• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Everything You Need to Know about MANGA Plus by Shueisha

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenbud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Amazing app holy shit
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Great interview!
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
"Although we at Shueisha make manga primarily to appeal to a Japanese audience, we hope that the stories can have a global appeal too"

And PLEASE, stay like this FOREVER!!!
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Amazing indeed. Now I hope Shueisha will offer titles from other demographic as well. I personally would love to see some of their shoujo and josei titles, especially as the licensed titles of the latter are quite rare in the country I live in.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Better late than never, that's for sure.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
What does this all mean for the Viz Shonen Jump app? Will that app eventually be absorbed into this new Manga Plus app? Personally I think I would prefer the Viz model of paying $2 a month for unlimited access as opposed to having to buy digital versions individually.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a better way to fight piracy then playing unending whack-a-mole against scanlators. Just put your hot new content up for free viewing yourselves and if they like it enough, they'll buy it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What does this all mean for the Viz Shonen Jump app? Will that app eventually be absorbed into this new Manga Plus app? Personally I think I would prefer the Viz model of paying $2 a month for unlimited access as opposed to having to buy digital versions individually.

By the looks of it, the Viz app has more of their backlog than Manga +. It gives you full access to ongoing and forever access to backlogs. You can also view the chapters offline by downloading it with the Viz app.
azhanei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Amazing indeed. Now I hope Shueisha will offer titles from other demographic as well. I personally would love to see some of their shoujo and josei titles, especially as the licensed titles of the latter are quite rare in the country I live in.

Amen.

What we didn't learn was when (if?) we'd be able to buy collected volumes. if I'm watching an anime that's currently at around volume 10 of its manga, skipping ahead past volume 23 in the app doesn't help.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Damns, this is good. Something of my childhood shows like Naruto would be great!!! This new app for international audience is going to be awesome, even though i don't have an Smartphone at all.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz focuses mainly on Weekly Shonen Jump titles, while MANGA Plus will have titles from other Shueisha publications, like Jump Square and the Jump+ online manga.

This line is kinda strange... the Viz Shonen Jump app already has a few SQ titles (Seraph, Blue Exorcist, 7th Garden, World Trigger), and at least one Jump+ title...

As someone who had a subscription to Viz's previous digital Shonen Jump, I'm satisfied with their new app and how it's given me access to some backlog series, but installing a second app with a lot of overlap doesn't really appeal to me. I would like to read David-kun and I'm from Japan though.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
Hey, Shueisha, if you're reading this, please consider making the Gintama manga available! Viz gave up on it, but there are fans here who'd love to read it!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
From the looks of that list, they're adding a bunch of titles that are not Viz's Jump. Basically the last 12 or so titles. I'd be so happy if they started plucking things from Ultra Jump as well.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
Would really, really like to see Reborn! on here.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Please for the love of GOD add Hayate X Blade...

edit: also Blood Blockade Battlefront because Dark Horse isn't reprinting it and some volumes are being scalped
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2