• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release New English-dubbed Episodes for 4 Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
All the ones I don't care about! Bummer!
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess the dub at home experiment worked.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
All the ones I don't care about! Bummer!

Yeah, so what?
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
NO ONE PIECE 575 WTF
chappellefan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
I can understand them dubbing MHA and Black Clover because those are their big properties airing on Toonami, but why Nekopara and Asteroid in Love?

Are those in High Demand or are they simply the easiest to finish dubbing?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
So glad to see Funi dubs getting back little by little (even if I'm not actually watching any of the series). This is the closest thing to some good news I've seen in quite a long while aound here (or, well, anywhere else, really Confused
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
chappellefan wrote:
I can understand them dubbing MHA and Black Clover because those are their big properties airing on Toonami, but why Nekopara and Asteroid in Love?

Might have been the scheduling before things got shut down.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Still no dub for Azur Lane's last two episodes.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It just sucks that Black CLover is returning with a freaking filler episode
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
chappellefan wrote:

It might have something to do with the VAs involved and what sort of setup they have at home. But it's more likely that they just aren't able to get the raw video releases to work with yet.

They could have done this earlier. It's not that hard to setup a home recording studio. Even a cheap mic will do a decent basic job provided the VA knows how to use it right. I've heard of VAs literally phoning it in.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
chappellefan wrote:

It might have something to do with the VAs involved and what sort of setup they have at home. But it's more likely that they just aren't able to get the raw video releases to work with yet.

They could have done this earlier. It's not that hard to setup a home recording studio. Even a cheap mic will do a decent basic job provided the VA knows how to use it right. I've heard of VAs literally phoning it in.

Seeing as how this type of situation has never happened before, Im pretty sure a lot of VAs never had the need to buy their own mics to record things. This is an adjustment for everyone.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Seeing as how this type of situation has never happened before, Im pretty sure a lot of VAs never had the need to buy their own mics to record things. This is an adjustment for everyone.

Not to mention, just having any old microphone probably isn't amenable to decent/consistent sound quality. That plus the added logistical complications of the ADR director having to direct each actor via teleconference, having to send each recording session (including multiple takes etc) rather than having them together on-site, and what's likely a huge PITA of assembling it all together in a work-from environment/work station. That episodes of any show are being completed under those circumstances is a minor miracle.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Crunchyroll will be able to finish up any of their simulcast dubs like Somali and Science Fell In Love or if that would be harder to do since they contract other studios and Funimation has their own in house actors?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Bang Zoom has been able to complete two dubbed eps of Magia Record, so having to contract out probably isn't too much of a handicap
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
chappellefan wrote:

I would guess there were a lot of factors that went into which ones they worked on. MHA and Black Clover are both on Toonami, so there is some additional incentive to focus on those. Asteroid in Love was a surprise considering it started relatively late in the first place. Black Clover was a lot less exciting when it ended up being part two of a recap, though I suppose that might have helped since they could reuse any lines that still fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2