• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Warner Bros. Chairman, CEO Kevin Tsujihara Resigns Amid Sex Scandal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
What a real shame. Not to be someone who cares about social justice or anything, but I think the entertainment media (i.e. Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, etc.) just wanted to give him negative publicity because he was a successful Asian-American businessman. They were just trying to take situations surrounding sexist dirtbags like Harvey Weinstein and John Lasseter and wrap them around his neck.

Or, maybe these allegations are indeed true. If they are, I hope he accepts responsibility for his actions. It's a real shame, because Warner Bros. has been extremely successful under his watch.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Not to be someone who cares about social justice or anything,

That's...not something to be ashamed of. No matter what the internet has told you, in real life it's a good thing to be concerned about others.

CastMember1991 wrote:
I think the entertainment media (i.e. Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, etc.) just wanted to give him negative publicity because he was a successful Asian-American businessman.

The media tends to be quicker to forgive public figures who aren't racial minorities, but I doubt that means Tsujihara is innocent. Big companies tend to sweep this stuff under the rug unless there's too much proof to ignore it. Though it might mean that he might have to wait longer before staging his inevitable comeback attempt.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
What a real shame. Not to be someone who cares about social justice or anything, but I think the entertainment media (i.e. Hollywood Reporter, Entertainment Weekly, etc.) just wanted to give him negative publicity because he was a successful Asian-American businessman. They were just trying to take situations surrounding sexist dirtbags like Harvey Weinstein and John Lasseter and wrap them around his neck.

Yeah I'm no betting man but I guarantee you that these allegations have nothing to do with Tsujihara's ethnicity especially as you pointed out that the most prominent sex scandals involving major names in hollywood involved two guys who we know aren't asian american like Tsujihara.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised this didn't involve rape/molestation/assault.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:
Not to be someone who cares about social justice or anything,

That's...not something to be ashamed of. No matter what the internet has told you, in real life it's a good thing to be concerned about others.

Oh hey, I discovered a new feature of the word filter! Very Happy I already knew it turned Ess-Jay-Doubleyou into "Shonen Jump Weekly", but not that there was an equivalent for the standard expansion of that acronym. Though I got "a person who cares about social justice" when I tried it myself, not "someone who cares...".
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So he got someone he was dating a job ?

How is this remotely different to any other hiring where people get positions based on who they know again ?
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

How is this remotely different to any other hiring where people get positions based on who they know again ?

Entertainment and media outlets are rife with nepotism and incestuous relationships, so this isn't surprising at all. Nepotism isn't illegal, but people see it as scummy and unfair. HR might also find issue with dating a fellow employee, especially if there's a power imbalance where one person has a senior position, which brings up issues that the other person feel if they reject their advances they'll be fired.

CastMember1991 wrote:
Or, maybe these allegations are indeed true. If they are, I hope he accepts responsibility for his actions. It's a real shame, because Warner Bros. has been extremely successful under his watch.

The woman involved came out in defense of this guy. She wasn't the one who reported him. It was obviously a ploy by his co-workers to oust him from the company by bringing up an old scandal.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Because giving someone a job because you are dating them is unethically. It is against many workplaces code of conduct.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't care about this sex scandal or anything but him resigning is good news that (insert whatever insult you want) was the reason the DCEU was in Jeopardy now let's fire Emmerich too.

After that we rehire Ben Affleck as Batman, rehire Zack Snyder as the Kevin Feige of the DCEU and let's have his version of his Justice League be out in theater first.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
TexZero wrote:

Because giving someone a job because you are dating them is unethically. It is against many workplaces code of conduct.

Wow I guess Disney and Ford are in deep trouble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1