• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Opening Songs of Fall 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes beaststars absolutely deserves the spot in my opinion. call it being handed to the op for the stop motion if you want, but everything in the op works really well I think. Studio orange are real artists in whatever medium they choose to use I think, and it shows in that op.

Stupid question not meant to start a flame war. Does anyone else hate mayday the new fire force opening? I really wish they had just kept inferno with it's vast amounts of steller animation, and perfectly matched song and storyboarding. where as mayday.....maybe someone who likes the genre will like the song by it self...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Stupid question not meant to start a flame war. Does anyone else hate mayday the new fire force opening? I really wish they had just kept inferno with it's vast amounts of steller animation, and perfectly matched song and storyboarding. where as mayday.....maybe someone who likes the genre will like the song by it self...

I don't hate the song, but I think that the animation doesn't fit it at all. I think it would've worked better on a grittier series, but the song alone is quite good.

Also, I wish we could add other options to the poll, because I like Dark Crow, from Vinland Saga as well.

But Beastars? HELL YEAH! And that's called JAZZ!
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I too think that the best song is Dark Crow from Vinland Saga. Man With A Mission are an amazing band and they never disappoint. But of course the most special seems to be Wild Side. Maybe it's because we don't usually hear such funky/rock n' roll music so often in anime openings.

Question: Is the guy singing Wild Side the same guy that sang the Megalo Box opening "Bite"?

The rest I have not seen except Boku no Hero Academia and I honestly don't know how it got itself in the top 5 of this list. I have seen people referring to My Hero Academia as "My Bad Music Academia", and though I personally don't think of it as bad, I can easily see why. All of its openings are generic shounen action on purpose, just like the show - TOO much like the show. There is no special beat or specific artistic look in them, just a vaguely catchy beat and recycled themes used in the visuals. Being an action shounen doesn't mean you need to have generic openings all the time, Naruto had some amazing openings and Bleach's music, despite of all the series' shortcomings, was almost always top notch. It's not so bad but BHA certainly does not deserve to take any top spots in that specific field.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The Pillows are top tier. Carl Kimlinger's an idiot for calling them "pop garbage".

Based on what I've heard so far in full, my vote's for Motor City.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I think "Survive of Vision" from Blade of the Immortal is both the best and the worst opening song of the Fall 2019 season. I love Kiyoharu's singing, but man, those Engrish lyrics are so bad that if someone told me he came up with them on the spot while recording the song, I'd buy it.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:

Question: Is the guy singing Wild Side the same guy that sang the Megalo Box opening "Bite"?

I /almost/ made this mistake while writing the script for this but the guy who sings the Megalo Box opening is Leo IMAI and the guy that sings the Wild Side song is Leo IMAMURA. I don't think they're the same guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
"Wild Side" is definitely the best OP I've seen this season, not only for the song but also with its impressive use of stop motion visuals. Too bad it's still in Netflix jail...
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
The rest I have not seen except Boku no Hero Academia and I honestly don't know how it got itself in the top 5 of this list. I have seen people referring to My Hero Academia as "My Bad Music Academia", and though I personally don't think of it as bad, I can easily see why. All of its openings are generic shounen action on purpose, just like the show - TOO much like the show. There is no special beat or specific artistic look in them, just a vaguely catchy beat and recycled themes used in the visuals. Being an action shounen doesn't mean you need to have generic openings all the time, Naruto had some amazing openings and Bleach's music, despite of all the series' shortcomings, was almost always top notch. It's not so bad but BHA certainly does not deserve to take any top spots in that specific field.

Bleach and Naruto have like over 15 or 20 openings. For every 1 that sounds "unique", there's 5 or more that is what you would call a "generic opening."

About Fire Force's Mayday, while the song is fine the actual animation doesn't fit the song. Its most noticeable in the action scene of the song where the fight is to slow & stilted to properly synch up with the song which is worsened if you compare the better fight animation to the first OP.
tbrown3514

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I really like Kabuchiko Sherlock’s opening.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised how everyone hates mayday like me. I REALLY HATE the animation or lack their of for the first 30 seconds of it. and then you get another case of Arthur and shinra fighting...sigh.

Then as other people have mentioned the animation for the fight contrary to the infenro animation does not work AT ALL, also compare the use of stills in mayday to inferno, there is only like 3/4 seconds of stills in inferno vs almost a minute in mayday I think.

Then you get the actual lyrics which (again) unlike infero Doesn't really have a good link to fire force in terms of visual story telling and working with the show.

In another question, does anyone else actually like (not say better then) the MHA 4 ed more then the opening actually. sayuri is one of my favorite current JP artist so seeing her do such a strong song is awesome for me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
I can't say I like the new MHA OP or some of the others listed, my favorite OP this season is Mashiro (Ascendence of a Bookworm). Well done and unusual using 5/4-time to good effect which gets my musician blood going. Also not appreciating Jacki's approach to these musical lists since they just seem to be the songs she/they like(s). Formerly, the writer of the column on the same subject actually critiqued the songs to show how they were good and why they were chosen other than "they're the Pillows YO" (do like the Pillows BTW because of tight composition and use of tension). Also how they integrated with the visuals to convey the mood of the story, which Beastars' OP just fails on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
My favorite OP this season, for Babylon, wasn't on the list. Sure, it's only 30 seconds (and as far as I can find, doesn't have a title), but it's 30 seconds of pure Yutaka Yamada goodness. I could listen to it on repeat all day.

Has anyone else noticed a larger than usual variety of OP lengths this season? They run from 30 sec up to nearly two minutes. Most are still 90 sec, but it used to be they all were.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I can't say I like the new MHA OP

I personally find it not nearly as good as most of the previous from MHA. I'd replace that with Man with a Mission's Dark Crow.

I haven't heard many say they like Azur Lane's OP but I did, May'n has such a great voice even if it isn't one of her better songs.

Last edited by Levonr on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oof. I really love Mayday. The OP for MHA is good, but it definitely has better ones.
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun's opening was robbed by its exclusion! Such a catchy, cheerful, goofy song which makes you want to hum it for days. Sadly I will have to wait to compare it with BEASTARS thanks to Netflix, who think it's ok to put the DB movie up completely untranslated for a week yet shy away from simulcasting before a dub is ready and everything can go up at once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2