• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: After the Rain's Jun Mayuzuki Launches New Manga on November 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
I really like After The Rain so I am looking forward to see what this new endeavor is about.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Doc wrote:
I really like After The Rain so I am looking forward to see what this new endeavor is about.

Same here. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
After reading its first three chapters on YJ's website, I have to say that the background setting is highly anachronistic, with details and elements from several different eras and locations. Shocked Of course, we can ignore those inconsistencies and focus on her emotions instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
In Kowloon Generic Romance, the frame which depicts signs for ophthalmologists is a parody of the 'ophthalmologists' scene in Tsuge Yoshiharu's Neji-shiki (Screw Style).
The Neji-shiki scene reimagined in a マンガっぽい 'cartoonish' style is funny.
It is said that the 'ophthalmologists' scene in Neji-shiki is modelled upon a photograph taken by Taiwanese photographer 朱逸文.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
It is said that the 'ophthalmologists' scene in Neji-shiki is modelled upon a photograph taken by Taiwanese photographer 朱逸文.

Tainan, 1962.

For the record, those receipts with dual QR codes and eligible for lotteries are Taiwan-specific as well; such receipts and the lottery system have never been adopted in Hong Kong / Kowloon or Japan. spoiler[Probably modeled those receipts she got during her last visit to Taiwan for After the Rain.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Invoice_lottery
統一發票 (臺灣)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Tainan, 1962.

Yeah, I have read an article which says that the photo in question was taken in 臺南.
The photo was carried in the Photo Art magazine in 1963 in Japan. I guess '1962' is the year when the photo was taken or the photo first appeared in Taiwanese (or other non-Japanese) media.
邱永漢 and 安藤百福 were born in 臺南, if I remember correctly.
So, in a sense, using Neji-shiki and the photo by 朱逸文 as intermediaries, the 'ophthalmologists' scene in Kowloon Generic Romance depicts 臺南, rather than 九龍.

Hmm...it seems that Android cannot deal with the so-called 康熙字典體 version of '逸' well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1