• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Stampede Film's Opening Day in U.S. Ranks at #6

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
As expected, Rank is a bad measure. Everything below it has either been in theaters for awhile (IT Chapter 2) or are films no ones really heard of. Actual sales and money made is way below everything above it. I don't like ranking since it says more about other movies' performance, really.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Stampede nearly trampled over Gold's entire NA run in one day. There's a lot of demand for this movie, so let's hope Funimation and Toei do the smart thing and expand more Stampede screenings.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
I didn't go to the first day, but I went yesterday. Not a sold out crowd, but still plenty of people.

Also got a fun story from it, I have no idea why, but they showed the Mulan remake trailer before it. Someone screamed out "NOOOOOO!" as they realized what the trailer was for... Pretty sure they were muttering other things before they screamed it out.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
I really hope the dub showing does good
yanv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Caught a sub showing yesterday here in NYC. Theater was packed. Fun movie but I still think Gold was the best of the recent bunch of flicks.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Only $400,000? Broly made like $7 million.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:

Since when are we comparing Dbz popularity in America to One Piece? We all know the dbz is most popular anime after Pokemon

You're always in One Piece news articles with a salty comment, and I still don't know why you keep up with the franchise at this point. Are you doing it to feel better about DBZ lack of quality?
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Since when are we comparing Dbz popularity in America to One Piece? We all know the dbz is most popular anime after Pokemon

You're always in One Piece news articles with a salty comment, and I still don't know why you keep up with the franchise at this point. Are you doing it to feel better about DBZ lack of quality?

Lol "after Pokémon". As if those movies could even get a theatrical showing any more, they're straight to TV now.

Obviously DBZ is more popular than One Piece but it's a pretty poor showing that it only did 6% of Broly, that's just pathetic. Even My Hero Academia did almost a million and that's new.

Also kind of odd that you seem to know more about my posting history than even I do.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
TheConqueror wrote:
Bullza wrote:

Lol "after Pokémon". As if those movies could even get a theatrical showing any more, they're straight to TV now.

Obviously DBZ is more popular than One Piece but it's a pretty poor showing that it only did 6% of Broly, that's just pathetic. Even My Hero Academia did almost a million and that's new.

Also kind of odd that you seem to know more about my posting history than even I do.

I know you from that other forum that you got banned from. It seems your actions are not being accepted by the the dbz fandom as well. All your comments that are related to One piece are salty comments comparing it to dbz.

One Piece has never been popular in America because of the poor introduction that it had here, and the length of series as well. Its more popular in Asian countries. Stampede did $30 million in china alone. Also, Its popular in certain countries in Europe. One Piece first day in America outgrossed film gold entire theatrical run, so thats a big improvement to the franchise in the U.S

MHA is more popular than One Piece, and I'd argue that MHA is mainstream. Its the new great shonen with a great anime. One Piece will never be mainstream in America because of the length of the series that makes it intimidating to potential viewers. Maybe after the series is done with something like dbz kai, It will bring a lot of fans into the series. Comments like yours downplaying the success of stampede and always comparing it to dbz is really weird. One Piece grossed almost $90 million worldwide, and that is without having popularity in America. Its officially the highest grossing One Piece movie, and its theatrical run is still going strong in certain countries. I think its better to focus on DBZ since you're a fan of that.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
Well One Piece is poor compared to DBZ so that's only natural, it can be popular elsewhere but this article is about America. That is a pitiful gross, to the point you have to wonder why they would even bother.

No of course MHA isn't mainstream, DBZ is just about mainstream itself. MHA is just a somewhat new and popular anime yet still is able to far outgross One Piece which has been around for years.

What makes it worse is that MHA actually opened in a smaller amount of theatres than One Piece and it still made over twice as much money. The MHA movie wasn't even any good.

They shouldn't have even bothered with a theatre release at all for it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:
Well One Piece is poor compared to DBZ so that's only natural, it can be popular elsewhere but this article is about America. That is a pitiful gross, to the point you have to wonder why they would even bother.

No of course MHA isn't mainstream, DBZ is just about mainstream itself. MHA is just a somewhat new and popular anime yet still is able to far outgross One Piece which has been around for years.

What makes it worse is that MHA actually opened in a smaller amount of theatres than One Piece and it still made over twice as much money. The MHA movie wasn't even any good.

One Piece may not be a hit here in the US, but it has a HUGE following among DBZ fans. It's just thanks to the 4Kids dub that it got a bad reputation.

Also, the only place I've ever seen MHA merchandise anywhere outside of DVDs is GameStop. And even the DVDs I saw at Walmart never get picked up, yet MCU movies always seem to fly off the shelves.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone who expected a Broly level box office was out of their minds. That was a combination of being Dragonball, a series so popular Mexican sports bars showed the Tournament of Power arc, and it being in the dead of January with very few competitors.

One Piece is not mainstream in the US, no. It probably will never be thanks to 4Kids unless that live action OP series with the Game of Thrones level budget sees the light of day and then somehow becomes a huge hit. But this is still a decent amount bigger than a one night only Fathom art house release.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Anyone who expected a Broly level box office was out of their minds. That was a combination of being Dragonball, a series so popular Mexican sports bars showed the Tournament of Power arc, and it being in the dead of January with very few competitors.

One Piece is not mainstream in the US, no. It probably will never be thanks to 4Kids unless that live action OP series with the Game of Thrones level budget sees the light of day and then somehow becomes a huge hit. But this is still a decent amount bigger than a one night only Fathom art house release.

But at least it has a following, especially among DBZ fans.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Bullza wrote:

Okay enough with the dunking on both movies just cause DB made more money. Yes we get it, DB is ginormously popular but that doesn’t mean anything who doesn’t make DB level money is a failure.
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not about it making Broly level movie, it's about it making no money at all. It's opening is less than half of Battle of God's, a movie that pretty much everyone had seen by the time it released because it came a year and half after.

Than a One Piece movie can open in more theatres than MHA and still make half of it is just poor. A series thats been dubbed by funimation for over a decade, has several movies and this did only $400,000.

Your Name which was also by Funimation, isn't even an established series did $700,000 and that released in 200 fewer theatres.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3