• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Saturday Morning Astro Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This played early on Sunday mornings in about 1965 - 66 in my hometown. I got to see a fair number of episodes ( It was broadcast early enough that my 7 year old self wasn't always awake. ) and I recall it being hard to follow. But, it was definitely different and fun most of the time.

Mark Gosdin
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the first "16 years" anime, I did not manage to watch the bw version though I watched (in tv ) the colour one; was that one a full remake or just recolored ?

Quote:
Astro Boy is a good boy, anthropomorphic animal ladies are hot.

I chuckled quite a bit at this, considering that tezuka's stash was leaked and it's contents.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Animated science fiction at the dawn of the Space Age warped me for life, and gave me a life long interest in animation. Thanks, Tezuka-sensei, and thanks, Mr Ladd.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I did not manage to watch the bw version though I watched (in tv ) the colour one; was that one a full remake or just recolored ?

The 1980 anime was a full remake.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, considering the script (adaptive script and ADR direction?) is very prominently credited to an entirely different guy, I'd say it's fair to assume there was a fair bit fudged in translation.

If you're interested, Fred Ladd got around to writing up many of his experiences - Astro Boy and Anime Come to the Americas: An Insider's View of a Pop Culture Phenomenon

Last edited by CorneredAngel on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Pizza Cats, anyone? For "liberal" translations (read: pulled out of their ass.)

1963. I was there. Watching on the living room rug and reading Daleks in Gerry Anderson's TV Century 21 magazine.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
I did not manage to watch the bw version though I watched (in tv ) the colour one; was that one a full remake or just recolored ?

The 1980 anime was a full remake.

There was also a 2003 remake (made to celebrate the year in which the original manga took place) which did a fantastic job of modernizing the writing and animation (its visuals hold up better today than most shows from its time) while still keeping the spirit of the original manga intact. There was an English dub but sadly it was heavily edited. I'm not sure if an official uncut sub was ever released.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Somebody release the 1980s version
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a fully translated 1980's Japanese version. It was still a kids show but alot more full on about the tough subjects of humanity subverting and exploiting sentient beings.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
NBC Enterprises (not to be confused with the NBC network) was the American licensor back in the day. It was a distributor for syndication, and actually had a direct say in the actual production--since the American firm was funding the show to the tune of $10,000 (or 300,000 yen) per episode.

But American money came at a price: script demands and restrictions, the biggest being no adult themes, nudity, or ongoing story lines. Tezuka wasn't made aware until after twelve episodes had already been delivered--and six were rejected. Three were able to be recut, but the rest could not be salvaged and never aired in America.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
from the article wrote:
Someone somewhere has this cel framed and it is their pride and joy..

Probably not. You're looking at a roughly 60 year old acetate cel. Acetate does not have a long shelf life and is prone to a thing called Vinegar Syndrome (as part of the chemical process, the cel breaks down and begins to warp), even under the best conditions...and believe me, Japanese cel collectors are notorious for poor storage conditions. I've been to cel stores in Japan where the owners smoked around the artwork. They're routinely stored in random plastic bags instead of some solid poly bags, and if you know anything about cels, poly bags need to be checked and often replaced every year or so to ensure that the paint is not reacting to the plastic. Often the backgrounds or matching cel douga are stored with the cel and without a dividing bag or layer in between, which means that the background often bleeds into the paint and/or is plastered to the back of the cel. Over the years, I've seen a couple videos on YouTube where someone will go through their collection, and it's in some random storage closet in Japan, stuffed inside cardboard boxes. I doubt that the humidity and temperature levels are ever checked, and that accelerates the aging process.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for a uncut release of the 2003 series. Sad
al505

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ahh, the monochromatic anime of my youth! Astro Boy, Tobor the Eighth Man, Gigantor and Kimba to name a few although Kimba was in color, I believe. We only had black and white televisions because no one I knew could afford color TV's back in the day, least of all, mine.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Takes me back to see these shows, my intro to anime. And since we didn’t get color TV until around 1972, it was all B&W
bravesirz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
To my knowledge, the 1963, 1980, and 2003 series(s) have yet to receive a Japanese language release in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1