• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Is 1st Manga to Take Japan's Entire Weekly Top 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
Surprised One Piece didn't set this record first
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Surprised One Piece didn't set this record first
OP had stiffer competition.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
This is more proof of the timing theory for kimetsu no yaiba.

That the biggest reason it managed to outsell all other manga is that the anime came out pretty late and there were a lot of volumes out (compared to other shounen adaptations) so instead of the anime just pushing the sales of the latest volumes, people are buying the whole manga series.

I think death note had similar timing (except that the big three were alive back then) so your point about competition also applies there.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Kimetsu no Yaiba certainly is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not that good. But as already said it had good timing. Who knows, maybe if Dr. Stone anime came before Kimetsu no Yaiba it could have been the one dominating the charts (ignoring that it's a few tanks behind Kimetsu).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kimetsu no Yaiba over the last year or two is like watching a rocket in progress. There was a time lapse video which showed the numbers of the most popular series over the decade(One Piece etc) and while some slowly overtook others while you watched, just before the end there was this one show that simply swooshed right past them all. Pretty funny...

Kimetsu no Yaiba started in 2016, but seems it started this rise only in the last year and a half or so...
Tibbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
Kimetsu no Yaiba certainly is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not that good. But as already said it had good timing. Who knows, maybe if Dr. Stone anime came before Kimetsu no Yaiba it could have been the one dominating the charts (ignoring that it's a few tanks behind Kimetsu).

Sorry. Dr. Stone ain't got sh*t on Kimetsu no Yaiba, and with the movie coming out R.I.P.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
This is more proof of the timing theory for kimetsu no yaiba.

That the biggest reason it managed to outsell all other manga is that the anime came out pretty late and there were a lot of volumes out (compared to other shounen adaptations) so instead of the anime just pushing the sales of the latest volumes, people are buying the whole manga series.

The timing did help a little since the anime adaptation was about 3 years after the manga vs 2.5 years for Black Clover. I think it was a combination of factors that caused Demon Slayer to have this impressive increase in manga sales. Demon Slayer is a great manga, had a great anime adaptation, has a horror theme that is not usually seen in a WSJ series, had good timing for manga sales, and had more interest due to the current story arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1