• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen Remake Game Heads West in 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
So we finally get the first part in the trilogy here in the West, officially at least. And unlike the fan-translated version based on the early PC version, this will be a remake of the PS2 version. Smile

Now, I hope they do the same for Tears to Tiara at some point.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
In for the obligatory Utawarerumono post.

I am very happy to hear about this, I never played the PS2 port of the first game, but I did play the PC port and that was not easy in the slightest.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Finally we get this one. Thank you!
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Here for my obligatory Utawarerumono post, too. I'm pretty excited about this, it'll be great to finally have an official translation of the first game. It's a shame that neither of the localization leads from Atlus who worked on the other games are involved with this, but hopefully NISA does a good job anyway.

By the way, the original PC game is only "hard" if played on a modern PC because the game engine runs too fast and it makes it impossible to do combos; the gameplay is honestly really easy, there's only a single bonus stage that I'd consider challenging at all. While the PS4/Vita remake is very nice (I imported it), the gameplay is exactly like the PS2/PSP version; it doesn't backport any of the gameplay improvements that were made in the Mask games.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
So the next question is do we get to see the anime shorts of Kuon as a kid?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

That OVA was included in the limited edition of the Japanese release, but it's not listed in NIS America's special edition, so I'm going to guess it won't be included.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

That OVA was included in the limited edition of the Japanese release, but it's not listed in NIS America's special edition, so I'm going to guess it won't be included.

Boo! Boo! I say
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
By the way, the original PC game is only "hard" if played on a modern PC because the game engine runs too fast and it makes it impossible to do combos; the gameplay is honestly really easy, there's only a single bonus stage that I'd consider challenging at all.

Which difficulty did you beat it on? Most people that I know of couldn't even get past the first fight (with the monkeys) on Hard-2.

I'm not sure about the remake, but the original game is much, much harder than the sequel games, as it offers 5 or 6 difficulties, whereas MoD/MoT only has 2, and 'hard' mode for each is complete pushover.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Which difficulty did you beat it on? Most people that I know of couldn't even get past the first fight (with the monkeys) on Hard-2.

That's fair, I'm only thinking of the "Normal" difficulty. I don't know anybody else who even tried any of the harder difficulties, since you had to beat Normal to unlock them, and there's really no point in playing through the game more than once, since nothing is missable and the "harder" difficulties are really only harder due to buffing enemy stats. The only strategy in the game is knowing how to allocate your BP and exploit enemy AI.

The main stories in the Mask games are still very easy, but at least the Dream Arenas have some legitimately hard stages and require some tactics. In any case, this version is based on the PS2 remake and doesn't have the multiple difficulties of the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1