• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RADWIMPS Band's Yojiro Noda Causes Online Stir with Anti-JSDF Tweet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although Japan has been constitutionally bound against declaring war on other nations since 1947, it maintains military forces in the form of the Self-Defense Forces. The SDF is mainly deployed in non-combatant roles in peacekeeping missions and disaster relief operations. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's data, Japan spent approximately US$46.6 billion on its military in 2018, making it the world's 9th biggest military spender.

In what way isn't it an army in all but name?
Having a force capable of defending the country in a crisis and keeping its abilities adequately up to date to be able to respond to new threats is the modus operandi of military forces world over. USA aside, declaring wars and sending for offensives overseas isn't in the daily checklist of your everyday army, at least in modern era...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Cost is an issue with the F-35 since it is questionable whether the stealth is worth the additional cost. With that being said Yojiro Noda has zero understanding of history if he thinks that Japan not having a military would make war impossible. If you don't have a military to defend your country that just means that you lose a war very quickly.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
He's not wrong. Nationalism sure doesn't need a better military.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
A lot of Japan is very naive on what it means to denounce war. Denouncing war does not mean other people will never attack you it means that you will not fire the first shot. And a lot of Japan does not trust America to defend us if Korea or China decide to attack and have been pushing for Japan to regain it's independence for years.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Japan is literally right next door to a China that is growing more and more agressive and emboldened as time progresses. Let's not forget that China has not forgotten how its people were treated by Japan in World War 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why China hasn't acted up till now is because of the US.

In a perfect world I'd agree with the critique of the JSDF as in the article, simply because it would be unnecissary War is stupid, and in the end accomplishes nothing. However we don't live in that perfect world and you must be prepared that is reality.

Simply put Freedom isn't free.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is typical celebrities flapping their gums without knowing what they're talking about.
Japan is surrounded by enemies like China and North Korea. It needs a strong military (SDF). The Japanese have been living in a naive daycare for three generations where the US Military takes care of all their problems for them. That situation is not sustainable. Already the US is shirking its duty to protect Japanese borders from Chinese aggression. Some day the Japanese are going to have to take care of themselves on their own.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Yeah, this is typical celebrities flapping their gums without knowing what they're talking about.
Japan is surrounded by enemies like China and North Korea. It needs a strong military (SDF). The Japanese have been living in a naive daycare for three generations where the US Military takes care of all their problems for them. That situation is not sustainable. Already the US is shirking its duty to protect Japanese borders from Chinese aggression. Some day the Japanese are going to have to take care of themselves on their own.

Like you, I guess. He knows what he's talking about. The US forced them into this situation after WW2. A lot of Americans act like we're doing Japan a favor but we didn't give them a choice, Per Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution, effective 3 May 1947, Japan would not use force to settle international disputes.
Quote:

Article 9. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.
In order to accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized

Anyway, I found this incident a bit funny considering last year Yojiro got in trouble for a song that seemed too nationalistic https://soranews24.com/2018/06/13/radwimps-singer-offers-apology-explanation-after-new-song-is-accused-of-inappropriate-nationalism/

So literally the opposite thing >.>
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong to say that maybe that money could have gone to social services for Japanese instead of military?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:

There is a certain irony in this, given the history of Japanese imperialism and its aftermath after the Japanese wars with China and Korea. If my memory serves me, in these countries, hinamaru is still considered a symbol of foreign aggression and banned.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Japan is literally right next door to a China that is growing more and more agressive and emboldened as time progresses. Let's not forget that China has not forgotten how its people were treated by Japan in World War 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why China hasn't acted up till now is because of the US.

It's worth nothing it's not just Japan. China has been aggressive claiming territory against literally every single nation it borders, except Pakistan, because they need their alliance if war against India breaks out.

Even outside of economic reforms, for a while it looked like China was becoming more free, but then along came Chairman Xi, who has revered course, becoming brutally authoritarian on citizens and attacking Taiwan's sovereignty. Ironically, Taiwan is the successor government of that in power of most of Mainland China during the Second Sino-Japanese War, was also a brutal dictatorship, but is now a mostly-democratic, close ally with Japan.

Heishi wrote:
Is it wrong to say that maybe that money could have gone to social services for Japanese instead of military?

Except he never said anything about where that money would go to, rather related it to recent tax hikes, much of which is actually going to social services because the usual ballooning entitlements of retiring baby boomers.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

In the same way your car or health insurance payment could be going towards your other bills I suppose. But it's a bit more complicated issue than that, at least as far as the US military budget goes. I don't know anything about Japan's military budget breakdown, but as far as the US military budget goes, part of that does actually go to social services. About 25% of the US military defense budget goes to veterans benefits like vocational training, disability, healthcare, home loans, retirement, and funeral services. Not to mention the thousands of jobs those services and facilities indirectly create as a result of existing. Not sure if Japan's budget also provides the same things as ours does
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Like you, I guess. He knows what he's talking about. The US forced them into this situation after WW2. A lot of Americans act like we're doing Japan a favor but we didn't give them a choice, Per Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution, effective 3 May 1947, Japan would not use force to settle international disputes.

We forced Japan into it initially, but it isn't like they are forced into staying on that course. We are also the ones who kind of forced them to back track and convinced them to start up the SDF.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

It's worth nothing it's not just Japan. China has been aggressive claiming territory against literally every single nation it borders, except Pakistan, because they need their alliance if war against India breaks out.

Even outside of economic reforms, for a while it looked like China was becoming more free, but then along came Chairman Xi, who has revered course, becoming brutally authoritarian on citizens and attacking Taiwan's sovereignty. Ironically, Taiwan is the successor government of that in power of most of Mainland China during the Second Sino-Japanese War, was also a brutal dictatorship, but is now a mostly-democratic, close ally with Japan.

I am sorry.....but what

"China has been aggressive claiming territory against literally every single nation it borders", excuse me, what about Russia, Kyrgyzstan, North Korea, Laos, Myanmar.......etc.

Also please free to verify yourself, even before Xi(who I have very bad impression of), China has NEVER recognizes Taiwan's sovereignty(and USA stop recognizing Taiwan's sovereignty as an independent state after 1979), even in 1950s , when it was a weakling country that literally all of its surrounding neighbors try to take its advantage, funny how time change huh.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

In a perfect world I'd agree with the critique of the JSDF as in the article, simply because it would be unnecissary War is stupid, and in the end accomplishes nothing. However we don't live in that perfect world and you must be prepared that is reality.

Simply put Freedom isn't free.

If that is how you view most Chinese would do to Japan, then as a American (just turn to citizen years ago) who has Chinese and Japanese blood, this truly saddens me.

Which era are we in.....in this global era where one major economic power's fall could spell the doom for entire world, who in the right mind would start a war for that stupid and childish reason. Yes, it would be a sin for China to formally forgetting its disgraceful and sorrowful memories in WW2, but it does not mean the whole country is stupid enough to launch a payback especially in this modern age.

Given how closely the two countries associate themselves culturally and economically now days, I am so glad most Chinese aren't that stupid and close-minded to do something like that.

From someone who has seen what American soldiers did in Okinawa firsthand when I was briefly living in Japan (you are free to do some research), I can tell you America and Japan's relationship is never an equal ally. Are we protecting Japan in the name of freedom or use them as containment and safe measure against Russia (now China), I think you have some idea.

One last thing, what western media depicts is NOT what China is all about, and Chinese media is also guilty of exaggeration on its depiction of real American society. I am lucky to have both to know which of their source is free of stereotyping and generalization, and what are they trying to hide.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Is this publicity stunt of some sort? (for what, I don't know)
I mean, I've heard stories how those J-artists are micromanaged by their agency/manager.
Wouldn't be surprised if that includes their twitter account.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:

People in glass houses and all that...

- Over the last decade or so, Japan's military spending and the JSDF's capabilities are both markedly expanding beyond that of simple self defense capability.

- Several times in the same time period, Prime Minister Abe and his party have tried to pass a law "re-interpreting" Article 9. (For "re-interpreting" read "gutting" - basically allowing the JSDF to take a far more aggressive regional stance.)

Both of these things are taking place against growing nationalistic rhetoric. A lot of people, inside and outside of Japan are concerned over this confluence.

And last but not least, the F-35 is seen by many (not entirely incorrectly) as something of a boondoggle - with a cost exceeding it's value. It's had an extraordinarily trouble plagued gestation period. (And many of the problems have been with basic, long mastered stuff such as the oxygen system. That's not a good sign.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2