for the manga and anime).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much used to the eyes myself now but I feel like this is a case of what looks fine in anime and manga doesn't always translate well to live action and sometimes being overly literal to the source material can hurt the adaptation. On the one hand, the uncanny valley effect seems to be getting people talking about the film, which I feel like was partly their intention. On the other hand, I feel like the discourse over the eyes is distracting from the other aspects of the film to the point it's the only thing fans will talk about.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm cautiously hopeful on this. My brain tells me that there is ever chance this is going to be terrible, but my heart still wants to believe.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
It looks like they got the actress to cry as part of the mocap process in the second clip.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 am Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
TexZero wrote:

People are used to big eyes in anime and manga, I don't see how having read/watched those has anything to do with whether someone would be used to it appearing in a live action film when they haven't done that for any other anime to live action adaptations. She's also not the only character with large anime eyes in the anime/manga, I don't know if you want to say that even in those hers are 'larger' than everyone else's. Even if they were I'd have to say they weren't so much larger that it was immediately noticeably unusual even from an anime/manga standpoint (looks like your typical 'main female character with anime girl doe-eyes' in the images I find online for the manga and anime).

You don't follow that people who already know the franchise don't see the eyes as an issue ?

We know her facial features are exaggerated to distinguish her from others, hence why the people are already acquianted with the franchise do not care one way or the other as they're already used to it.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Her eyes are adorable. I think they actually matched the look of Kishiro's original illustrations quite well.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
it is good to see that the haters are disappearing from the comments. some people were ready to hate this film from the moment it was announced. this movie has already gotten a lot of positive press with early screenings... this will be the best anime-live action adaptation yet and should be enough to shut up the doubters once and for all. the negativity facing this film is completely unfair and misguided. perhaps it would be better to focus one's energy on this production being good so that future anime adaptations get the love and budget they deserve? just a thought. ghost in the shell, while not great, did have a few things going for it... i feel like we are very close to seeing an anime-live action renaissance in hollywood as the comic book stuff begins to fizzle out. there is a need and demand for it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well it's almost here. Either the film will be good or Samuel L Jackson will be the only thing good going on. He's got his work cut out for him. Well, at least it will be sorta good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1