• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars DVD & BD Part 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Um is anyone else SUPER PISSED that none of the Stars exclusive characters are even on the box?

Screw you, Viz. It's amazing how much you screw up.

(still bought it though Rolling Eyes )
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Um is anyone else SUPER PISSED that none of the Stars exclusive characters are even on the box?

Not trying to defend Viz here, but if you look at the artwork that was released during the initial Sailorstars run, it's almost devoid of any of the Stars specific characters. While my memory is a bit foggy as it's been years since I've looked through my own sets, but other than the Starlights and Chibichibi, only Galaxia received her own trading card in the Amada PP 15 set. The Animates were only featured on the back of a couple cards in that same set, but even then it was just a generic stock pose from the settei sheets. The 3 Lights were featured on more cards and Chibichibi was given a few, but even then, that amount was pretty limited too. Unlike previous introductions of characters who were given multiple featured images in card sets upon initial release (Soo many Uranus/Neptune cards..), the characters introduced in the second arc of the series were an afterthought.

A good chunk of the artwork used for Viz's release were just recycled poses from various items during the initial run that were modified to look more current (CG). I can't really fault them for sticking with the main Sailor Team when Japan pretty much did the same.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Not trying to defend Viz here, but if you look at the artwork that was released during the initial Sailorstars run, it's almost devoid of any of the Stars specific characters. While my memory is a bit foggy as it's been years since I've looked through my own sets, but other than the Starlights and Chibichibi, only Galaxia received her own trading card in the Amada PP 15 set. The Animates were only featured on the back of a couple cards in that same set, but even then it was just a generic stock pose from the settei sheets. The 3 Lights were featured on more cards and Chibichibi was given a few, but even then, that amount was pretty limited too. Unlike previous introductions of characters who were given multiple featured images in card sets upon initial release (Soo many Uranus/Neptune cards..), the characters introduced in the second arc of the series were an afterthought.

A good chunk of the artwork used for Viz's release were just recycled poses from various items during the initial run that were modified to look more current (CG). I can't really fault them for sticking with the main Sailor Team when Japan pretty much did the same.

There's also the case that Viz may have submitted other designs, but TOEI only approved this art, or that there hasn't been much in the way of new art of Stars characters made (seeing as it's all newly rendered stuff, as Cutiebunny said). Highly likely there's just no good Stars art that would work on a cover.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Highly likely there's just no good Stars art that would work on a cover.

Oh I don't believe that for a second...when we have things like this...

https://www.zerochan.net/1868517 <-that would be my pick, actually; looks perfect for BD.
https://www.zerochan.net/1846621
https://www.zerochan.net/616062
https://www.zerochan.net/411935
https://www.zerochan.net/80288
https://www.zerochan.net/75653
https://www.zerochan.net/14442 <-I'd use that too...
https://www.zerochan.net/39674

Yeah, just use the bloody CD covers or something geeze...

Wow, there's a lot of SeiyaxUsagi on zerochan too...not that I'm surprised because that's better than Usagi's canon ship (heh fight me). Cool
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
There's also the case that Viz may have submitted other designs, but TOEI only approved this art, or that there hasn't been much in the way of new art of Stars characters made (seeing as it's all newly rendered stuff, as Cutiebunny said). Highly likely there's just no good Stars art that would work on a cover.

With the exception of the movies, all of the 90s artwork Viz and other companies used were given to them by Toei and was originally from 11 years ago when Italy got the show back. In one of the season 1 Blu-ray extras, they showed the style guides for each season which had nothing but Marco Albiero's redesigns.

Looking at the other international releases, it seems only France had the Starlights on the front of two of their DVD sets but they didn't use the full group image for everyone else (see this, this and the second link in Chiibi's latest post for comparison).
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

A lot of that art is very old and grainy. There probably wouldn't be any cleaner versions anywhere, and designers generally need layered files to get things to work within the template. I'd imagine most of these are too old to have layered versions, and would require a lot of work to clean up.
Image two is the only one properly usable because it is a composite image using the clean character art.

And re "Yeah, just use the bloody CD covers or something geeze... ", the CD art won't work. It's not the right size. It'd need a massive border around it, and that's provided there's even clean art (i.e. logo etc free) available.

+ Like I said, Toei can be picky so who knows what Viz's original designs looked like prior to change requests.

NJ_ wrote:
With the exception of the movies, all of the 90s artwork Viz and other companies used were given to them by Toei and was originally from 11 years ago when Italy got the show back. In one of the season 1 Blu-ray extras, they showed the style guides for each season which had nothing but Marco Albiero's redesigns.

I wasn't aware that the clean renders were that old. In any case, they're about all that can be used except for extreme circumstances where there's basically no other art.

It's interesting that Kaze included the stars, but their designs also look super busy so I can't say it was exactly a good thing to include everyone either...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Looking at the other international releases, it seems only France had the Starlights on the front of two of their DVD sets but they didn't use the full group image for everyone else (see this, this and the second link in Chiibi's latest post for comparison).

Yeah, see if FRANCE can do nice cover boxes, why can't Viz, exactly? The box looks beautiful! I'd much rather have that...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Stars is a season I have a lot of mixed feelings about. I think it has a lot of potentially interesting ideas and I love the villains, especially Galaxia, and Siren and Lead Crow. While I still prefer Usagi x Mamoru, I do like Usagi's friendship with Seiya and Yaten is my favorite out of the Starlights and I love his whole sassiness. Taiki is probably my least favorite of the Starlights because most of the time it just feels like he's being contrarian to Usagi just for the sake of being contrarian and it creates a lot of the unnecessary drama in the season. But I feel like Sailor Stars is too short of a season and there isn't enough time to give everyone a fair amount of screen time. Like Princess Kakyuu doesn't show up towards the end and we barely get any time with her in spite of how much the season hypes up her character. I much prefer in the manga where she at least partakes in the battles some and I love her design as Sailor Kakyuu. I also prefer the manga series finale over the anime's where I feel like the stakes are even higher and the character deaths feel even more dramatic to me. And I also love the manga ending shows the spoiler[wedding of Usagi and Mamoru and everyone in the future and I love the manga's inclusion of the Sailor Quartet and how Chibi Moon plays more of an actual role in the story.] That said I do still enjoy the anime finale which still makes me cry a lot especially in spoiler[Rei's death scene and Haruka and Michiru's death scene] and I love the use of Sailor Stars Song as the big final battle insert song.

It's hard to believe after all these years of only having seen the ye olde fansubs that I finally own Sailor Stars and the entire 90s anime and with an uncut English dub for Sailor Stars no less. I thought the dub did a really good job and I enjoyed the Sailor Starilghts' performances and the VAs for the villains were great too. I especially liked Sailor Iron Mouse's VA in the first half and Tin Nyanko had a great VA too. Galaxia I'm more mixed on as I felt like her voice sounded too soft a lot of the time though I feel like she improved in the finale. I was pleasantly surprised they dubbed not only the Three Lights' songs but they also included the dub of Todokanu Omoi during one of the big fight scenes near the end. All together I was really satisfied with the Sailor Stars dub and I'm really glad to finally own all of my favorite anime.

Quote:
Yeah, just use the bloody CD covers or something geeze...
The artwork is Marco Albeiro's redrawing of an official art from the manga redrawn in the 90s anime style. As mentioned by others in the thread, all the cover art on the 90s Sailor Moon BDs and DVDs are Marco's redrawings of already existing official artwork. As far as issues I have with the Viz release, the cover art not having Sailor Stars characters is pretty low on the priorities list, and the Starlights and Chibi Chibi were already on the part 1 set. The only cover art I had a major issue with from Viz was the R movie cover art but by now I've just accepted it but I don't really look at the cover art much when I'm going to watch the show. I'm just glad to be finally done collecting the show and I can move onto other things now after collecting this show for five years now.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
@Cardcaptor Takato

I think UsagixMamo is done far better in the manga...whereas UsagixSeiya is done far better in the anime version. (and yeah Taiki's boring lol)

Ikuhara hated Mamoru's character...which is why the guy is practically a background man from S and onwards.

Which is TOTALLY unfair....and part of why I don't like Ikuhara as even a person, let alone an anime director/writer.

I first watched the VKLL fansub VHS tapes of Stars with other gal pals way back in eighth and ninth grade. The finale was always amazing and we marathoned those last ten episodes a lot during sleepovers. And cried our eyes out every time. xD So nostalgic.

Volume 17 (the one where Chibi Chibi appears) was probably my second (if not my first) raw manga volume I'd ever bought. It's still sitting on my shelf.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Ikuhara hated Mamoru's character...which is why the guy is practically a background man from S and onwards.

Which is TOTALLY unfair....and part of why I don't like Ikuhara as even a person, let alone an anime director/writer.

I feel like Moonies have exaggerated Ikuhara's supposed hatred of Mamoru based on a single sarcastic joke he made in an interview where he was asked why he makes so many yuri centric shows. The first season where Mamoru's relationship with Usagi was the rockiest was directed by Junichi Sato. On the reverse side, Ikuhara directed the R movie which has Mamoru's most sympathetic portrayal of the 90s anime and is generally well regarded by most fans. And in spite of Ikuhara's supposed hatred of Mamoru, you can see him wear a green blazer just like Mamoru's in old video interviews.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The only cover art I had a major issue with from Viz was the R movie cover art.....

Same and the worst thing is we never found out who worked on that one since it's completely new and was never used anywhere else while Italy, France, Poland & even Australia used the R movie poster.

Makes me glad Viz used the posters for S & SuperS (for the case art under the Marco-designed slipcovers) but it still stings, especially with R being the best movie of the three.

Quote:
I'm just glad to be finally done collecting the show and I can move onto other things now after collecting this show for five years now.

Until those Eternal films come out... Razz
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
@Chiibi As already mentioned above, this "urban legend" arose because of his joke in the 90s, when he joked about that he wanted to turn the show into Usagi x Rei. In general, if we talk about hatred for Mamoru, then this is more west fandom's thing than any of the authors. For example, when the Eternal announcement came out, people literally celebrated that he was not in the video.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Actually, this is what was said in an interview with Ikuhara:

Q: Ikuhara-san, Utena and Sailor Moon are two of the most popular anime amongst yuri fans. Do you intentionally include shoujo-ai subtexts in your work?

Ikuhara: No. I'm still able to make a story where it's between a boy and a girl. But I feel irritated to see my girl getting together with some other guy. I've tried to kill off Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon many times. But no matter how many times I tried to kill him, he gets resurrected so I only get angrier. So I decided it would be way better if the girl just didn't have a boyfriend to begin with. Of course I'm just kidding. In reality, if I have a guy in the show, the love relationship gets to have a bigger role than the show. And that would be an interesting element, but I wouldn't want that to make that the scene-stealer of the show. Most other shoujo shows are in that direction. It's about who-and-who are getting together, or who-and-who are breaking up. I thought it would be a loss if that would be the big motif just because a girl was the main character. I think there could be more shows with other motives than that.''

I kinda get what Ikuhara was saying now that I look at it, while he wanted to keep Usagi/Mamoru's relationship he didn't want that to take up too much of the entire show or have it turn into a stereotypical shoujo show. Frankly felt that even if Mamoru didn't stand out too much during the last three seasons, in S and SuperS you could see little things that showed him caring for Usagi.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, he says he's just kidding but I don't think he is. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
he wanted to keep Usagi/Mamoru's relationship he didn't want that to take up too much of the entire show or have it turn into a stereotypical shoujo show.

That's easy to do; just have ONE episode with he and Usagi interacting the same way he had SEIYA and Usagi interact...that's why that ship has a lot of fans; they were actually shown having fun together and being compatible. The scene where Seiya takes Usagi on a date was enough to make me ship it....and that wasn't even a whole 23 minutes!

A rocky relationship is better than 'barely any interaction' at all, imho. Or worse, 'borderline abusive interaction'. Usagi slaps Mamoru for not knowing her birthday in S? GTFOtta here...that was so out of character and horrible it's not even funny...

It is a little odd that Sailor Stars never got a feature film like the other seasons...but honestly, I don't think that finale can be outdone...so I'm okay with it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
OK, I forgot about that episode, sheesh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2