• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Female-Centric Doujinshi Vendor Meikido Lives Again

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The female-centric merchandise store Surugaya…

Surugaya is female-centric in its current form? I think of it as a sort of collectors' quality eBay for otaku that specializes in doujin goods. I've never gotten into doujinshi, and maybe that's why I've never noticed a specialization in female creator works, but I've ordered a few doujin ongaku CDs from them in the past and they're known in that community as a best bet for finding older and event-only releases that you missed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
Nice to see they found a way to not disappear entirely. Some changes were obviously necessary or they wouldn't have been going out of business in the first place, but hopefully it keeps the same feel.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
tojikomori wrote:
Quote:
The female-centric merchandise store Surugaya…

Surugaya is female-centric in its current form? I think of it as a sort of collectors' quality eBay for otaku that specializes in doujin goods. I've never gotten into doujinshi, and maybe that's why I've never noticed a specialization in female creator works, but I've ordered a few doujin ongaku CDs from them in the past and they're known in that community as a best bet for finding older and event-only releases that you missed.

Yeah, they aren't female-centric but rather a great place to find everything. That bit from the article seems like either a bad typo or poorly-researched description.

I do buy a bit of doujinshi every so often and, much like with figures and goods, Suru carries a wide variety of the stuff; there's no focus on one audience over another.

Anyway, glad to hear Meikido will live on, and partnered with Suruga-ya, no less!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, calling Suruga-ya female-centric is a major mislabel. It offers goods for everyone, and there's 200,000+ doujins both for the male side and female side, so they're catering to both audiences.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Also confused by the Suruguya labeling here, lol. Maybe they mean the female-centric side will be receiving some assistance from Meikido? Still a difference, but as close as I can think they maybe meant?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1