• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Girl Doctor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm surpridingly liking this show.
(Sapphentite figure when?)
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
(Sapphentite figure when?)

Better question. Will she get a body pillow to rival Monster Musume's Miia?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 2 was a distinct improvement over episode 1. The first novel (which should source the first five episodes) was at its best when it mostly set the pervy stuff aside and concentrated on world-building and the more clinical aspects of what Dr. Glenn does, and that seems to be translating to anime form.

Quote:
It turns out she was part of an effort to bridge the gap between humans and monsters and stayed with Glenn and his family for a year.

More accurately, she was a hostage meant to insure proper business dealings. The "bridging the gap" part was more a side effect than the intent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
If they got rid of the sex stuff this would have been a lot better of a show. As it is I still like it but I won't be watching it with my wife - or even let her know I am watching it. Rolling Eyes

Monster Musume and Interspecies Reviewers are so much better at the sexy stuff because I can turn my brain off and enjoy some sexy monster girls while watching them. Plot and world building need not apply.

On the other hand, Monster Doctor has a frustratingly good premise and world full of interesting things I want to know more about. Why can't someone do the monster girl thing but take it more seriously? M.D. (Heh! Nice inside joke there.) goes 80% of the way there but just has to fall back into the sexy stuff trope.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Another anime with Kirito lookalike clone male protagonist. Just saying... Confused
CasCarnage86

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else feel like the reviews being written aren't fair, given that the guy who's writing them, Doesn't even remotely like the show, He said so himself.

Anyone else feel the same. Also why make a man, who doesn't like the show, to write a review or two. You know he told someone he had no interest in doing it in the first place.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Grant didn't say he didn't like the show, he said it was outside of his wheelhouse, i.e. not something he'd typically choose to watch. Other than that, he actually had a lot of positive things to say about the first two episodes Monster Girl Doctor if you read his review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
#829523 wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the reviews being written aren't fair, given that the guy who's writing them, Doesn't even remotely like the show, He said so himself.

Anyone else feel the same. Also why make a man, who doesn't like the show, to write a review or two. You know he told someone he had no interest in doing it in the first place.

Because sometimes it's nice to read a review by someone who necessarily isn't a fan of the genre itself, because they tend to look at a show a bit differently than its fans. That should never be a problem because whether a show is good or not never has anything to do with whatever genre it is. And I'd like to add -- and I've said this before when someone made the same complaint -- that if not for a woman speaking well of High School DxD, I would most likely never have watched it.

Also, newer show reviews are always put up for votes, and I can only assume this show was one of them since... well, the review is here. That means that regardless of which show gets picked, someone has to write the review.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, episode 2 was a distinct improvement over episode 1. The first novel (which should source the first five episodes) was at its best when it mostly set the pervy stuff aside and concentrated on world-building and the more clinical aspects of what Dr. Glenn does, and that seems to be translating to anime form.

Quote:
It turns out she was part of an effort to bridge the gap between humans and monsters and stayed with Glenn and his family for a year.

More accurately, she was a hostage meant to insure proper business dealings. The "bridging the gap" part was more a side effect than the intent.

Having now also watched episode 3, I can't help but agree with your first comment. I get that Those ScenesTM are supposed to be the draw, but they end up breaking my immersion with the other aspects of the show (which feel like earnest attempts at character and world-building).

Fair cop on that point, poor phrasing on my part.

#829523 wrote:

I think that's a fair complaint on one level - it is always nice when a reviewer has at least a passing familiarity for a work and an appreciation for the genre. On the other hand, I'm trying to give it a fair shake as much as possible, and analyze it as best I can on its own terms. I think (hope?) I'm treating the show pretty fairly all things considered.

The disclaimer at the beginning was an attempt to be fully honest with you as the reader, not for me to try and rag on the show before I even got started. Sorry if it came across as the latter.

octopodpie wrote:
Grant didn't say he didn't like the show, he said it was outside of his wheelhouse, i.e. not something he'd typically choose to watch. Other than that, he actually had a lot of positive things to say about the first two episodes Monster Girl Doctor if you read his review.

Thanks Lynzee, I tried to be positive and genuine. Hopefully it comes across.

Northlander wrote:
#829523 wrote:

Because sometimes it's nice to read a review by someone who necessarily isn't a fan of the genre itself, because they tend to look at a show a bit differently than its fans. That should never be a problem because whether a show is good or not never has anything to do with whatever genre it is. And I'd like to add -- and I've said this before when someone made the same complaint -- that if not for a woman speaking well of High School DxD, I would most likely never have watched it.

Also, newer show reviews are always put up for votes, and I can only assume this show was one of them since... well, the review is here. That means that regardless of which show gets picked, someone has to write the review.

I appreciate that, I'm trying to give the show a fair shot and check my misgivings at the door. I'm not super familiar with the style of show, so I'm sure my ignorance shows through, but hey everybody has to start somewhere right?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I understand that, for the target audience, this is The Reason To Watch The Show so it's absurd to complain about it.

No, it's totally fair to complain about it. As someone who clearly appreciates fan service more than you do, Grant, my reaction was pretty much the same as yours. I've always felt that "but fan service!" should not be an excuse for shoddy design. To put it another way, proper fan service should be an enhancement rather than a distraction. Okay, I can see a little bit of titillation being fair here, as Glenn's biggest weakness as a doctor is that he doesn't account for that in what he does, but this series carries that to a distracting level.

Annoyingly, we're probably going to have to put up with that kind of thing for most of the run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I find the ahegao each episode funny because it's so stupid and so that's a reason to watch (not that I get off watching monster musume getting jacked off)...Getting old though. Confused
Q4000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
Grant D Clown wrote:
#829523 wrote:

I think that's a fair complaint on one level - it is always nice when a reviewer has at least a passing familiarity for a work and an appreciation for the genre. On the other hand, I'm trying to give it a fair shake as much as possible, and analyze it as best I can on its own terms. I think (hope?) I'm treating the show pretty fairly all things considered.

The disclaimer at the beginning was an attempt to be fully honest with you as the reader, not for me to try and rag on the show before I even got started. Sorry if it came across as the latter.

Conversely, having someone who likes these sorts of shows would also be unfair since there would be a certain amount of bias as well, no? Regardless, I think you did a rather impartial review though.

Anyway, I was just wondering. Sapphentite is a doctor in her own right, right? Why does she relegate herself to being his assistant and not a partner in the practice? She behaves more like a nurse or aide (no offense to people in either profession) rather than a doctor. Obviously nothing wrong if she chooses to be so, but I mean, people don't even address her as one (they address Glenn with -sensei but with her it's just -san or -oneesan). I haven't read the LN maybe it's explained and I got it wrong, but it just felt like a disservice to her character.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:

Anyway, I was just wondering. Sapphentite is a doctor in her own right, right? Why does she relegate herself to being his assistant and not a partner in the practice? She behaves more like a nurse or aide (no offense to people in either profession) rather than a doctor. Obviously nothing wrong if she chooses to be so, but I mean, people don't even address her as one (they address Glenn with -sensei but with her it's just -san or -oneesan). I haven't read the LN maybe it's explained and I got it wrong, but it just felt like a disservice to her character.

From the novel it's explained that Glenn is more of a general physician while Saphee is a pharmacist so she makes the drugs they use. I agree though that pharmacists don't get as much credit as other doctors.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
I understand that, for the target audience, this is The Reason To Watch The Show so it's absurd to complain about it.

No, it's totally fair to complain about it. As someone who clearly appreciates fan service more than you do, Grant, my reaction was pretty much the same as yours. I've always felt that "but fan service!" should not be an excuse for shoddy design. To put it another way, proper fan service should be an enhancement rather than a distraction. Okay, I can see a little bit of titillation being fair here, as Glenn's biggest weakness as a doctor is that he doesn't account for that in what he does, but this series carries that to a distracting level.

Thirded here. Fan service heavy series tend to make up about half of what I watch, and it generally adds to them because it is a focus in the content. It's like the entree, or at least a sizeable side. It works in Monster Musume because it is the focus of the series. Whereas it doesn't really work here because it seems like an afterthought or add-on, a small second side that doesn't really go with the entree.

I must be hungry...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:

Annoyingly, we're probably going to have to put up with that kind of thing for most of the run.

As a fellow purveyor of tracks of land and fine posteriors I agree with Key. Simply giving fanservice doesn't make up for bad designs, bad animation, or a piss poor plot. Simply going "here's some T&A" won't make up for those elements clearly lacking and when they do that it honestly irritates me more. To me that is the animators admitting the other parts are flawed because they're trying to distract me from them with anti-gravitational chest pillows. That is also a different situation from a series that is cognizant of the fact it's all about the T&A, and plays to those strengths almost as a parody of itself. It's not trying to be anything more than that. A classic old example is Eiken. Another would say Agent Aika. Where as this series is attempting to have an actual semi-serious story. In that context the fanservice here so far is distracting from that story the show is trying to tell. Which also reinforces my earlier opinion during the Preview Guide that this show needs to either commit to the full T&A route (Monster Musume), or tone it down and focus on the actual story like Interviews with Monster Girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3