• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Demon Lord, Retry!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Honestly C's are about right. The show never did anything terribly wrong but it also could have been better in some areas.

Also if I remember correctly I think this was the studio's first major anime undertaking outside of doing shorts so honestly for their first real showing this wasnt terrible.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
They should have gone with the manga character designs cause the LN versions were bland at best and just fugly for most of it. And the production was as bad "death march", but at the most I always viewed this series as a passable waste of time. Not the anime just the series in general.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote
This show was content being right in the middle.
It wasn't a looker, but it didn't look awful either. Nothing it did was terribly interesting, but nothing was terribly bad either (except for Yukikaze, maybe). It wasn't very original but it wasn't completely derivative either.

It wasn't boring but it wasn't hilarious either. It was just pretty amusing.

There are far better shows that I missed on this season but I don't regret watching this one. There's something of value in this kind of modest, harmless, dumb and easily digestible stuff.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
You kept your word Theron and reviewed this after it finished aired either, I tip my hat to you Smile

Everything that was said in this review pretty much sums up this series as a whole, it is not a great show but it is not bad either, if u get used to the animation the show can be entertaining and the key factor to that were the characters especially the main lead and isekai tropes it managed to parody, when a series is self aware enough that it knows it is not great and yet uses it to its advantage it makes for an entertaining watch.

I would say that out of the isekai titles that aired this season, it would probably be the best(except maybe cop craft but that depends on your taste as it is more of a detective show than an isekai outside of the setting) Arifuerta is abysmal, Cheat is too Generic, and The Mom isekai is to cringy(it has it's moments but not much). I would still recommend this for a watch if u just want something to pass the time or if u are bit of a fan, I would recommend to still try the manga, the art is definitely an improvement, i can't speak for the ln as no translations exists yet.

With all of that said tough, i think everyone can finally realise that the isekai trope has definitely reached it's saturation point and we are getting more of the less fantastic adapted ones animated a lot more frequent. As much as i am fan of isekai japan needs to cutback on it by a lot as of this point.

So A C+ is pretty spot on Smile
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Theron. I had a decent time with this, but it also wasn’t the most fun I had out of a series this season. I would be fine with a second season to at least continue where the cliffhanger left off. For a first full-length production, the studio could have performed a lot worse and I’ll be curious to see what their future will look like.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
funny thing my favorite scene ( of the manga) was when the cross dresser acts cute to the mc, which episode does this happen in the anime ? I wonder if the character designs ruined that scene.

[EDIT] searched for demon lord retry crossdresser in youtube, found the scene right away and it was indeed ruined, and f that's the average quality of the show, yes, it's a pretty bad adaptation, though not horrible. at least this teaches me not to judge the budget by the chaarcter designer, since I expected this series to get a decent budget because the hcarcter designs lookso similar to rezero's.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I found it to be lighthearted fun, but engaging enough to keep drawing me back for more. I have only really watched four series this time. Demon Lord Retry for one.

Arifureta - Descent into despair watching
Isekai Cheat Magician - Okay anime, but Demon Lord Retry was better

Vinland Saga - Great Viking fun that one.

I hope for a second season of Demon Lord Retry, but I don't put too much faith in that happening. May have to cheat and read the summaries to find out what happens in the Light Novels.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This was the standard for this season.. meh anime series and a dull 2019 summer anime season overall.

C is about right.. while not bad, not great either. The first few episodes were its strong point. Then it just went vanilla, but not as vanilla as wise mans grandchild.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
This was the isekai in which I had the least hope before starting the season but ended up being my favorite of the 4. I really liked it.
The "To be Continued" gives me hope but doesn't really mean anything concrete, after all I'm still waiting for Masou Gakuen's S2 after the "To be Continued" at the end of the series Crying or Very sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think that I mostly liked it too. In comparison to other shows this season, it was not as generic as Cheat Magician, not as edgy as Arifureta, not as... whatever I can explain Mom isekai as, and not as weird with cuteness of little girl daughter character as For my Daughter Demon Lord.

I mentioned more in the series discussion section that I thought that it felt a little tasteless how the crossdresser was portrayed with like neon signs as being "a man", since their passing felt like trying to trick if that was their identity. And yet I oddly like the character.

And yeah, the hot spring bit does drag it down a bit, with my complaints was that it was not convincing enough with being a plot around economic means, and wish something like it could have been integrated better. Not feeling like they scammed some lady with soap to take advantage of her influence.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
This was the standard for this season.. meh anime series and a dull 2019 summer anime season overall.

I strongly disagree. This is probably the strongest summer anime season of this decade. There were strong titles like O Maidens in Your Savage Season, Astra Lost in Space, Granbelm and Vinland Saga. While not as great, Lord El-Melloi II, To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts and Demon Slayer were consistently entertaining. And we might be witnessing the next big shounen hit in Dr. Stone.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
May have to cheat and read the summaries to find out what happens in the Light Novels.

FYI, J-Novel Club is translating the both the light novels and the manga, with Bookwalker releasing the LN parts each week for $1 each if you feel like buying those rather than getting a JNC subscription or waiting for the ebook release.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

I strongly disagree. This is probably the strongest summer anime season of this decade. There were strong titles like O Maidens in Your Savage Season, Astra Lost in Space, Granbelm and Vinland Saga. While not as great, Lord El-Melloi II, To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts and Demon Slayer were consistently entertaining. And we might be witnessing the next big shounen hit in Dr. Stone.

Astra is only strong if you don't think about it and Maidens is only decent if you don't drag the author's own Toradora out from the previous decade as the supreme romantic comedy drama that it is; Was I the only one who felt one of those was stretched out while the other was compacted beyond belief? It's nice they're both complete but they're not the good kind of complete.

Dr. Stone? I watched the first episode, got it and promptly dropped it. And when I want to watch vikings, I usually just play the Age of Empire games... they colonize, they raid, they discover, vikings are the real life version of a RTS game as they didn't do anything else. I suppose there's Beowulf but "I am so awesome" stories are a dime a dozen for every culture.

And then there's Demon Lord Retry. It's amusing but I find the character designs so off putting that I don't like to watch it. I also have smoking aversion/lifelong respiratory problems so I prefer to stay from depictions of chain smokers in any form... he blows smoke on other characters and I'm holding my breath breath while they don't even flinch?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Astra is only strong if you don't think about it and Maidens is only decent if you don't drag the author's own Toradora out from the previous decade as the supreme romantic comedy drama that it is

Mari Okada did not write Tordora...you just invalidated you're own argument.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
Nice review, Theron. I gave the show about four episodes and then just sort of dropped it without malice. It was not really doing anything for me, but I intended to maybe go back and finish it off at a later time. I still might simply because the comedic elements were at least something to entertain me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2