• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Reveals Most-Watched Series for January to March 2020

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
From the list at the bottom, "Columbia" is not a country. You either meant Colombia or Crunchyroll decided to list a city in South Carolina in its per-country statistics
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
From the list at the bottom, "Columbia" is not a country. You either meant Colombia or Crunchyroll decided to list a city in South Carolina in its per-country statistics

Actually there's also Columbia Island, New York. Don't forget Columbia University. Technically the Capital is the District of Columbia. Then there's Columbia Country in British Columbia. Also there's a city or town named Columbia in multiple states: Arizona, Alabama, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. And that doesn't include the numerous Columbia Counties across the US.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
As a follow-up though, I think the list doesn't include the US for anything. That includes countries viewing anime the most.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Since the U.S. is not on the list, it seems other countries have us beat when it comes to streaming anime.
Uchay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I know it probably doesn't mean a lot, but I'm really happy at seeing Iruma-kun ranking in there. I didn't expect to have nearly as much fun as I had watching it every week, but here we are.

Eagerly expecting the 2nd season.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Since the U.S. is not on the list, it seems other countries have us beat when it comes to streaming anime.

I guess it's because Crunchyroll in particular has a bigger userbase of people outside the U.S.

A lot of streaming services are U.S. only or at least more restrictive/harder to access for people outside that bubble for multiple reasons (price, copyright, form of payment, language barriers), while Crunchyroll is a lot easier to get into for non-US peeps. Besides that, it might be the only legal anime streaming service option in a few countries.

So a lot of people in countries where other anime streaming options don't exist will flock to it in bulk, while U.S. community is split between a lot of different services.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Damn Darling’s been over for whole now.

Though good for Radiant scoring pretty decently high views. Love the manga.
Márcio Voltz Jardim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover and Jojo Bizarre Adventure are the only ones on all lists ♥
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Radiant being on this list was a big surprise for me. I NEVER hear anyone talking about it, and the Anime Youtubers never bother acknowledging it's existence. Also, notice how this list includes very few shows that premiered during the winter. Just goes to show you how lifeless the winter anime lineup was.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Kinda baffled that they made top 10/20 lists and ordered them alphabetically. I guess it mitigates fan arguments, but also kinda defeats the purpose of a popularity ranking. And this is giving me deja vu, maybe they also did this last season...

Funniest thing on here is that Ace of the Diamond only appears on the top ten for France, which... lemme check... does actually have a pro baseball league, though with only 8 teams (Germany has 16, but they prefer Naruto, it seems). And Brazil and Mexico's lists are identical.

JonDoe wrote:
Also, notice how this list includes very few shows that premiered during the winter. Just goes to show you how lifeless the winter anime lineup was.

More than half of the top 20 are long-running shonens, so there's not many slots for new shows to begin with.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Kinda baffled that they made top 10/20 lists and ordered them alphabetically. I guess it mitigates fan arguments, but also kinda defeats the purpose of a popularity ranking. And this is giving me deja vu, maybe they also did this last season...

They did. I remember finding it somewhat redundant when they did it last time.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
As a follow-up though, I think the list doesn't include the US for anything. That includes countries viewing anime It'the most.
Keep in mind it's per user, so while the US probably has more total views, it just means there are likely more casual fans here. Given the countries topping the list, I imagine they did better because they have a small base of hardcore enthusiasts contributing without many casuals to lower the average compared to the US
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Surprised to see Iruma but happy nonetheless.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

The problem is that you're thinking of it as a ranking when it isn't intended to be. It's just the shows with the most views. They didn't leave ranks off to prevent fan arguments, but to both make lower ranked shows look as appealing as high rank shows and because naturally people tend to ignore lower ranked shows even if it's ranked 10 out of 500.

Aaronrules380 wrote:
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
As a follow-up though, I think the list doesn't include the US for anything. That includes countries viewing anime It'the most.
Keep in mind it's per user, so while the US probably has more total views, it just means there are likely more casual fans here. Given the countries topping the list, I imagine they did better because they have a small base of hardcore enthusiasts contributing without many casuals to lower the average compared to the US

The US also probably has FAR more legal streaming options than most of these other countries spreading our views across the internet.

And yeah, I was surprised to see Ace of the Diamond on the French list. Even if they do have their own teams it seems very niche for them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
A little disappointing it seems like nobody watched Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Off topic a bit, noticed Crunchyroll is now showing images and videos of One Piece and other Toei animes with Toei logo, and it bothers me. Last year and a few years ago, CR used to show images and videos of OP and other Toei animes without Toei logo but now they keep adding Toei logo on images and videos of OP and other Toei animes. Is everyone know why CR do that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3