• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Babylon Has a Whore Complex

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Someone in the preview thread pointed out that the guy was behind Kado so I decided to skip it even though I like the idea of a political/crime thriller. But yeah, when the person previous work started out as "guy tries to help small company get governmental funding" and end with "Magical girl from the future fight alien", you know things aren't going to make much sense.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll give you the whole "the show itself is misogynist" thing, but take back what you said about smash cuts to black being dumb.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Looking over the early charts when this series started, I almost ended up watching this. Talk about dodging a bullet! Being written by the guy who wrote Kado should be all anyone needs to know, I've never seen an interesting premise and solid initial few episodes squandered so completely. I'm still mad about Kado. I remember as the series was in the middle of disintegrating I saw a post that the writer was known for this; writing series that started promising before leaving the audience with nothing but a smoldering pile of rage and disappointment over wasting hours of their life on his garbage. And sure enough, here he is, at it again. I have no idea how he keeps finding work.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
So much hate for kado. That ending was by all definitions great for sci fi standards.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
Looking over the early charts when this series started, I almost ended up watching this. Talk about dodging a bullet! Being written by the guy who wrote Kado should be all anyone needs to know, I've never seen an interesting premise and solid initial few episodes squandered so completely. I'm still mad about Kado. I remember as the series was in the middle of disintegrating I saw a post that the writer was known for this; writing series that started promising before leaving the audience with nothing but a smoldering pile of rage and disappointment over wasting hours of their life on his garbage. And sure enough, here he is, at it again. I have no idea how he keeps finding work.

Because his novel sales and got some awards? This is the industry where you find the bottomest of the barrel stories written by complete amateur who only barely able to write got anime adaptation, his works looks like masterpiece compared to those.

Babylon is his most popular work.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
So much hate for kado. That ending was by all definitions great for sci fi standards.

That’s some low standards then, heheh. Laughing

Huh I’m now tempted to see this show just to find out how ridiculous it is.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

No people just dont know how to appreciate a twist in a story. (Allow me to introduce you to M night Shyamalon)
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
reading this, part of me wants to watch the show
maybe it's a small mercy i dont have amazon prime so I can't watch it anyway
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
sorry guys but I love Babylon - it's a pretty exciting show to watch can't wait for the finale Anime smile
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ok I have heard of the term whore complex before the site started using it a ton all the sudden. I have not seen this show so please explain it to me.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ok I have heard of the term whore complex before the site started using it a ton all the sudden. I have not seen this show so please explain it to me.

This is the best short-description of "the Whore of Babylon" I could find:

https://www.enterthebible.org/Controls/feature/tool_etb_resource_display/resourcebox.aspx?selected_rid=218&original_id=66 .

It's more a metaphor for society's destructive tendencies than anything the anime's writer might be using it for.

As to Legalized Suicide: Anyone from the state of Oregon here?
Vent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Even if this show wasn't thoroughly misogynistic it's still an anime based around politics and philosophy that has an understanding of those concepts that I can only describe as "completely clownshoes".

I feel bad for everyone who was tricked by the first three episodes being pretty goodish and then stumbled face first into this crap.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I have always been highly suspicious of Christianity in Japan. It's like a virus for which they have no antibodies.

Also, "There is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare, Hamlet
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

No people just dont know how to appreciate a twist in a story. (Allow me to introduce you to M night Shyamalon)

Huh well thank God for that then.
kameoosama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Reading this made me wish for an anime that's a big swipe at people being forced to take really dumb political arguments seriously because of "both sides" bias culminating in the most dadaist rendering of internet discourse, but this ain't it. Maybe we'll get a Gachaman Crowds season 3 for this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5