• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Unveils Capcom Home Arcade Device for October Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Small typo: "Meta Man: The Power Battle" - should be Mega Man: The Power Battle.

...With all the collections these days for consoles, you have to wonder how successful something like this will be.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
Small typo: "Meta Man: The Power Battle" - should be Mega Man: The Power Battle.

They typo has been fixed. Thank you!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
...With all the collections these days for consoles, you have to wonder how successful something like this will be.

At first glance it seems like an over the top competitor to something like the SNES Mini, but: there's this bootleg double joystick setup (perhaps I shouldn't name it here) that's gotten quite a bit of visibility over the past year or two. That and some similar copycats.

It's full of obviously not licensed roms, goes for $100 to $200+ price points, and is sold on mainstream online vendors and touted by YouTubers. So, this looks like it could be an official response to that.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I don't like how Capcom designed this micro console. But I would've prefered if the console was designed to look like a mini CPS II arade board with some USB ports to plug any controller or arcade stick, maybe a Sega Saturn type pad could have been included. Also, only 16 games feels small compared with the Nintendo, Sega and SNK micro consoles. Though I have to admit it's really surprising that they got the rights from Fox to include Aliens vs. Predator, but it would have been even more awesome if Capcom also negotiated with Disney to include the Marvel games.
If I had to choose more titles I would include Forgotten Worlds, Three Wonders, Super Gem Fighter, other licensed titles like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and one CPS III title, Red Earth.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
Hard pass on this.
I see nothing on here that can't be had elsewhere for less.

I think the aesthetic of a system shaped like the Capcom logo is silly. Collectors might like it, but for most this will just look goofy.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

At first glance it seems like an over the top competitor to something like the SNES Mini, but: there's this bootleg double joystick setup (perhaps I shouldn't name it here) that's gotten quite a bit of visibility over the past year or two. That and some similar copycats.

It's full of obviously not licensed roms, goes for $100 to $200+ price points, and is sold on mainstream online vendors and touted by YouTubers. So, this looks like it could be an official response to that.

Yeah, I know what you mean on that, I got that as a gift, then I gave it to my friend (cause I really don't need it, and I already have a bunch of consoles and PC to use better anyways.)

While I get the point that Capcom is doing this similar to the Mini consoles these days, I see it as a a pointless endeavor, and only those that have the $$$ will be willing to get it just to go through its insides and add more, I suppose. Instead, some of these games (besides the ones that have already been in past Capcom compilations) could have been a Console/PC collection instead, but nope.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Another typo: "944: The Loop Master" should be "1944: The Loop Master".

That got me all excited that there might have been a 16-bit era Porsche 944 game I didn't know about but, alas, it's just a typo.

I'm glad there's one game with licensed properties on it, Alien vs. Predator, but there's not enough there for me to want to spend hundreds of dollars on it when I can play most of the games on that list that I want to play in various Capcom arcade game collections on disks I can get at thrift stores or flea markets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chazer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote
The only way I can see this working is if that additional USB port (it has a micro port that I assume is for powering the system and second regular USB port) allows it to double as a game/fight pad for other systems.

If that were to be the case, then it would make it a more tempting platform to acquire. Otherwise, there is nothing in there you can't get through the myriad Capcom compilations or for those less concerned about the legalities of it all, that they can't get through the emulation scene. Heck, Capcom itself is using a well known emulator (FB Alpha) rather an internally developed one to power this puppy up. I find that rather ironic.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Chazer wrote:
Heck, Capcom itself is using a well known emulator (FB Alpha) rather an internally developed one to power this puppy up. I find that rather ironic.

Double ironic as they are in breach of the terms of use of its license which explicitly forbids commercial use.

FB Alpha was developed based on earlier emulators MAME and Final Burn. MAME wouldn't be an issue as it went full open source as in can be used commercially, however Final Burn is a different story, its restrictions would probably still apply here...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1