• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Named to Librarians' Great Graphic Novels List

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
AFTER SCHOOL FREAKIN' NIGHTMARE?!?!?! WIN! THEY SO WIN!
Empathy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
AFTER SCHOOL FREAKIN' NIGHTMARE?!?!?! WIN! THEY SO WIN!

I haven't read anything, but I'll give this list my librarian! Laughing
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Empathy wrote:

I haven't read anything, but I'll give this list my librarian! :lol:

They'll know. Or they should, anyways, since the list is also going to be published in the two big magazines for young-adult librarians (Booklist and Young Adult Library Services). But pointing a librarian to the list would definitely be a convincing argument that a given manga or comic is worth buying for your library!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Victorian Romance Emma! It's a great story. Glad that Yotsuba made the list as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I love Emma, Yotsuba&, and After School Nightmare. I'll have to check out the other titles.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
After School Nightmare is pretty good, even if it is a little... silly, presumptuous, trashy. I'm glad it got some credit, it's an entertaining read.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
How do they choose which particular volume to honour?
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Woot! I love After School Nightmare! <3
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
It's good to see Mushishi, Yotsuba&!, and Translucent mentioned.

And I guess it is good To Terra was mentioned as well. Although it didn't blow me away like I was expecting, it wasn't bad by any stretch. I probably had just set my expectations too high.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Some really awesome title getting credit. To Terra, Translucent and Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms are all wonderful series. All of which deserve more credit than they most often get.

I'm also really glad that Emma, King of Thorn, and After School Nightmare made it into the top. All three are series I enjoy.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
After School Nightmare is pretty good, even if it is a little... silly, presumptuous, trashy. I'm glad it got some credit, it's an entertaining read.

Presumptuous? Maybe. But trashy and silly is it not. I think it's honest telling of one teenage intersexual trying to find out who he is within a surreal, sorta horror setting. I'm happy it's finally getting it's due because it is an awesome shoujo series so far.

So, praise for King of Thorn, in my American librarian's list? More likely than I thought! It's a seriously entertaining read so far if you like survival horror. I picked up the first volume out of curiosity because I read scanlations of the author's previous work and it was $2. I was hooked, line and sinker. I decided to read the scalations as the volumes come out and it's a great ride so far (and it's short, 6 volumes long).

Also, more praise for Fumi Yoshinaga's Flower of Life, which I think it's her best series up-to-date. She's seriously a good stroyteller, although I tend to love her shoujo titles than her yaoi titles, which is pretty good as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1