• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fans Pick Which 1st Season Outshone the Sequel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
16. Higurashi: When They Cry

The anime-only crowd strikes again.

That being said, I think most of the rest of this list is pretty agreeable.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely Bizarre to see K-ON on this list when the 2nd season was pretty much superior to the first series in every single facet and yet Haruhi 2009 is just barely in the top 10 and is an agreed upon huge drop in terms on enjoyment and quality compared to the first Haruhi series. I also found Higurashi Kai to be a much better series overall than the first series.

My pick would be Minami-ke though, as the first season shines far brighter than any of its sequels (though the 4th one, Tadaima was a big improvement on the 2nd and 3rd seasons).
Sekaro

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
If another poll like this comes again in the next few years, I'm willing to bet One Punch Man S2 will end up at the top of the list. That said, I'm not saying it's a complete disaster. I still find the new arc to be quite enjoyable to watch but it's definitely no S1.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Darker Than Black.
Lucky_Deity

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Out of the shows I've seen on that list, I can agree with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but I think we all can. Attack on Titan though I disagree with, I prefer S2 and S3 so much more though that may be because around the time I watched S1, no one would shut up about it thought it was very overrated though S2 and S3 are fantastic mostly, need to re-watch S1, opinion may change now, has been a long time. I do love S1 though so no one get the wrong idea, just prefer the following seasons.

Now with Lupin the Third, I've only seen Part IV and Part V so I can't comment on the original three parts though I did prefer Part IV over Part V but Part V was still fantastic but IV beats it just a little more for me. Need to re-watch the Blu-Ray of Part IV I got recently.

EDIT: I've seen S1 of SAO and that was bad enough, so I have no intention of watching S2 though I may check out SAO Alternative as I've heard good things about that. One of the SAO games I've played was fun as well and I like Yui and Klein so it has its strong points.
The movie also looked a little interesting but would need to watch S2 prior to that so probably won't bother with that.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Fully expected Osomatsu and Kemono there - expecting One Punch Man to join this list if it's ever redone. Disagree with Attack on Titan as I think they're all about as good. I guess the impact is just gone for a lot of people because it's no longer new. Don't really understand Natsume's - there are seasons that aren't as good as the others but it's not a straight line down or anything like that, just really depends on how much the season is trying to focus on a plot instead of having episodic encounters. I can understand Higurashi because I sort of felt like it too - the second season finishes up too clean I'd say, and anyone who didn't want it to be an actual mystery story got disappointed when stuff got explained.

Now I will fight against the people who voted for Railgun and Durarara.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
One Punch Man sure is lucky that this poll was conducted before its current season ended.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think like 90% of all sequels are inferior.... It's much harder to find one that's BETTER than the first season
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
19: Overlord

I fully understand why Overlord made the list, but I simply can't agree (at least for season 2; haven't seen 3 yet). Its extended "side stories"--as I imagine many fans see them--help give the New World breadth and life, and the series overall has so many strong (or at least promising) secondary characters that it can well afford to take its focus from Ainz and Nazerick for a spell. I figure my attitude stems from many years of tabletop GMing my own campaign setting, and seeing in Overlord the same sort of effort I had to put in to make my own world seem real.

However, I'm sorry to see Hozuki's Coolheadedness on the list (haven't seen season 2 yet).

And what, no Gunslinger Girl?
IboughtYoulunch13times

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything except for Attack on Titan and Code Geass. I don't have as big an issue with changes in theme, perspective or pacing between seasons as many do. All I care about is if those changes are well thought out (Attack on Titan) or sticks the landing (Code Geass)
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Not at all surpised to see Gundam 00 on there (personally I'd rank it higher). IBO also makes sense, though I wouldn't put it very high. I imagine being more recent helped it raise the ranks.

Haruhi makes sense with Endless Eight being in season two.

Considering how many there are, I wonder which Lupin series this considers?

I wouldn't agree with Overlord, though season 2 did have a weak start with the Lizard arc going on as long as it did, so I can see why people would think that.

As much as I enjoyed it, I'd have to agree with Code Geass's second season being weaker than the first.

I haven't seen Osomatsu, but was the 2nd season really that bad, or was the 1st just that good?
grooven

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Highly disagree with Attack on Titan and Nastume's Book of Friends. Like seriously, they only get better in my opinion. I also don't agree with Higurashi.

I do agree with Gundam 00 for sure that second half was pretty bad.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lupin the Third
That's rather vague, does it mean part 1 is better than part 2? or part 4 is better than part 5?
Covnam wrote:
I haven't seen Osomatsu, but was the 2nd season really that bad, or was the 1st just that good?
Honestly I thought the second season had better episodes, it had a better finale, the season premiere was better(season 1 didn't really get good until ep6) and had more standout episodes.

That said I do suppose that eps6-25 of season 1 are all good, where as season 2, in-between the standouts, has some episodes that are very mixed in quality. And they could have stuck with people more than the great episodes did.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Psycho-Pass 2 in that list. I liked the first series but couldn't get more than four or five episodes into the sequel,
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
I did like season 2 of Osomatsu. I thought it was a little more interesting than the first season for some episodes, but otherwise I agree that there were some elements missing from the second season that I loved in the first one (like the bishonen matsu).

For now I'm waiting for Viz to drop that home release like it's no one's business

Psycho-Pass 2 definitely needed to be in there. I didn't like it that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2