• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Next Film Is 15% Complete After 3.5 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOGI48

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
1 minute per mouth? So 12 minutes of the movie is a whole year. By the time it is finish it will be the last TRUE 2D animated film.
lucio542

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Don't saying that will happen ( and i really don't want) but he knows that he have already almost 80?....If It take so much he can really die in half of the way.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
we need to protect this man at ALL COSTS
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
That was some . . . . . . progress Miyazaki did right there.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki adopting Oda pacing here.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
Don't saying that will happen ( and i really don't want) but he knows that he have already almost 80?....If It take so much he can really die in half of the way.

He is 78. Assuming the pace stays like this and doesn't pick up, he'll be ~98 by the time this is finished...
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
Like, I hope they make a full set of "rough" storyboards, and then get Miyazaki's approval in some form. "Rough" meaning detailed enough to use and vague enough that he won't instantly start changing them. As a form of insurance.

If anyone thinks that, eventually, there will be enough effort invested in this to make it worth finishing, I would even be tempted to make two versions, one to show him and another that could be used to finish the thing. You do what you gotta do.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
This man is absolutely dedicated to his art......... which may not be an entirely good thing.

I’m reminded of Osamu Tezuka.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki showing why he couldn't make affordable TV Animation and sticking to his ways. If the industry followed his lead....there'd be no industry.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
I confess that in spite of loving most of Miyazaki's works, and owning all of them in multiple formats going all the way back to the days of LaserDisc, the older he gets, the more exasperating he becomes. And this has nothing to do with his work schedule.

"Suzuki added that Miyazaki is a person who is not interested in money."

The classic lament of someone who has money, but doesn't seem to have ever learned that making money is what enables a studio to pander to his increasingly careless attitude and disregard of any sort of schedule. Ghibli must produce products consumers want---regularly---in order to maintain a positive revenue flow. He's infamous for holding the ship at the dock, instead of sailing with a full, money-making cargo. Because he is not interested in money. Too, bad, Miyazaki san, but the rest of the company is. It's not your personal box of crayons to use when you feel like it.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
as an artist myself I think he is enjoying drawing this and not worried about finishing his movie.. artists are like that, you get bored once you are finished and those empty days of thinking about your next work are the worst.

Miyazaki perhaps accepted the fact that this movie could be the finale.. so he gonna spend all his remaining life on it.
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
I know he is old but one minute per month? whats the freaking point of watching a movie that will be out in 2030 and was announced 3 years ago? :/
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Love his movies but his attitude has always been awful. He is only holding the studio back at this point. He needs to retire so the rest of the studio staff members decide what to do with the studio company.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
Miyazaki is not holding Studio Ghibli back. Did most people here forget that the studio neither had a director nor a running project at all after Yonebayashi left the Studio back in 2015?? Most of the animators had to leave because there was nothing to animate at all. Miyazaki was already retired and only came back to work at the Studio to experiment with CGI for the animated short Kemushi no Boro, and now more animators have been hired again by the studio to work on Miyazaki's newest project. To think that if Miyazaki wasn't involved with Studio Ghibli anymore there would be room for other, younger directors, is quite naive thinking. The Studio attempted several times to raise and train animators which could succeed both Miyazaki and Takahata as directors all the way back to 1994 with Umi ga kikoeru, and it never really managed to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Some are taking this in a very alarmist way...

There is no money being lost here because Miyazaki is taking it slow. Any efficient studio has multiple projects running so there is no downtime.

Also the 15% doesn't mean much. Projects tend to begin slowly and then speed up significantly. Example: A first year could only see 10% 'done', then year 2 is 25%, then year 3 gets to 65%, and 100% by the end of year 4. Pre production takes time, and a solid foundation makes everything more efficient.

Miyazaki is old. Likely storyboarding everything himself. And is likely involved in a bunch of other things that divide his time elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2