• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sword/Shield Become Fastest Switch Games to Sell 6 Million Copies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
This goes to show that even if there was legitimate criticism, it's not worth it to get too involved in online fandom drama and that what goes on social media and YouTube is not reflective of consumers as a whole.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yep, turns out most people who liked Pokemon six months ago still like Pokemon. The controversy seems to have lessened, if anything, now that the games are actually out.

Partly, some things just weren't clear from advertising. Once you get to the first gym, it becomes obvious why mega evolutions were removed--Dynamaxing fills that niche, being sort of a cross between megas and Z-moves. And you can use it on anything, not just a few specific mons. Quite a lot of interesting experimental new stuff in these games. They even found a solution to the infamous "leftover starter Pokemon" problem... but maybe that's been done before, have skipped a few gens.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually having a lot of fun with these games. They're not Super Mario Odyssey-quality titles by any means, but if you're a Pokémon fan, you won't be disappointed. Hopefully the anime featuring Galar Pokémon (Scorbunny, etc.) makes it to the US sooner rather than later.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Imagine how many more games would have sold if over a quarter of player's favorite pocket monsters hadn't been removed.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Imagine how many more games would have sold if over a quarter of player's favorite pocket monsters hadn't been removed.

A negligible amount. Majority of consumers are likely new players who have no prior pokemon to transfer. Plus its selling 2 times better than Let's Go which also didn't allow transfers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:

.....It sold 6 million copies even with the cuts that's a good number. I don't know why contrarians have made it seemed like the game shouldn't have sold that much simply because they took out 400 (old) Pokemon. If those people you mentioned were only going to buy the game exclusively on the basis of the National Dex those people aren't really fans.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised by this. Yes, I am still disappointed in how many of the Pokemon were removed from the game, but the features added into the game have made up for it. While the graphics can be a bit odd - depending on how you end up angling while you're walking and moving around the Wild Areas, you can see the gridlines in the trees and such - they are miles above what I kinda expected. I love how much expression they've given to the MC and just the characters in general. So far I'm not very far and I can't tell who is the true "bad guy" of the story, which is something I liked from Sun/Moon. Dynamax is pretty darn fun still. Just, overall, I think it's a good game. Flawed in some regards, yeah, but good.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm not too surprised by this. Yes, I am still disappointed in how many of the Pokemon were removed from the game, but the features added into the game have made up for it. While the graphics can be a bit odd - depending on how you end up angling while you're walking and moving around the Wild Areas, you can see the gridlines in the trees and such - they are miles above what I kinda expected. I love how much expression they've given to the MC and just the characters in general. So far I'm not very far and I can't tell who is the true "bad guy" of the story, which is something I liked from Sun/Moon. Dynamax is pretty darn fun still. Just, overall, I think it's a good game. Flawed in some regards, yeah, but good.

I totally agree with you. On a side note, I bet you money Level-5 is scratching their heads seeing the success of Sword and Shield. Their so-called Pokémon killer, the once popular (in Asia) Yo-kai Watch - and yes, I know I've mentioned this topic so many times - has pretty much lost Japan at this point due to Yo-kai Watch 4 bombing, and this is the final nail in the coffin. There is no resurrecting Japan.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
You also have to keep in mind the holidays are coming up soon and a lot of parents will be buying the game for their kids then so they'll get an even bigger boost from holiday sales.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Partly, some things just weren't clear from advertising. Once you get to the first gym, it becomes obvious why mega evolutions were removed--Dynamaxing fills that niche, being sort of a cross between megas and Z-moves. And you can use it on anything, not just a few specific mons..

You're assuming Dyanmaxing isn't going to go away next generation like every other previous generation defining feature they've done. Laughing

HAL14 wrote:
A negligible amount. Majority of consumers are likely new players who have no prior pokemon to transfer. Plus its selling 2 times better than Let's Go which also didn't allow transfers.

Pretty much this. Pokemon is going hard for the Go audience these days. Most of the streamers on Twitch I've watched are people who haven't played the games since first gen. It sucks, but that's kinda what happens when a franchise gets too big for its own good and doesn't need the dedicated fans anymore.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope they take out the ability to Run & Fly next game and see the sales skyrocket. Gen Z are sheep.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I hope they take out the ability to Run & Fly next game and see the sales skyrocket. Gen Z are sheep.

Yeah how dare those people spend their hard earn money on games you don't think they should buy cause it doesn't have stuff you want in it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
You also have to keep in mind the holidays are coming up soon and a lot of parents will be buying the game for their kids then so they'll get an even bigger boost from holiday sales.

Yep, it's that time of year again. I have a feeling that by the end of Christmas, Sword and Shield will overtake Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (or at least Smash Ultimate) as the best-selling game on the Switch. The UK is definitely helping with the success as well, seeing that Galar is based on Britain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:

If anything the controversy probably served as a free advertisement and social awareness campaign that helped sales.

Most people will never come close to completing the national dex so the cuts are an extremely niche issue.

Last edited by #873796 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've played since X and Y (I tried Sun and Moon briefly), and I started with the original on Game Boy. I'm... surprisingly enjoying it more then I thought I would. I was sketpical about the Dynamaxing. I thought it looked stupid as hell but I actually really enjoying seeing my Pokemon get huge.

I also really enjoying the camping feature, though I worry about the effects the spinning of the stick going to have on my controller when you are cooking.

The removal of a lot of older Pokemon also doesn't bother me. There over 800 PKM and they where going to have to do it at some point so it's not a surprise they did it when they moved to a console. It was actually one of the things that appealed to me because I got tired of seeing the same shit over, and over, and over again.

Alcremie going to kill me though. I want all the forms o___o

I do like some of the little gimmicks though, like the pokemon that can be in a counterfiet teapot. It's the small shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2