• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saudi Arabia's Manga Productions, Toei Animation Reveal Title, More Staff, Visual for Upcoming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
To promote Saudi ideas and messages internationally, huh? That's a yikes from me.
DurangaVoe

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company aims to create animation, comic, and video game projects " to "promote Saudi ideas and messages internationally."

So SA is now trying to spread its foul ideology through anime and vidya? Disgusting.

Hopefully this won't get any more traction that the Happy Science propaganda does outside of its core audience.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
Saudi ideas like genocide in Yemen? Messages like “We have oil, let us get away with anything”?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Saudi ideas like 'Hey, this journalist speaks trash about us, let's kill him and chop him to pieces'?

Well, it's not like even in Japan ultra-nationalists and religious cults don't use the medium to promote themselves. So okay, I guess?...
aruseus777

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
Toei just really doesn’t give a shit, huh?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
aruseus777 wrote:

Well, it doesn't help the Arab stereotype about the Japanese (and East Asians) being subservant to anyone who gives them money, unless you're Chinese.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Saudi ideas like 'Hey, this journalist speaks trash about us, let's kill him and chop him to pieces'?

Well, it's not like even in Japan ultra-nationalists and religious cults don't use the medium to promote themselves. So okay, I guess?...

That is a false equivalency and you know it (hopefully). There is a massive difference from having some groups in your country that try to exert influence in your media and having the LEADER of your country sanction the murder of a journalist, actively endorses the arrest of women activists, and helps commit war crimes in Yemen.

This, "on many sides" argument is idiotic and completely frames international ethics issues as "whelp because our country isn't a paragon of virtue, we can't say anything about abhorrent, shameful activities abroad." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
-SP-

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:00 pm Reply with quote
So are there going to be any fully covered up female characters in this?
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
on a related note, did anyone watch the Dubai-produced animated series "Emara"? It's free on YouTube and is about a vigilante Arab girl that fights crime in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. it's got an English dub and I really suggest watching it https://youtu.be/3ytnzJjEyAM
#Satou

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
aruseus777 wrote:

Just like absolutely all other companies? Money talks, even the west favorite Studio Trigger will love a deal with saudi arabia for money.
aruseus777

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
#Satou wrote:
aruseus777 wrote:

Just like absolutely all other companies? Money talks, even the west favorite Studio Trigger will love a deal with saudi arabia for money.

I certainly agree that capitalism is the root of all evil, but personally I don’t think that excuses the actions of individual companies. And assuming any other studio would do the same is conjecture. If every studio was making anime to spread authoritarian propaganda, then I think they should all be shamed.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
^
jumping to conclusions much? The article says it's based on Arabian folklore. Let's not judge until we actually see the animation, ok?
methedemon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
the hate and bigotry in this thread is disgusting, what the hell.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
on a related note, did anyone watch the Dubai-produced animated series "Emara"? It's free on YouTube and is about a vigilante Arab girl that fights crime in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. it's got an English dub and I really suggest watching it https://youtu.be/3ytnzJjEyAM

Thanks, this looks nice. I'm happy to find they also uploaded it in Arabic with English subs - normally I prefer to watch anything in its original language, not for any silly superiority delusion, but just as a preference. Also a novelty, in this case.

Informal Arabic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LneTmKxQzkY
Formal Arabic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdilk1OVl8
Nacirema

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
methedemon wrote:
the hate and bigotry in this thread is disgusting, what the hell.

The problem isn't that there Arab people involve, the problem is the human rights in Saudi Arabia is bad. I am concerned about studio coproductions in China as well for the same reason. I really want to see a Arab Jorge Gutierrez or Hayao Miyazaki rise up, but the company involve in this production is directly connected with Mohammed bin Salman, someone who ordered a Arab journalist to be killed. People should be concerned about human rights, and I want to see more of the same reaction when China news appear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2