• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Things Get Awkward in the Idol Romcom Oshibudo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
If Kumasa is the one with the healthiest outlook, it's because Rena doesn't even have one.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maina may actually be my favorite character in the whole show, but that comes with the big asterisk that I’m willing to go with the conceit of an idol falling in love with her biggest fan, which not everyone’s gonna be cool with. And with good reason! On paper it’s basically the fantasy of the exact kind of possessive fan Motoi is meant to represent and has led to actual real-life idols being gruesomely assaulted.

Am I missing something or have people not heard of groupies or fan/celebrity relationships you can't possibly think fans wanting to sleep with celebrities is just something creepy Japanese otaku do. Right? Or are we just supposed to pretend that Japan is some alternate universe were the same rules don't apply. What I find most baffling is the implication that a fan celebrity relationship is a threat to the celebrity. What? Ever heard of Jimmy Page? I know people are disgusted by AKB48 fans. But those are grown men sexualizing teenage girls. Are we going act like two people of the same age attempting to date each other is morally the same thing?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
@MetalEmolga7

Actually glad you brought that up. Because it is true. Groupies, one night stands, and other types of relationships between fans and celebrities is a thing. A very big thing. This is definitely not just a Japanese thing.

I still remember watching some news years ago, where young teenager girls where going absolutely crazy over some male music celebrity. It is the same for male fans too. There is plenty of legal and illegal physical mixing there.

Our good United States definitely does not practice what we preach.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:

Am I missing something or have people not heard of groupies or fan/celebrity relationships you can't possibly think fans wanting to sleep with celebrities is just something creepy Japanese otaku do. Right? Or are we just supposed to pretend that Japan is some alternate universe were the same rules don't apply. What I find most baffling is the implication that a fan celebrity relationship is a threat to the celebrity. What? Ever heard of Jimmy Page? I know people are disgusted by AKB48 fans. But those are grown men sexualizing teenage girls. Are we going act like two people of the same age attempting to date each other is morally the same thing?

...What? We never said or implied any of this is exclusive to Japan or "otaku" in the article. We discuss the issue as it pertains to idols and idol fandom because, y'know, that's what the show is about. And within that topic there is absolutely an element of fandom where the "celerbity" (as much as many idol groups can claim celebrity, anyway) is in danger - idols have been attacked at handshake events, have been harassed or even fired over rumors of them dating someone.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
...What? We never said or implied any of this is exclusive to Japan or "otaku" in the article. We discuss the issue as it pertains to idols and idol fandom because, y'know, that's what the show is about. And within that topic there is absolutely an element of fandom where the "celerbity" (as much as many idol groups can claim celebrity, anyway) is in danger - idols have been attacked at handshake events, have been harassed or even fired over rumors of them dating someone.

My point is that your treating a very common phenomenon, celebrities developing a para-social relation ship with their fans, as if it's a unique feature of idols and idol fandom. And while there are ways that idol culture takes this to an dangerous extreme. It's not a unique feature of idol culture and it's weird to assume that common features of celebrity culture like famous people dating their fans is some odd impossible scenario that never happens with idols. Even though there are numerous real world examples of this happening in spite of the messed up no "dating contracts" that exists.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Do they really date fan though? One night stand sure, but official dating seems extremely rare, unsurprisingly since being a fan is not exactly a great way to get to know someone and vice versa.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Agnetha Faltskog of ABBA fame, had a two year relationship with her stalker fan. After it broke up he became her stalker again, and eventually had to be deported from Sweden, and then permanently banned from from Sweden. He was a crazy stalker fan before the relationship, and after. So celebrities can have relationships with their fans, though this case is a little more out there as her fan, was also a stalker. One she knew was stalking her.

Celebrities and fans are human. Most people just want to be happy and feel loved. Whether a relationship is healthy or not really doesn't enter the picture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1