• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiro Mashima Launches Manga Mini-Series in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
You missed a bunch of follow-up tweets by Mashima explaining the details of the mini-series, which may or may not warrant its own article:

This tweet says it's called Heroes, and it's a crossover between Edens Zero, Fairy Tail, and Rave Master. The tweet comes with a key visual for the project as well.

This tweet says that his ongoing biweekly manga, "Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest", will be published on a weekly basis for the duration of this new series' run.

And this tweet is to assure fans who are worried about his health, since he's essentially working on three weekly manga at the same time.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Cool to see Rave again, but I dropped FT 100 Years Quest some time ago and stopped reading EZ almost as soon as it started. So suffice to say I don't have high hopes for this.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cool to see Rave again, but I dropped FT 100 Years Quest some time ago and stopped reading EZ almost as soon as it started. So suffice to say I don't have high hopes for this.

Edens Zero and 100 Years Quest are in different places from where they started, and both are well above where Fairy Tail ended.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Edens Zero and 100 Years Quest are in different places from where they started, and both are well above where Fairy Tail ended.

Thats not that high of praise seeing as how FT started dipping almost immediately after Tenrou. From what I've heard thats been happening in 100 Year Quest, doesn't sound like its gotten much better. Same with EZ really.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
immblueversion wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Thats not that high of praise seeing as how FT started dipping almost immediately after Tenrou. From what I've heard thats been happening in 100 Year Quest, doesn't sound like its gotten much better. Same with EZ really.

The biggest problem with FT is a problem neither EZ nor 100YQ have: a directionless plot. FT was like that from the beginning, just throwing in new ideas for new stories on the fly, with loose plot threads in between to tie them together but it worked well enough that some people actually believe he was planning the series up until Phantom Lord or some nonsense. But as you can see, that only works so well for so long.

EZ and 100YQ both have firmer story direction that sets up a goal early on, and focuses on the characters working to advance themselves towards that goal. Mashima still makes up new ideas like he did with FT, but they're now in the confines of a more solid plot structure, EZ especially. It has the added benefit of new characters that are actually more different and distinct from FT's characters than they appear on the surface, and a greater emphasis on the world than FT.

I'll tell you right here and now: EZ's vibes are closer to Rave than FT.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
And this tweet is to assure fans who are worried about his health, since he's essentially working on three weekly manga at the same time.

Well he's not illustrating 100 year quest and this series is biweekly so it would be more like 2 manga series he's working on rather than three. Despite how lackluster his story telling may be the speed at which he draws is legendary.
Serinox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

Well he's not illustrating 100 year quest and this series is biweekly so it would be more like 2 manga series he's working on rather than three. Despite how lackluster his story telling may be the speed at which he draws is legendary.

100 Year Quest will go from biweekly to weekly for the duration of Heroes. Also, Mashima is doing the storyboards for 100 Year Quest, so while he is not doing the full illustrations, he is doing a big part of 100 Year Quest.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it! Say what you will about the flaws in both Fairy Tail and Edens Zero - some of which I agree with, others I don't entirely - they're both fun reads for me. I hadn't gotten too much into Rave Master - I'm slowly collecting it and reading it as I collect the old volumes - but that's been enjoyable too. So I'm sure to like this. >w<
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, FT and RM share the same world, Haru and the gang have appeared repeatedly on FT, there is also a crossover chapter.

EZ can appear too thanks to the the series particularity, so it's not a crazy idea.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This man is a work-a-holic, I hope he takes a break after this
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Any guesses as to what makes Mashima-sensei so skilled at his drawing speed?
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
immblueversion wrote:

100 Year Quest will go from biweekly to weekly for the duration of Heroes. Also, Mashima is doing the storyboards for 100 Year Quest, so while he is not doing the full illustrations, he is doing a big part of 100 Year Quest.

Well drawing storyboards isn't too much work since it's basically just rough sketches. And the manuscript and other drafts for those chapters would've been completed a while ago anyway. The amount of work he does for that series would be pretty minimal now. Mashima is constantly drawing outside of the manga anyway, frequently drawing stuff that he posts on his twitter and promotional artwork for his series.

Even if Mashima was drawing all 3 series, Mashima has shown in the past that he is an absolute workhouse. The biggest example being when he did 2 chapters per week for 4 consecutive weeks, with a fairy tail zero chapter and omake chapter on top of that (so 10 20 page-chapters in a month). He has never taken a break, and has done multiple chapters a week and multiple series at once several times now. He's never really had any health issues, so really, if anything, the biggest challenge in all this would just simply be time.

Also, this is a mini-series, it's not gonna be something he's going to be doing for a long period of time. Even if he's drawing all 3 series, as long as it's only for a short period (so probably a few months), Mashima would have no problem handing such a workload.
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
While I think Mashima is a great artist, seeing all those characters together really highlights how unoriginal he is with his character designs. I can't barely tell some characters apart.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ZephyrVayu wrote:
While I think Mashima is a great artist, seeing all those characters together really highlights how unoriginal he is with his character designs. I can't barely tell some characters apart.

Then consider this series a potential way for Mashima to poke fun at the similarities while also highlighting their differences, like his first crossover.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1