• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chop Squadron

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
As always, I enjoyed your column. Hope you get that burger in a can one day.

Oh and the best discovery I made was that inari wrappers come in a can. Such a yummy and easy to make snack.

As far as a dream food in a can - mashed potatoes? They make it in tubs now, why not cans?
saini85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
superman? boring? blasphemy... lol jk but actually superman almost always gets the crap beat out of him before he does his thing.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, this came at a good time. I have the first three volumes of Beck and wanted to get some good feedback about the next few.

That's some good feedback, there.

Not that I'm hesitant about finishing the series, but I'm actually having to hide it from my folks. They don't like anime anyway, but they tolerate everything else I've gotten.

They will not, however, tolerate a series that runs at 70 fpm (f-bombs per minute) Laughing It doesn't bother me, but my folks would kill me. Anime smile + sweatdrop
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
As for (blank) in a can, spaghetti is already in a can... it's called "Chef BoyarDee"! Laughing Pizza? Maybe... Chili Cheese Fries? Possible... The CB in a can... you boil it, then take it out? Soggy Bottom... Mad If Japan doesn't have microwave ovens, I can see mashed potatoes in a can... If they do, why wouldn't it be in a bowl? Will add your reviews to this shortly...
Edit: Rebel v. Government anime? Can't remember if you've done Code Geass... [adult swim] will premiere it "in the spring"... what's your take? As for Beck, I actually think it would be a good fit for [adult swim] or a more teen Toonami... didn't get into Prince of Tennis, but this Football fan identifies with Eyeshield 21!

Last edited by billyarnie on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
They will not, however, tolerate a series that runs at 70 fpm (f-bombs per minute) Laughing It doesn't bother me, but my folks would kill me. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I teach middle school and have a manga library for the kids to use before and after school. I WISH I could put Beck in there, but there is no way I could do that and still keep my job. Gads, I love the series though and know my students would too. . .
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
The characters are all easy to root for (except for Maho's lame friends, who are all kind of not-so-nice-people)

Ya, seriously. Although given that many of the characters seem a little like jerks at the start, I guess it kinda figures that minor characters get shafted.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am one of the 7 Gundam fans in the U.S., and I for one will not be ponying up for MS Igloo. However, I will give it a look-see via rentals - just as I do with every title Bandai Visual tries to extort the American anime viewing public via their ludicrous pricing scheme.
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Those hamburger photos were enough to make me gag, but then again I have a pretty weak stomach. Canned ramen doesn't seem like such a bad idea. "Instant ramen" is fried and heavily processed, I can't imagine this being much worse in that regard.
I haven't heard great things about Glass Fleet. Still, it's one of those series I might check out if I run out of titles in my Rentanime que. At least Gonzo seems to have a better track record with their original titles than with most of their adapted ones.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I feel a tad out of place in that I just don't care much for Beck. I enjoy slower and dramatic series, although I guess more reality based slice-of-life shows just don't do it for me. On top of that I really don't care for the music, and since that's such a huge component of the series that has quite an impact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ichigo XL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Whatever, the writer of that article is a [removed]. If anything MS IgLoo is the best thing to happen to the Gundam franchise, since, well, Gundam 0079. And yes the CG for the charas, while not quite measuring up to Sqeenix's calibre, is way better than the substandard animation present in the likes of the parallel-universe Gundam shows(wing, seed, g-gundam, etc).

And oh yeah [removed], that hong kong Initial D is crap. Sorry, but since it was based on a JAPANESE manga, I think an all Japanese cast, director, etc would've been better. Heck, Kitamura would've been a better fit for director of this flick. And there are tons of young Japanese actors that would've been a better damn fit for the main roles too.

[removed]

[Edit: Clean it up. You want to disagree then go ahead and disagree. Users are expected to do so respectfully however and if you can't manage that then just let us know and we can get the ban out of the way now. - Keonyn]
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo XL wrote:
...that hong kong Initial D is crap. Sorry, but since it was based on a JAPANESE manga, I think an all Japanese cast, director, etc would've been better. Heck, Kitamura would've been a better fit for director of this flick.

Anne Suzuki was in it, unfortunately they dubbed over her voice. Taiseng really should have put her original voice back in there. (It's there in the Japanese release, from what I hear.)
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo XL wrote:
Whatever, the writer of that article is a biased idiot.

Um, I think you're the one who's biased. Just because her opinion is different doesn't make her (being a professional reviewer) biased. And most definitely not an idiot.

Jeez, at least she gave it a "rental" label. Why don't you let us know why you think IGLOO is sooo worthy, then?

Ichigo XL wrote:
But whatever, who cares about your opinion

You: *whines*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I feel a tad out of place in that I just don't care much for Beck. I enjoy slower and dramatic series, although I guess more reality based slice-of-life shows just don't do it for me. On top of that I really don't care for the music, and since that's such a huge component of the series that has quite an impact.

dont feel to much out of place, i also dont care much for Beck
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo XL wrote:
Whatever, the writer of that article is a biased idiot. If anything MS IgLoo is the best thing to happen to the Gundam franchise, since, well, Gundam 0079. And yes the CG for the charas, while not quite measuring up to Sqeenix's calibre, is way better than the substandard animation present in the likes of the parallel-universe Gundam shows(wing, seed, g-gundam, etc).

And oh yeah chump, that hong kong Initial D is crap. Sorry, but since it was based on a JAPANESE manga, I think an all Japanese cast, director, etc would've been better. Heck, Kitamura would've been a better fit for director of this flick. And there are tons of young Japanese actors that would've been a better damn fit for the main roles too.

But whatever, who cares about your opinion

Crying or Very sad
youngavatar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
the intial d live action movie just doesn't do the the tv series justice. they cramp like two season in two hrs it was horrible i was really dispointed. Then again i realize it was a low budget film so i guess they did an ok job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3