• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Licenses 'Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?' Anime for Ju

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Dang. Was kind of hoping Funi would get this and simuldub it.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well that was unexpected. I'm honestly not expecting much from this show still though
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm just here for Pochi.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
for anyone wondering, this at LEAST means it will stream on Hulu
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Well, there is the chance that Aniplex could give it a simuldub. If not, then it is possible they might give an Eng. dub in the fall.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Same... oh well so much for owning it on blu-ray or dvd someday. I ain't got that kinda money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
So it's not just Ponycan that's a cause for concern. Aniplex=Licensed BDs with import tier prices.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Welp, that means it won't air on Crunchyroll in many European countries.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Drifter24 wrote:
I'm just here for Pochi.

Mostly same
(I am enjoying the first novel though)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Well, there is the chance that Aniplex could give it a simuldub. If not, then it is possible they might give an Eng. dub in the fall.

So far Aniplex USA hasn't show any interest in doing simuldubs and they are attached to the Japanese sales model. The disc release would be at least a year from now and it is a coin flip if a show gets a dub release or if it gets a subtitled release like Plastic Memories.
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
This franchise, if Internet buzz and LN coverage was any indicator, was primed to blow up in a big way in the West, and Aniplex USA is literally a cosmic cork on the bottle. The franchise, at least as an anime, will wither on the vine and quietly die like everything else Aniplex licenses (except Kill La Kill and Sword Art Online, somehow).

For the umpteenth time, Aniplex operates as a protectorate, not as a for-profit company that actually wants people to buy and enjoy their products. If they actually wanted the West to enjoy what they have they wouldn't do the things they do to keep 99% of the interested audience from owning any of it.

I dunno if this show is worth it but I admit I'm just a little disappointed, because it seemed there was a lot of genuine interest from the West here, and Aniplex will smother it like they always do. I'm not even angry at what Aniplex does like I used to years ago, I'm just disgusted.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I dunno if this show is worth it but I admit I'm just a little disappointed, because it seemed there was a lot of genuine interest from the West here, and Aniplex will smother it like they always do. I'm not even angry at what Aniplex does like I used to years ago, I'm just disgusted.

pretty much this...i have two issues with aniplex

1. is course the cost which is ridiculous, i may be part of the problem since i personally bought most likely 1500 dollars worth of anime from them...limited versions of every SAO/alternative ggo/asterisk war/persona 3/4

2.Unless im a huge fan of something i buy dub only and i looove harem animes and they simply wont dub many(which i guess could be called a blessing and a curse, since it means i wont buy it so i can save some money Razz)

i had interest in this/Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai/and Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs which are all 50/50 if they get dubbed at all and even then the prices are no doubt 60-80 bucks for 6 episodes

least i have persona 5 and SAO alicization too look forward too, let the price gouging commence!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Welp, that means it won't air on Crunchyroll in many European countries.

With the exception of the UK & Ireland, none of them on CR. Wakanim (owned by Aniplex) is their go to service for Europe, but apparently is only available in some countries.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Eh, that seems like a pretty long shot. The last time they did a simuldub for streaming was Durarara 2. (If memory serves there, the production schedule didn't stay consistent, but maybe I'm wrong there.) They did get the dub for Promised Neverland out pretty fast, but I have to think airing it on Toonami was the reason for that. I don't expect that Toonami will have any interest in this title.

Personally, I'm disappointed with this announcement. Like others have said, whether it might get dubbed at all is questionable, and if it does get a home video release (AoA has no qualms about not releasing discs, after all), we know it will be pricey.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
As a full time working adult without family to support, I can afford Aniplex discs without much complaint. However most of their shows don't have lingering impression for me to buy their discs outright. Only Aniplex titles I have are Garden of Sinners, Madoka Magica, and Oreimo.

I think it's the fans who tend to buy things on IMPULSE and bent on AMASSING media collection, aka Media Hoarding, are the ones who complains a lot rather than ones who really considers long term consequence of owning it.

If you have Aniplex discs and planning to hold onto it no matter what, then good for you. That tells me that you really value your possession and owning up with what you have. I've seen people buy all kind of anime merchandises out of impulse and most of them eventually give up due to life changes (Boyfriend/Girlfriend, Family, etc). I even met a guy who decided to get rid of his anime figurines once he found himself a girlfriend.

As a fan who used to collect a lot of anime DVDs, I am gradually giving up MEDIA HOARDING in general. Whether the anime disc is $50 or $200, I don't have room in my tiny apartment to store anime DVD's which I'm going to watch once and never likely to visit again. As I was cleaning out my parents garage, I had anime DVDs which I haven't watched for 15 years!

Endlessly complaining at Aniplex doesn't help the fact that demand for physical media slowly shrinking and even non-Japanese publishers are starting to get on aboard with limited/collector's edition market with higher price discs loaded with extras.

Besides, price of Anime DVD is just a reflection of quantity of copies which are likely available rather than some kind of sinister price gouging scheme cooked by said company. Even though Anime DVD printed by local US publisher are cheaper than Japanese counterpart, they don't make killing selling their discs. Not only that, popularity lifespan of a typical anime title is so short that most of them are easily forgotten with few months. Media Business has to be quick about it to cash in the popularity while it's hot.

I remember seeing a screenshot of Japanese variety show claiming that "Kill me Baby" discs sold 60,000 copies in the North America and maybe they made exaggeration to get attention. Exaggeration or not, cheaper disc price always attract more buyers than Japanese domestic side, but the revenue doesn't seem better than Japanese counterpart in my opinion.

Nowadays fans can watch anime anytime they want with streaming until license expires. Even if the license expires, it's not like fans are going to pop in DVD disc right away because there are so many new shows are vying for our attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2