• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megazone 23 Reboot Project Only Remakes Part I & II

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see the point of these remakes when the original series still exists.

Frankly, more remakes are the last thing entertainment needs anywhere. I would much rather see restorations and re-releases of more classic series at economic prices as well as new production of stories and ORIGINAL comics which haven't been adapted. We have enough existing franchises and don't need to see yet another remake of the original Gundam and other shows from the 1980s and 1990s!

It would be nice to see a re-release of the original OVAs on Blu ray in the West. Part I and II are worth it.

At least they didn't waste their money doing a remake of Part III!
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I really don't see the point of these remakes when the original series still exists.

Frankly, more remakes are the last thing entertainment needs anywhere. I would much rather see restorations and re-releases of more classic series at economic prices as well as new production of stories and ORIGINAL comics which haven't been adapted.

For starters, "remake of a 1985 anime" is more interesting than "rerelease of a 1985 VHS in Blu-Ray". Especially when the original is 80s in a nutshell with the quality expected out of an 80s OVA (which believe it or not, is something that turns people off).

The original still exists for oldschool fans, the remake will exist for those who might get interested in it now and aren't a fan of 80s OVA style of animation.
While I do agree that they should use money for adapting new stuff instead of going back and remaking older ones that definitely don't need any upgrades (I voiced this complaint in a previous article on remakes), keep in mind that this was a crowdfunding campaign in the first place, it's extra.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:21 am Reply with quote
Hrrrrrmmmmmm. Megazone 23 is an especially unique case where its datedness honestly has a lot to do with why it works at all, if that makes sense. And that's on top of general style concerns, like if they plan on ironing out the big artwork change in Part II for the sake of consistency (bleh) or CGI robots (bleh!!).

Like anything else, it could work, but I'm more skeptical than usual. I am still interested in the outright sequel with XI though, and I guess this is set up for that.

I suppose this is old news, though - I forgot it was always said the SIN segment would be a remake.

(I might be being a little unfair here though, and I hope I am, since Megazone's messages are still relevant, possibly even MORE relevant, so it'll be great if it reaches more people)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
For starters, "remake of a 1985 anime" is more interesting than "rerelease of a 1985 VHS in Blu-Ray". Especially when the original is 80s in a nutshell with the quality expected out of an 80s OVA (which believe it or not, is something that turns people off).

The original still exists for oldschool fans, the remake will exist for those who might get interested in it now and aren't a fan of 80s OVA style of animation.
While I do agree that they should use money for adapting new stuff instead of going back and remaking older ones that definitely don't need any upgrades (I voiced this complaint in a previous article on remakes), keep in mind that this was a crowdfunding campaign in the first place, it's extra.
I'm not saying that they should not remake this, but one look at the character on the bike, and to a point the design of the bike, points to this being for fans of the original. The fact this was crowdfunded adds more credit to that, how many people who had not seen the original would be interested in contributing money towards it. And the character designs they have shown off so far are close to the same style.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
A reboot of Megazone should be for the full series we never got. The sponsor pulled out of the original so the whole show was thrown into two OVA episodes. Still, it was a good enough show back when Sci-Fi was fun and new.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
or CGI robots (bleh!!).
You could be in luck, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruDbZOc-mE
Given how it is just a short, and production a 3D mech takes a lot of time and money, it is cheaper and faster to just animate it by hand if the shows length is only 10 minutes.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23 Part III was pretty bad, so I'm okay with only parts 1 & 2 being adapted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The OVA series (the original) was a mess. Nevermind Harmony gold' attempt to concert the original animes into he Robotech movie. Making new one (baring it being done low quality) would be improvement. I personally don't get why no one making new hard-core scifi stuff anymore. Yet there room for remakes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1