• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic The Hedgehog Film Director: Sonic's Design Will Change

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiles

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Somebody get Yuji Naka on the line to talk some sense into Paramount.

Or maybe that already happened in the past 48 hours.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Tbh, they didn't really have to care like most video game to live action movie adaptions. I am just glad that they are doing so. However, I do think they should contact some of the people to who did some edits. They were really good.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film project first emerged in 2014 as a hybrid computer-animated and live-action feature film project by Sony and Marza Animation Planet. In February 2016, Sega Sammy Holdings president and CEO Hajime Satomi revealed that Sony Pictures Entertainment was planning the film.

So, IOW, Sony never did get the movie into production until a month after Warner got Detective Pikachu, then. Confused
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Do they even have the time?
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Do they even have the time?

Depends on how they do it. We have seen video games alter models with little external consequences, such as certain characters being refined in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, or Zero Suit Samus getting her Zero Mission costumes made in a matter of days in Smash 4. But the biggest hurdle is its interactions with the live action actors and the like, I would imagine. I can see them altering Sonic's face to be more accurate to the games as best they can, like enlarging his eyes and that white patch of fur between his eyes. But altering his body shape or proportions may complicate some things.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Somebody get Yuji Naka on the line to talk some sense into Paramount.

Or maybe that already happened in the past 48 hours.

Naka didn't design either of Sonic's two iconic designs that was Naoto Ohshima and Yuji Uekawa. And given Naka's alleged hissy fit over the team that was developing Sonic X-Treme using Nights Into Dreams to help develop that game why should anyone listen to him.....especially as he doesn't even work for Sega anymore and hasn't worked on a Sonic game since 2006.

Also

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/05/02/yuji-naka-feels-responsible-sonic-movie-strange-cg-visuals/
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Those poor animators,who are going to have to put in tons of overtime to fix that monstrous design Crying or Very sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Unless they're going to completely overhaul his proportions, facial structure, and be able to reintegrate him with the live action actors, I don't see how they can salvage this.

I wish them the best, honestly. I don't have a lotta hope for it, but I always want a Sonic movie to be good.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Eye hope this doesn't get the release date postponed... twice. Razz
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
This was the first thing I read today, and I was just telling a friend of mine yesterday that I'm 100% positive they may decide to redesign it before the movie is released.

I wish them the best. Also the story with Naka...thanks for sharing.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Darn, the meme potential! Well, who knows, maybe they'll make a trailer with a somehow worse design to be like "see? the first one wasn't so bad!"

Still, releasing the trailer like that after fans said nope to the stills is pretty brave of them.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope Sega knocked some sense into Paramount. That design looked terrible.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Those poor animators,who are going to have to put in tons of overtime to fix that monstrous design Crying or Very sad

Yep. Pray for the VFX artists about to nearly die from the crunch caused by execs thinking this was a good direction to go in months ago.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised they've made the announcement, if the wider reaction was anything like the one amongst my friends who all uttered variations on "what the...." or "that looks worse than the Mario Movie".

Unfortunately from the trailer I suspect changing Sonic's appearance (and I can't see them managing major changes in the time they've got) won't make a great deal of difference as it looks like the character design of Sonic is just the most glaringly obvious problem and probably the only one they have any chance of fixing.

I say this knowing that I'll end up watching it at some point, but then I made the conscious decision to watch Ghost Shark/Super shark and various other movie abominations.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
We know that the studio doesn´t believe in the film (they took way to long to start promoting for example) and is setting it out to die but thus is beyond pathetic. Literally noone believes in any of this yet they still want out money. Not that Sonic deserves better but i am still peeved.
I truly hope that this waste of 90 million $, promotion costs not included, ends careers as money should be burned like this. The animators will have to pull 100 hour work weeks to get even a portion of this done, to point out the true cost of all of this. To think that Blur Studio, Junkie XL and Jim Carrey are wasted on this, THIS. Especially after how good Carrey´s new show Kidding turned out to be.

In other news. Detective Pikachu is about to become the first fresh but likely not certified direct game adaptation on RT. Things are moving forwards, just not for Sega.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pokemon_detective_pikachu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3