• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stars Align Anime Streams Memorial Epilogue Short Set 2 Years Later

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
Well... that was about what I expected spoiler[By which I mean it answers absolutely nothing ]

Really is a big disaster they didn't let this get a 2nd cour to properly finish.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
This keeps happening to this director, Escaflowne was supposed to be longer too but they made him cut it short. What decides how long an anime's cour is going to be? Was it the budget?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 am Reply with quote
Kinda sounds like spoiler[the point the director raised about soft tennis not being a sport that has a professional league built into it] ended up being a bigger factor than we realized. Sounds like basically spoiler[no one really managed to properly deal with their underlying issues, which is sad] and makes me want a proper continuation even more! >.<
chocorade

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Great, more suffering! /wheeze
The crybaby inside me wants to forget all about this and pretend it ended happily and this fan movie is gonna make that a little bit hard lol.
Jokes aside, I really do hope we get some closure some time....
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

*paws at screen for the proper continuation*
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
This keeps happening to this director, Escaflowne was supposed to be longer too but they made him cut it short. What decides how long an anime's cour is going to be? Was it the budget?
The claim Escaflowne was originally supposed to be longer has long been a debunked myth. https://twitter.com/gwotaku/status/773270334896234498?s=21 In the case of Stars Align, the show likely didn’t do that well in ratings. The negative press caused by the ending credits animation controversy probably didn’t help the show either.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
The few frames definitely raised more questions than answered anything in particular.

I am curious to what are some of the alternatives the director has at this point. Proper film or season two will need funding from the same production committee that axed the project in the first place, so it is unlikely. Unless BR/DVD/merch sold well, which there is no evidence of. Or crowdfunding, but this is easier said than done, which can be fluctuating or even unreliable.

What else? Does he have the rights to just release a story anywhere? Doesn't look like it. If a sequel of some sort is made, and it does look like it is being made, where is it going to be? Is it just going to be an OVA released whenever it is finished?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
The few frames definitely raised more questions than answered anything in particular.

I am curious to what are some of the alternatives the director has at this point. Proper film or season two will need funding from the same production committee that axed the project in the first place, so it is unlikely. Unless BR/DVD/merch sold well, which there is no evidence of. Or crowdfunding, but this is easier said than done, which can be fluctuating or even unreliable.

What else? Does he have the rights to just release a story anywhere? Doesn't look like it. If a sequel of some sort is made, and it does look like it is being made, where is it going to be? Is it just going to be an OVA released whenever it is finished?

He could always do what Hiromi Wakabayashi did with Panty & Stocking and make an "unofficial" "official" doujinshi sequel to continue the story. That's about it unless he can get the rights to at least do an official manga or novel deal, since an anime sequel is unlikely. Or he could just write a web novel online in the worst case scenario.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
In the case of Stars Align, the show likely didn’t do that well in ratings. The negative press caused by the ending credits animation controversy probably didn’t help the show either.

The Director confirmed that the show was supposed to be 24 episodes, but the studio cut it to 12 episodes while it was still in development.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
In the case of Stars Align, the show likely didn’t do that well in ratings. The negative press caused by the ending credits animation controversy probably didn’t help the show either.

Nope. The show was originally greenlit for 24 episodes but was cut down to 12 before the series even aired. I'm not sure what kind of ratings the series got but they can't have been a factor.

Akane specifically said that the episode count was cut "in spring" but the show began airing in October, so it has to have been during production.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
We need to buy some blu-rays people
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1