• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Considers Lifting State of Emergency in Tokyo Early Next Week

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The US needs to follow the examples of Japan and South Korea on how to handle a global pandemic. I can’t include China, because I still don’t trust their government.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Still way too early if you ask me. I miss my seasonal anime as much as the next guy, but I'm more than willing to wait a bit longer if it keeps people from, ya know, dying.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Have they said anything new on the halted international postal service, or is that still more a case of having less flights going out?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Have they said anything new on the halted international postal service, or is that still more a case of having less flights going out?

I have received an update from Hobby Link Japan, according to them, so far they have not hear anything from Japan Post regarding lifting the shipments limitations , and FEDEX and DHL are also having challenges to meet increased demands.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Hm...theaters and such will still need HEAVY restrictions.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Wow. The US needs to follow the examples of Japan and South Korea on how to handle a global pandemic. I can’t include China, because I still don’t trust their government.

Japan ignored it until it got worse, same as the US. I guess they might have done better when they actually decided to do something because the US is a mess right now, but Japan still could have done way better.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Still way too early if you ask me. I miss my seasonal anime as much as the next guy, but I'm more than willing to wait a bit longer if it keeps people from, ya know, dying.

At some point, you have to balance the direct disadvantages of a mass infection to the indirect disadvantages of a full lockdown. There's no point in saving a million from death from a specific disease if ten million die of starvation because of becoming jobless in the process. It's not quite as simple as lockdown = saving lives. Unfortunately, things aren't so black and white.

In the US, for example, easing up on the lockdown in most states is justified since it seems like Covid-19 isn't overburdening the hospitals. Ironically, various healthcare workers got laid off because of hospitals not being able to do elective procedures and get money from them. Furthermore, some elective medicinal procedures are still vital and cannot be postponed for long (like removing a cancerous tumor).
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means, Nintendo can get back in their offices and work their magic
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Japan ignored it until it got worse, same as the US. I guess they might have done better when they actually decided to do something because the US is a mess right now, but Japan still could have done way better.

Bloomberg reported Japan's mortality displacement yesterday I think. Despite all the theories of "hiding" the contagion, it doesn't look significantly higher.
My personal theory is that, unlike most of western countries, the infection didn't spread to nursing care houses or hospitals, which contributed heavily to the amount of deaths.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Agreed. Tbh, I do get down on the waiting but I'd rather keep waiting if it means protecting people. The USA is already doing a poor job protecting their people and not making full restrictions for their states too. Not to mention, very little testing.....
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
At some point, you have to balance the direct disadvantages of a mass infection to the indirect disadvantages of a full lockdown. There's no point in saving a million from death from a specific disease if ten million die of starvation because of becoming jobless in the process. It's not quite as simple as lockdown = saving lives. Unfortunately, things aren't so black and white.

The problem is that most people don't recognize that there is a balance. They identify with their experiences, such as being a retiree and having saved enough where this won't financially affect them, that they find it hard to identify with the opposite end of the spectrum. You can point to the federal government and claim that they should have done more by insisting a California-type 'Shelter in Place' restriction since the beginning of March, but doing so would have financially bankrupted the country. For those people who can't work from home and would eventually be let go due to their jobs closing, would the US government then be responsible for their rent/mortgage payments (not to mention food and utility bills) for the next few months? Most people in the US have less than 1 month's worth of expenses in their savings account. Weathering a crisis lasting months could potentially make them and their families homeless. Demanding that people save more during good economic periods isn't always a reality due to housing prices, college loans, healthcare costs, etc.

If anything, the US as well as the rest of the world, should have shut down air travel from affected countries sooner. We knew about the disease in December and yet the US waits until February to shut down most flights from these regions?
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

Bloomberg reported Japan's mortality displacement yesterday I think. Despite all the theories of "hiding" the contagion, it doesn't look significantly higher.
My personal theory is that, unlike most of western countries, the infection didn't spread to nursing care houses or hospitals, which contributed heavily to the amount of deaths.

Add to that Japan was in the middle of their usual flu season, so people were taking the precautions anyway, and it only really picked up after when they followed the normal routine transitioning from winter to spring.
Larinelle

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

I have received an update from Hobby Link Japan, according to them, so far they have not hear anything from Japan Post regarding lifting the shipments limitations , and FEDEX and DHL are also having challenges to meet increased demands.

I'd love an update on this as well - in particular in regards to letters and postcards..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1