• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass & Black Butler Creators, J.C. Staff Make Skate-Leading Stars TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
So younger version of Yuri on Ice? (This time more team-based than individual competition) Can I expect some beautiful sakuga and faithful/realistic representation of LGBTQ ( maybe just teasing based on the high school setting) elements; or am I asking too much?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Taniguchi is doing more stuff (like Maria) that's outside of his perceived comfort zone. That's pretty cool.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
So younger version of Yuri on Ice? (This time more team-based than individual competition) Can I expect some beautiful sakuga and faithful/realistic representation of LGBTQ ( maybe just teasing based on the high school setting) elements; or am I asking too much?

I don't know much about JC Staff's current output in terms of sakuga, so your guess is as good as mine on the first question. That'll probably also depend on how much they're willing to invest in this project, compared to whatever else they're working on at the time.

Regarding the second...who can say? We don't know anything about the story or characters yet.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if this is going to get compared to Yuri on Ice, and whether it'll harm it if it does and it doesn't live up to that standard set by YoI.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm already intrigued because of the premise (figure skating fan) and Toboso's character designs ensure an aesthetically pleasing cast. Fingers crossed this can be a fantastic original anime whether it's steeped in genuine, heartfelt queer content like YOI or otherwise.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
I can't help but wonder if this is going to get compared to Yuri on Ice, and whether it'll harm it if it does and it doesn't live up to that standard set by YoI.

Frankly, it probably won't be nearly as critically acclaimed as Yuri on Ice. I'm expecting this to be pretty good, not necessarily great. It'll appeal to some of the same people, most likely, but I don't think it'll equal or surpass YOI's popularity either. Which is fine, not everything has to be huge.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yuri on Ice was good because it was original, one-of-a-kind. It left such a deep impression that, I'm sorry but, any skating-related show that comes after will be in Yuri On Ice's shadow. It's like every boy idol show that has come since Uta no Prince Sama, every mecha show that has come after Gundam, every Basketball show that has come since Slam Dunk. It's the fate of anything successful to spawn similar things.

Black Butler and Maria the Virgin Witch was also good because it was original concepts - it hadn't been done before. So to me, it feels a bit like a bit of a waste for this great team to do something on ice skating, something that may turn out mediocre in the end. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Plus, looking at the date, then anyone who knows anything about anime production would know that pre-production could take anything up to two years and more to when a show starts airing. Which means that planning for this probably started after, and as a direct result of, Yuri on Ice's success. Trying to ride on Yuri On Ice's success is a thing in on itself...

Lastly, honestly, Goro Taniguchi's record isn't all that great - His recent works include the average likes Active Raid, ID-0 and Revisions. As for J.C. Staff, I've only noticed them making many shows per season, which inevitably lead to divided attention to animation quality.

Anyway, I'm raising my eyebrows at this one.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
It’s perfectly acceptable to compare this to Yuri on Ice because we all know that the show would not exist without it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this will have good LGBTQ content a la Yuri on Ice.
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime centers on high school students in a competitive team-based version of figure skating named "skate-leading."

So one thing's for sure: we can't expect this to be an accurate portrayal of figure skating like Yuri on Ice was, since it's already taking liberties with how the sport works. As far as I know, "skate-leading" isn't a real thing.

Still, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad. I feel like it's definitely aiming for a younger audience than YoI did (or at least the audience that likes male idols...). I'm not a Black Butler fan, but Yana Toboso does know how to draw attractive characters, so I'm sure that'll draw in those who like her designs. I don't think I'll be watching this since its aesthetic isn't my thing, but I am interested to see how it'll fare with the people behind it and how it'll hold up in comparison to YoI.
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Why must ice skating be equated to LGBT themes? i hope this centers a bit more around the sport aspects than sentimental drama.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Yuri on Ice was good because it was original, one-of-a-kind. It left such a deep impression that, I'm sorry but, any skating-related show that comes after will be in Yuri On Ice's shadow. It's like every boy idol show that has come since Uta no Prince Sama, every mecha show that has come after Gundam, every Basketball show that has come since Slam Dunk. It's the fate of anything successful to spawn similar things.

There is some truth to this statement, because those comparisons are often inevitable, although the implied suggestion that any genre or sub-genre should be dominated by their own foundational works sounds rather depressing to me.

Quote:
Black Butler and Maria the Virgin Witch was also good because it was original concepts - it hadn't been done before. So to me, it feels a bit like a bit of a waste for this great team to do something on ice skating, something that may turn out mediocre in the end. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

More or less...even an original concept isn't always successful or acknowledged by the public. Say, Maria the Virgin Witch was one of my personal favorite shows back in the year 2015, but it seems most of the Japanese audience didn't find it to be interesting. It's entirely possible that more people supported the series outside of Japan. Either way, there isn't a significant number of ice skating anime. It's not an exhausted topic. The real question is...what will be different about this new series and whether enough viewers are interested.

Quote:
Plus, looking at the date, then anyone who knows anything about anime production would know that pre-production could take anything up to two years and more to when a show starts airing. Which means that planning for this probably started after, and as a direct result of, Yuri on Ice's success. Trying to ride on Yuri On Ice's success is a thing in on itself...

Undoubtedly, but I don't see that as a curse. For example, history has already proven that many mecha anime series were obviously influenced by the impact of Gundam, but they still developed a separate identity with their own highs and lows. In this case, I hope that at least some members of the audience are willing to keep an open mind, even if the results don't reach the same level of a masterpiece.

Quote:

Lastly, honestly, Goro Taniguchi's record isn't all that great - His recent works include the average likes Active Raid, ID-0 and Revisions. As for J.C. Staff, I've only noticed them making many shows per season, which inevitably lead to divided attention to animation quality.

I find this to be open to debate, particularly because directors don't produce anime by themselves or in a vacuum. Collaborators and animation studios are always a factor. Taniguchi has also recently directed a new Code Geass film and I'd argue it was quite solid in terms of cinematography and storyboarding, which is his main area of responsibility, regardless of any discussions we could have about the script.

Speaking of which, an indication of potential quality for Skate Leading Stars will be the writing staff.

Comparatively speaking, the other shows you have mentioned were quite niche in subject matter and seemed to have various restrictions in terms of staff or resources. For the record, I really liked ID-0 (haters gonna hate), but that series had an overly specialized appeal. Furthermore, Production IMS (Active Raid) was never a high profile studio and this was reflected in the cheap animation quality. Unsurprisingly, they went bankrupt two years later. Which, one way or another, probably isn't going to happen with J.C. Staff.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:

I don't know, buddy... Kuroko no Basket -for example- was fairly popular at the time, and did not fall under Slam Dunk's shadow in any way. In fact, I think it reached very different demographics. There's a broad range of ways in which a series can succeed on its own, even if its premise is similar to any other successful anime. It's like saying Evangelion or Gurren Lagann have nothing on Gundam.

This will definitely get compared to YOI, but I do hope people don't expect the exact same experience.

Plus, Kamiya Hiroshi as part of the main cast is already 10/10 I'm sold Very Happy
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I love Code Geass and Kuroshitsuji so I'm in!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1