• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GeGeGe no Kitarō Episodes 87 - 97 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I love this family-friendly Show soooooo much, and its themes resonate so much with me especially today, consider how the entire world is getting more hateful and divided in a crunch time like this (as an Asian American, I don’t have to emphasize how traumatic to live in communities filled with unwarranted hatred and blatant racism)

It’s a chilling message, and I sincerely hope people who have watched the show can retain that quote as long as they can.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Putting the series in the context of Shigeru Mizuki's wartime experience is an excellent choice (he lost his dominant arm in the war). He also wrote the autobiographical Onward to our noble deaths about his wartime unit (of which he was the only survivor).

I often found it easy to neglect Gegege no Kitaro for long periods of time, but I always came back and found myself binge-watching to catch up again.

The final few episodes of this series were very strong in their themes and the way they called back to earlier episodes.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Such a great series. Loved every minute of it and miss it already.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote
I agree with the writer's love and appreciation for this underrated series. May we see another Kitaro soon! (probably by 2030, though)
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
What a thoughtful review, Rebecca. I'm pretty deep into this show, and you saw connections that I missed. Thanks. I'll miss Kitarou and friends, and I'll miss your reviews.

I'm also happy that you mentioned episode twenty. It was my personal choice for best single episode of 2018, and as time has gone by, it has earned my respect even more. Few anime are willing to criticize the Japanese government at all. I thought it especially brave for a family-oriented series to take on Japan's educational system as directly as Yoshino Hiroyuki did in his script for this episode. I've often wondered how many kids began asking their teachers about World War II the day after this episode aired.

In fact the portrayal of the Japanese government throughout the show is hardly laudatory. The Prime Minister is a power-hungry woman concerned more about retaining her office and maintaining her public image than protecting the people of Japan. In this, Toei seems to share the mindset of Anno Hideaki in his live-action film Shin Godzilla which reflects his view of the government's incompetence during the Fukushima disaster.

I was worried as this last set of episodes bounced back and forth between being humorous and serious creating what some of us called "whiplash." I feared they would not give enough time to resolve the Nurarihyon story. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. The staff at Toei showed they could manage their schedule.

I think Ogawa Kouji deserves kudos for his direction of this show. Before Kitarou, he had only one credit as a series director, on the World Trigger sequel. Then he was asked to helm a ninety-seven episode series, and the 50th Anniversary remake of a beloved work to boot.

I'd give a special shout-out to Sawashiro Miyuki for her always-convincing portrayal of Kitarou. He has a complex personality with lots of self-doubt that grows over the course of the season. Sawashiro carried it off with her usual flair. She even had a baby in the middle of this series, yet the episodes just kept rolling along.

Kudos also to Shouji Umeka as Neko-Musume and Banjou Ginga as Nanashi. I read one commentator who jokingly wondered if his voicing of Nanashi might have scared ingenue voice actresses in the booth with him. Mana is the kind of character that can become really annoying, but Fujii Yukiyo kept her from that fate.

One other thing I forgot to mention yesterday is that these final episodes have the best of the many ED songs used in Kitarou. (The OP is always the same. All the adaptations use the OP from the 1968 original.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGxQ4yPAYA0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1