• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Detective Conan: Episode One, Love Hina Again, S-CRY-ed Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Scryed was one of the titles Sentai picked up from the ashes of Bandai Entertainment, and they never released it. It's obviously quite apparent at this point none of those titles will probably come from them (aside from The Big O, which they did use).

I wonder if they just didn't see it as worth it and let the license lapse, or if there was some other factor. Since Scryed was on Adult Swim, I would've figured that'd be a higher priority...

In any case, it's good to see it back.

Last edited by Kicksville on Sun May 03, 2020 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
That Detective Conan/Case Closed special with the new English dub sounds interesting enough to pick up. I'd like to support the more accurate effort, plus I have a soft spot for Detective Conan, despite not owning any of it so far.

They promised there would be more Lupin coming, including dubs, so that's good news. I'm still waiting for Part V on Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
While a new Case Closed dub kinda gives me pause, I have been hoping for a Memories blu-ray for ages! And it sounds like a stacked release just based off the announcement slide.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So glad to see another stab being taken at the perennial Detective Conan/Case Closed franchise. Given the success Discotek has had with Lupin and getting more dubbed, hopefully the same can happen to Case Closed if more people show up to the party this time Smile
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean they're gonna release Love Hina, or is Funi still holding on to that one?
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan/Case Closed is back in America! First time in 10 years!!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
Does this mean they're gonna release Love Hina, or is Funi still holding on to that one?

For now, they’ve only announced plans to release the OVAs. They said nothing about the TV series, although it does appear that Funimation’s license has lapsed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Scryed was one of the titles Sentai picked up from the ashes of Bandai Entertainment, and they never released it. It's obviously quite apparent at this point none of those titles will probably come from them (aside from The Big O, which they did use).

I wonder if they just didn't see it as worth it and let the license lapse, or if there was some other factor. Since Scryed was on Adult Swim, I would've figured that'd be a higher priority...

In any case, it's good to see it back.

Yeah, there has to be some sort of story behind that. FUNi has long since put out all of the former Bandai titles that it scooped up around that same time. To be fair, FUNi's list was the cream of Bandai's crop, while other than Big O most of Sentai's list were also-ran sorts of series. Maybe they just decided that none of them would be profitable. Still I have a massive soft spot for s-CRY-ed, so it's really great to see it finally returning.

Heh, and Memories marks yet another title that I imported a year or two ago and winds up getting a domestic release. You're welcome, everyone! Laughing
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Dancouga was also included in the "Coming Soon to Blu-Ray" trailer shown at the start of the panel, so expect a BD boxset for that series to be in the works. Hopefully, that'll then finally lead into a boxset for the OVA sequels, because at this point CPM has still technically released more Dancouga than Discotek, which is definitely something.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally. Dancougar on Bluray; I didn't pick it up on DVD precisely because older shows like it didn't have great animation (Dancougar especially outside of the God Bless OVA and certain scenes) but from what I understand of the JP Bluray, the film grain was actually nicely preserved. Wonder if Diskotek'll grab the OVAs at some point given iirc Blazing Epilogue never's gotten a release, quality aside.

Re: Scry-ed

I wonder what this means for a lot of Sentai's Bandai rescues. Will we see more things being dropped and picked up by other companies? The only thing, correct me if I'm wrong, they managed to release was The Big O. Zegapain (this one especially hurts IMO considering how good the show is and how decent the JP transfer to Bluray was), King Gainer, Betterman, Sora Kake and Rvius all got rescued but never released.

Last edited by GNPixie on Sun May 03, 2020 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, more Urusei Yatsura, and Memories on Blu-ray.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kicksville wrote:

Yeah, there has to be some sort of story behind that. FUNi has long since put out all of the former Bandai titles that it scooped up around that same time. To be fair, FUNi's list was the cream of Bandai's crop, while other than Big O most of Sentai's list were also-ran sorts of series. Maybe they just decided that none of them would be profitable.

I would be shocked if they intentionally left all the rest of them unreleased. No offense to Sentai, but they've released some far more bottom-of-the-barrel shows than these Bandai pick-ups.

I recall some rumblings from Sentai panels of the past few years suggesting there was some "legal baseball" going on behind the scenes, presumably on Sunrise's end. They were saying as recently as last summer that they still hoped to release these shows at some point. If Sunrise was actually being difficult, it's possible that Sentai finally just threw their hands in the air and gave up.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

-snip-

From what I recall from around the time these licenses were originally picked up (I think it might've been '15-ish actually,) there was issues with regards to the materials not being sent over and the like. Not sure if it was a quote from Funimation or Sentai though. Most of Funimation's rescues have been re-released. Sentai seems to have been the one with the most issues given that the only thing that I recall them releasing from their rescues was Big O iirc.

Sacred Seven never even got a physical release which is amusing considering it was around the time that Bandai/Sunrise started putting English subs on their BDs as well.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Kicksville wrote:

Yeah, there has to be some sort of story behind that. FUNi has long since put out all of the former Bandai titles that it scooped up around that same time. To be fair, FUNi's list was the cream of Bandai's crop, while other than Big O most of Sentai's list were also-ran sorts of series. Maybe they just decided that none of them would be profitable.

I would be shocked if they intentionally left all the rest of them unreleased. No offense to Sentai, but they've released some far more bottom-of-the-barrel shows than these Bandai pick-ups.

I recall some rumblings from Sentai panels of the past few years suggesting there was some "legal baseball" going on behind the scenes, presumably on Sunrise's end. They were saying as recently as last summer that they still hoped to release these shows at some point. If Sunrise was actually being difficult, it's possible that Sentai finally just threw their hands in the air and gave up.

We don't have a perfect picture, but there is some indication that Sunrise was dragging their feet like crazy on some of the properties. I'm wondering if maybe Funimation had the clout to get Sunrise to actually give them the materials, due to how big most of their licenses were expected to be (and even then, they still got a little screwed over. Crest and Banner of the Stars both got blu-ray releases announced in Japan really soon after the NA DVD rerelease) and the only property Sentai managed to release was the one that's partially co-owned by Cartoon Network. It kind of sticks out.

If I was making a deal to license anything from Sunrise after the whole debacle, I'd probably demand a time limit on getting the materials. Like "if you can't get us the materials within a year, we get a full refund on the license fee and the contract is dissolved". Because goddamn, the fact that Sunrise was dragging their feet so bad and refusing to dig up or send out the materials for so long is insane. It's a really obvious thing to point to as to why they aren't reliable business partners in this field.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited about Dragon of Doom being rereleased. It wasn't listed as an announcement during the panel, but if it has been announced somewhere earlier, I totally missed it. I've been hoping to see this on BD for a long time. The Funimation DVD I have looks like trash.

Other than that, I'll pick up Combattler V. Never heard of it before, but it looks okay. It's become a habit to buy almost every 70s or 80s show Discotek releases. I just wish the series were a little more varied. I'd love to see an old sports anime or something really girly like Lady Lady.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4