• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anonymous Twitter Account Spreads Alleged Leaked Photos of AKB48's Yui Yokoyama Kissing Bo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifter24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Cant believe this is news. Seeing it used as a plot device is one thing but this.....smh.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
the article wrote:
"The cult of purity around idols and performers needs to stop already."

Damn right it does. They're human, and they're just as entitled to being in relationships and being happy as normal people are.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
These urnalists are at it again, you'd think these "publications" stop after a tabloid targeted a 5 year old idol a few years back. Is the money and clicks worth putting idols at risk, this isn't Hollywood where such things are universally revered and accepted.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago this probably would have been a big deal. Judging from the twitter comments in this article, it seems some people are pretty grown up about it and realize it's not much of an issue at all.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
A few years ago this probably would have been a big deal. Judging from the twitter comments in this article, it seems some people are pretty grown up about it and realize it's not much of an issue at all.

It's nice that some level of maturity has developed from the fandom over the years but cmon are people in japan still that obsessed about idols being pure and all? i mean cmon it is about time they let them have a social life and it wont effect there idolism, i read so many stories from former idols who has suffered so much from depression and anxienty of melchonly cause they were not allowed to socialse or date the opposite sex and these crazy hardcore stalking fans who bother them and even make threats(in some cases actually carry out).This so called news agency needs to be shutdown and respect privacy
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
DTJB wrote:

It's nice that some level of maturity has developed from the fandom over the years but cmon are people in japan still that obsessed about idols being pure and all? i mean cmon it is about time they let them have a social life and it wont effect there idolism, i read so many stories from former idols who has suffered so much from depression and anxienty of melchonly cause they were not allowed to socialse or date the opposite sex and these crazy hardcore stalking fans who bother them and even make threats(in some cases actually carry out).This so called news agency needs to be shutdown and respect privacy

The quoted Tweets only have 4 likes each. It's just two cherrypicked replies, not indicative of any kind of majority opinion
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
DTJB wrote:

The quoted Tweets only have 4 likes each. It's just two cherrypicked replies, not indicative of any kind of majority opinion

If you'd like, you can read all the Twitter replies to the tweet. Most of them are similar to the ones quoted. I just did a count and 20 out of 28 say either "Who cares?" or "It's wrong of you to report on this."
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am Reply with quote
Frog-kun wrote:
If you'd like, you can read all the Twitter replies to the tweet. Most of them are similar to the ones quoted. I just did a count and 20 out of 28 say either "Who cares?" or "It's wrong of you to report on this."

Even if all 28 replies were standing up for Yui it would be 28 people out the millions of fans AKB48 has. And some of the replies on that Tweet are from westerners chastising the idol industry using badly machine translated Japanese. There was numerous Japanese news sites, blogs, and message boards covering this with thousands of posts. Some might have defended her but you don't get thousands of posts over a non-issue because many were complaining about it. And when all's said and done if this wasn't a big deal, she wouldn't have had to apologize and ask for forgiveness or left her fate up to management. I just don't want people thinking a couple of replies on a random Tweet are somehow indicative of the industry. It's still the same as it ever was.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
@Jen Bigby
Sorry, unlike the poster before you, you have presented no evidence at all the majority did not defend her, no matter how your posts were worded. I'll take the word of the previous poster until then.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The mods can correct me if I am wrong, but what I have read on ANN over the years, is that the Idol industry is a niche industry. AKB48 may have broken out of that or not, but most of the rest are just that. It is those obsessive fans that everyone hates who support that industry.

The prime role of an Idol is not singing and dancing, it is acting the part. If you unwilling to act the part, then you have no business in this particular industry. Nothing stopping you from blazing your own trail, or joining the rest of your peers in fighting for singing and dancing parts in those industries.

If you were able to wave a magic wand to eliminate the Idol industry, all you would really be doing is making people lose their jobs, including the Idols. Whether it is the United States or Japan, actors, singers, and dancers must fight to land their jobs, most people lose and fall by the wayside. The Idol industry is just another means of girls to achieve their dreams. Yeah, it might be unfair, and they have to put up with lots of obnoxious fans, but in some ways, who has it harder and Idol that has to act a part even outside of commitments, or the front line person at the Taco Bell counter. While that might not be a fair comparison, each industry has it's good and bad. It is the participant that decides whether it was worth it or not.

As long as nothing criminal is happening to the Idols, I am not for denying them their choice and chance at achieving their dreams. Doesn't really matter what we think of their chances or results.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yeah, it might be unfair, and they have to put up with lots of obnoxious fans, but in some ways, who has it harder and Idol that has to act a part even outside of commitments, or the front line person at the Taco Bell counter.

Does Taco Bell hire 14-year-olds and place contractual restrictions on their private lives?
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yeah, it might be unfair, and they have to put up with lots of obnoxious fans, but in some ways, who has it harder and Idol that has to act a part even outside of commitments, or the front line person at the Taco Bell counter.

Does Taco Bell hire 14-year-olds and place contractual restrictions on their private lives?

Point is, the idol industry does live off whales purchasing merchandise left and right, and the angle the industry has been pushing for a long time is the idea that these girls are all "cute girl-next-door types who need your help (read: money) to achieve their dreams of stardom, so please keep supporting them (read: buying merch and event tickets) and one day they might notice just how much you did (bought) to help her". It's BS of course, but it does target enough people into thinking that if they support an idol enough she might take notice of him, establish some kind of rapport and then... Who knows? Idol careers are very short, afterwards she might need someone with a stable income to stick with her and support her... Or so the rationale goes.

That's why you'll always see management do the bare minimum with this stuff. They'll report to the police anyone who gets physical, but you'll never see them actually try to change the attitude on their community. They've known for years the kind of fans-performer relationship they were fostering and they leaned into it - and they're gonna keep leaning into it because it's where the money is. They can't really do away with that part of the business because without it they only have the song and dance - and actual talent in the idol industry is hardly a requirement.

So yeah, I suppose it's good to see some people pushing back against this part of idol culture, but unless they're ready to back that stance by voting with their wallets and being a lucrative part of the community that doesnt care about idol's private lives, then management is too busy selling merch and fanclub subscriptions to fans who very much care if the girl they're supporting has a guy waiting backstage or not. "I mean it she's taken, why shouldn't I give my money to one of the other thousands of more available idols?".

If you think that's icky, well it is, most businesses that rely on whales are to be honest, but does are also the ones who are most averse to change, so I'm expecting change to come slow if at all.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The mods can correct me if I am wrong, but what I have read on ANN over the years, is that the Idol industry is a niche industry. AKB48 may have broken out of that or not, but most of the rest are just that. It is those obsessive fans that everyone hates who support that industry.

The prime role of an Idol is not singing and dancing, it is acting the part. If you unwilling to act the part, then you have no business in this particular industry. Nothing stopping you from blazing your own trail, or joining the rest of your peers in fighting for singing and dancing parts in those industries.

If you were able to wave a magic wand to eliminate the Idol industry, all you would really be doing is making people lose their jobs, including the Idols. Whether it is the United States or Japan, actors, singers, and dancers must fight to land their jobs, most people lose and fall by the wayside. The Idol industry is just another means of girls to achieve their dreams. Yeah, it might be unfair, and they have to put up with lots of obnoxious fans, but in some ways, who has it harder and Idol that has to act a part even outside of commitments, or the front line person at the Taco Bell counter. While that might not be a fair comparison, each industry has it's good and bad. It is the participant that decides whether it was worth it or not.

As long as nothing criminal is happening to the Idols, I am not for denying them their choice and chance at achieving their dreams. Doesn't really matter what we think of their chances or results.

It would be easier to use that hypothetical wand to have idols more geared to general audiences in Japan over just obsessed otaku instead of destroying it. It would certainly be more profitable that way if done right.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

It would be easier to use that hypothetical wand to have idols more geared to general audiences in Japan over just obsessed otaku instead of destroying it. It would certainly be more profitable that way if done right.

Problem is Japan already has that, in the same way the United States has. They are just not called Idols. The Idol industry was created for the otaku and their wallets. Get rid of the otaku and there are no jobs and no industry. That is why Idols are more actors trained to sing and dance, than singers and dancers. It is easy to see the appeal of the industry. All you have to do is learn to sing and dance, and follow orders. The industry will train you to do that, and they will write your songs and choreograph your dance moves.

I am not saying the idol industry is better or pretty, just that it has an appeal to those that join. As long as they are willing to pay that Faustian price. For those just beginning in the mainstream industry, well that too is a dog eat dog industry. Just for different reasons.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

This is just defending the exploitation as somehow necessary. There were plenty of jobs that had nasty stuff expected, like "if you want to be a secretary, you must bear harassment from boss with a smile, and if he wants sex and you don't he may fire you", or "int his business you need to work 100 hours per week or GTFO", or "we don't have time or money for safety, sometimes someone will die, you just have to be carefull on the job". One example with the smoking ban in pubs: people used to say "you have to deal with getting second-hand smoke's lung cancer if you want to work in pub", and yet after the bans in manny countries pubs are still open and people working in pubs don't have to choose between having work or healthy lungs. We can and did change what is considered criminal when it comes to jobs and we are better for it, industries simply adapted to the new regulations. Idol industry is even worse because it preys on the young people who are easier to keep under control and convinced that the idol purity BS is necessary, so they (the young idols) cannot try to change the system themselves.

You seem to say that the industry can be either as it is now or destroyed completely, but discount the possibility of the change in idol fans' communities attitude - lot of western stars are also famous more due to image and fandom than actual skill, yet there is much less pressure on their lifes, so it's possible to have that kind of arrangment. If the fan communities start shutting out most obnoxious and creepy fans and become less entitled to their idol lifes, they can still have the idol industry, just with less horribleness. As long as idols have their meetings, get-photo-with-me events and similar stuff that keep idols close to their fans, they can all be happy.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Just because something isn't criminal doesn't mean it cannot be criticized. Sometimes what is necessary is not new laws but just change in community or industry regarding what is acceptable. Of course, sometimes we need to make new lawas and change the definition of "nothing criminal is happening" when this "nothing" is deeply immoral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2