• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America Licenses We Never Learn: BOKUBEN, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So excited for Kimetsu no Yaiba! I can’t wait to see Inosuke animated.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much expected Aniplex to get Demon Slayer since it's a ufotable show but I do wish Aniplex did more simuldubs instead of waiting till months later to make a dub.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Now, we'll have to wait months to get a dub. Funimation should just absorb AniplexUSA already.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
We might not have to wait as long on the dubs as we think. Aniplex got The Promised Neverland, but its dub is premiering a lot sooner than anyone expected. (April 13th on Toonami; which is less than a month after the airing of the final season 1 episode in Japan)
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
We Never Learn: Oh wow their hair colours are... very diverse.
I think I've been watching too many 'grounded' animes, I forgot how bright anime characters hair colours can be, especially cause I was reading the manga.
We Never Learn is certainly a fun series but other than the premise its a pretty standard romcom.
Really cute series though... my money's on the swimming girl (ha now that I've announced it I know she'll never end up with the MC)
Also I'm what 30 chapters in and theres been just one male character getting any development, I know there are other dudes.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I was happy when I read that Funimation was going to stream Demon Slayer but of course it turns out that it was licensed by Aniplex. It is strange that Sony effectively owns two different western companies that compete for anime licenses. I was hoping that things would change in 2019 but I guess that we will continue to see Aniplex competing with Funimation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I was happy when I read that Funimation was going to stream Demon Slayer but of course it turns out that it was licensed by Aniplex. It is strange that Sony effectively owns two different western companies that compete for anime licenses. I was hoping that things would change in 2019 but I guess that we will continue to see Aniplex competing with Funimation.
I think this license for Demon Slayer has less to do with Sony and more to do with ufotable as Aniplex pretty much releases almost all of ufotable's titles. And it's my understanding that Funimation and Aniplex are owned by different divisions of Sony.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is strange that Sony effectively owns two different western companies that compete for anime licenses. I was hoping that things would change in 2019 but I guess that we will continue to see Aniplex competing with Funimation.

They could be merged at some point, but 2019 is way too soon for that. Perhaps by 2022 it will happen.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh I hope AoA gets absorbed at some point. Funi's actually willing to cater to both collectors and non-collectors alike, and they could use a "union dub" division based in LA. It would be nice to see a lot of those AoA licenses in their possession, too.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is strange that Sony effectively owns two different western companies that compete for anime licenses. I was hoping that things would change in 2019 but I guess that we will continue to see Aniplex competing with Funimation.

They could be merged at some point, but 2019 is way too soon for that. Perhaps by 2022 it will happen.

True. There has been talk of Sony consolidating things from time to time, but we haven't seen much of that so far, and it's entirely possible it will be more for things like distribution when it happens. I think Justin mentioned on an Answerman column that Sony's acquisition of Funimation is still new enough that their prior distribution networks with other companies for home video releases are still active.

It does seem a bit odd that Aniplex is working with other non-Sony companies for broadcasting, like putting shows on Crunchyroll and Toonami. However, if there is one good thing that might be taken from that it is that maybe Sony is at least open to the idea of collaboration where it makes business sense. One of the things that has worried me about the end of the CR/Funi partnership is that if Crunchyroll licensed a sequel season to something that was simuldubbed, then it leaves the status of a future dub questionable. If Sony is ok with Aniplex carrying on as usual with broadcast plans, then maybe they would be open to the idea of Crunchyroll still contracting out dubs of some shows to Funimation.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that Aniplex is owned by Sony Music Entertainment and Funimation is owned by Sony Pictures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1