• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Season 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Paul wrote:
the insanely large cast

This is not even hyperbole. In the group photo in the last episode I counted 62 of 'em! If they all had figures, you could drop about 8 grand on collecting them all (not counting Nendoroids and "awakened" versions). Very Happy

Nice shelves! I hope they're affixed to the walls. I also really liked the variety of figures, and the swords.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Space Battleship Tiramisu was hilarious; it's a great parody of mecha anime, but pretty accessible to anyone. Also, best series featuring a spoiler[sentient pube hair] I've ever seen.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Awesome shelves! The balance is perfect and the plants are a nice edition to an already bright room. I miss the shelves addition that used to come every week, too. I don't know if it is less site traffic, or if shrinking physical media collecting is too blame. I still come back every week. Thanks for sharing!
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Space Battleship Tiramisu was hilarious; it's a great parody of mecha anime, but pretty accessible to anyone. Also, best series featuring a spoiler[sentient pube hair] I've ever seen.

I loved it as well. Easily one of my favourite shorts ever!

As for Touken Ranbu, while i usually have a high tolerance for bishounen shows, i never mananged to get into this one for some reason...

And yeah, that are some awesome shelves! Smile
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The one big difference between this season and its predecessor is that it breaks up the central duo of Kashuu and Yamatonokami, with Yamatonokami absent from the majority of episodes while he's off on his self-imposed training quest.

.... which is the main reason why I never finished this, even though the first season is one of my favorite anime.
About it being hard to get invested in the characters when you don't already know them... people always say that about this, and about the anime for Tsukiuta which is my favorite thing ever, but I got into both of them from the anime. I get how they can be confusing if you don't already know the characters, but even so, like... both TRH and TsukiAni, the anime just showed certain things about certain characters, in their body language, I think, that got me hooked. With TouRabu, it was Kashuu, just... everything about him. And how adorable Yamatonokami is~ and Imanotsurugi.
And then I went and read more about the characters, and that gave me a deeper appreciation for the anime.

Katsugeki also throws you in without explanation - it doesn't explain in the first two episodes at all that the characters are swords, and not just random pretty warriors. It also has a plot that's basically the same as the plot of the first season of Hanamaru, but drawn out and less emotionally focused. More time doesn't equal more depth - Imanotsurugi's plot in Hanamaru s1 was literally half an episode and it still made me feel more than Katsugeki.

Anime smile; the one scene I really like in Katsugeki is when Izuminokami goes to Mikazuki Munechika for advice, because... yeah...

(not really related, but actually, the thing that got me really hooked on Tsukiuta was the second stage play, which... also has a plot that's really similar to Hanamaru s1 - no, really, it's a Shinsengumi AU, and one of the characters makes a wish to save the character who's Okita, and sort of breaks space-time... also, he's as sweet and fluffy as Yamatonokami. So yeah... highly recommended)

Merxamers wrote:

All I know about this series is the stage play, but it does look really funny~
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
Those shelves are gorgeous! I hope I can better organize my own some day.

Person, both TR: Hanamaru's are perishable. Watched both, enjoyed both well enough as someone who's into otome and the like. But both series are just "cute boys do cute things" and not worth watching if that's not your thing. Katsugeki, on the other hand, I loved and it was stunning. I'd still watch Hanamaru 3 if it came to exist, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone outside of the fandom. Katsugeki I could recommend to just about anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1