• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Casts John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Ale

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Not bad casting choices. Making the crew multi ethic doesn't bother me it's a space opera.
Hatsuu95

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
0/10 not diverse enough
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I do not have any hopes for this series to even have 10 percent of what made the original special, but at least the casting looks ok.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
You know what would be funny if they got the wrong breed of dog for for Ein, like everyone for the cast is fine except for Ein that would be hilarious.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I see John Cho as Spike, but I think he's very charismatic, and Mustafa Shakir was very appealing in Luke Cage and The Deuce. I'm not familiar with the rest of the main cast, though, and I'm curious to see who they'll cast as Edward.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
They made Jet Black black.
There's something extremely funny to me about this.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
You know what would be funny if they got the wrong breed of dog for for Ein, like everyone for the cast is fine except for Ein that would be hilarious.

Ein is vital
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The casting looks spot-on for the characters, but it surprises me an Asian-American actor was cast for Spike given his last name. Also that a Latina was casted as Faye, whereas in the original anime it was implied she was Singaporean. Interesting.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Its about time you posted this. I'm digging the cast. I think John Cho can can play all the sides of the Spike. He can play the fun loving side but also the serious and gritty side as well. This shows from his roles in Harold and Kumar, Star Trek, and especially Searching. I still would have loved Keanu Reeves in the role, but he's too old now. Mustafa Shakir and Danielle Pineda have been in plenty of stuff and are good actors. Now Alex Hassell is the wild card. He really only has been in British shows and movies so he is a relative unknown in compared to the others. I wonder if they had to audition or were just offered the roles. The hardest person to cast is going to be Ed. I can see why they are still looking for the actor/actress, especially if they want to go the route of basically a genderless character like in the anime. I know Ed is female but it was never explicitly stated until her final episode if I remember correctly. I wonder if they will go in the same direction of basically keeping Ed's character gender fluid. Honestly I think its a solid start and white washing shouldn't even be brought up either. Heck most of the characters on the show weren't even born on earth so there you go. .
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
They made Jet Black black.
There's something extremely funny to me about this.

He was black in the anime as well. Well, his voice actor was anyways. Wink

Speaking of, having seen Beau Billinglea do a few live action roles, would be ok if he were to have a cameo if this isn't bad.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
The casting looks spot-on for the characters, but it surprises me an Asian-American actor was cast for Spike given his last name. Also that Faye was casted by a Latina, whereas in the original anime it was implied she was Singaporean. Interesting.

Spike was based on a Japanese actor Yusaku Matsuda so an Asian actor makes sense. But I knew there was no way they'd keep the entire cast Asian. You knew at least one of the crew members was going to have to be black to fill that quota, and I was putting money on Faye just because making "Jet Black" the black guy was too on the nose, but I guess they thought otherwise. We'll never see an actual full-Asian anime adaption out of Hollywood. At least the main character is kept Asian this time instead the token Asian guy being a side character like in Death Note or Dragonball.

The lack of Ed isn't surprising. She's too 'anime' for a live-action adaption and won't be surprised if her character was cut entirely and they make Jet or Faye the hacker of the group.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Credit where credit is due, it's good on them for casting mostly unknown talent (John Cho notwithstanding). But... I just don't see the characters when I look at these actors.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Good looking cast. I like most of the sci-fi TV shows Netflix makes. Looking forward to it. I think B could be adapted to live action well. A lot of the elements in it have already been done well on TV format.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

He was black in the anime as well. Well, his voice actor was anyways. Wink

I always thought Unsho Ishizuka was Japanese of no recent African ancestry.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Not really seeing these people as the characters. Spike is supposed to look like your standard Jewish stereotype. Not to say that someone whose Asian can't be Jewish... but it just doesn't have that outward appearance.

Faye's fine, I guess, though I always saw her as being Asian.

Jet's gonna need a lot of makeup in order to pull off that 'hardened cop' look. This guy looks way too young/green to be a retired cop.

As far as Vicious goes... I just don't agree with that character even being in the show. But that's just my own bias for how I'd like to see this get adapted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6