• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Films Cast Amazoness Quartet Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I may be naive in this area here; but won't Naoko Takeuchi, the creator of Sailor Moon makes more bank from this movie success; including how it distributed to her.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope Toei is doing the animation and is only giving Studio DEEN production credit. When they produce shows alone, Studio DEEN has a pretty sucky track record. Rilu Rulu Fairilu was awful, and they ruined such great franchises as Fate/stay night (which luckily was saved by Ufotable) and Jewelpet.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:54 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I hope Toei is doing the animation and is only giving Studio DEEN production credit. When they produce shows alone, Studio DEEN has a pretty sucky track record. Rilu Rulu Fairilu was awful, and they ruined such great franchises as Fate/stay night (which luckily was saved by Ufotable) and Jewelpet.

They are most likely helping out due to the director's, Chiaki Kon, connection to the studio. I imagine it's a co-production like the Digimon Adventure reboot where Studio Gallop does every 2nd or so episode. As long as they're just doing character acting I'm fine with them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So Sumire Morohoshi has now gone from being Nina in FMAB to PallaPalla in Sailor Moon Eternal? Rie Takahashi as VesVes is probably the VA I'm most familiar with out of this cast as she was Emilia in Re:Zero and has done a lot of roles over the years like Miki in School Live, Cure Miracle in Maho Girls Precure, and Ena in Laid Back Camp. Reina Ueda has also done a lot of roles I like such as Ruri in Dr. Stone and Akane in Gridman. The Amazoness Quartet have always been some of my favorite Sailor Moon villains and I always wanted to see them as the spoiler[Sailor Quartet] and I can't wait to finally see that happening in anime form. With all these news dumps we've been getting for the Eternal movies lately, hopefully we'll also soon get to see what Zirconia and Nehelenia look like and maybe theme song info too.

Quote:
The first three seasons of Crystal were also done by Toei to varying degrees of animation quality. Plenty of other Toei properties like Digimon and Dragon Ball Super have also suffered from Toei animation quality control issues. Eternal probably won't be any worse than the first three seasons of Crystal but I'm not counting on it to be a significant increase in quality either. As Plexouar says, Deen is likely only playing a small supporting role in the production, but it seems unfair to automatically assume that any animation quality issues with Eternal is solely Deen's fault when Toei has a long history of wonky animation with Sailor Moon and their other franchises. But Eternal will probably be just fine at best.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The first three seasons of Crystal were also done by Toei to varying degrees of animation quality. Plenty of other Toei properties like Digimon and Dragon Ball Super have also suffered from Toei animation quality control issues. Eternal probably won't be any worse than the first three seasons of Crystal but I'm not counting on it to be a significant increase in quality either. As Plexouar says, Deen is likely only playing a small supporting role in the production, but it seems unfair to automatically assume that any animation quality issues with Eternal is solely Deen's fault when Toei has a long history of wonky animation with Sailor Moon and their other franchises. But Eternal will probably be just fine at best.

Tbf Season 3 of Crystal had a completely different team and it showed. Crystal S3's production seemed to majorly wrap up in May of 2016, and the way better schedule allowed even the weaker teams to do a decent job. Even the strong animators that worked on it mentioned the show's unusually good production schedule. And more or less the same core staff is handling Eternal too.

Super is an entirely different topic. The issues run deeper than just lack of quality control. All major parties screwed up that made the production fundamentally broken. Ending it was the only solution.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tbf Season 3 of Crystal had a completely different team and it showed. Crystal S3's production seemed to majorly wrap up in May of 2016, and the way better schedule allowed even the weaker teams to do a decent job. Even the strong animators that worked on it mentioned the show's unusually good production schedule. And more or less the same core staff is handling Eternal too.
S3 was a vast improvement though I would argue s2 was already starting to see an improvement in some areas. The funny faces a lot of fans credit s3 with already returned in s2. But s3 still had some issues in the middle part of the season with wonky faces, off model character designs, and some weird animation short cuts in action scenes. Fans have been critical of the 90s redraws with Eternal though the 90s redraws were also in s3 and to some extent with s2. Eternal will probably be more or less the same with s3's quality where the majority will probably look fine especially in the big important moments of the movies but you can expect some weirdness here and there like with Digimon Adventure Tri. But it probably won't be on the level of a big budget anime movie standard a lot of fans are holding it to and it's more like OVA quality.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
S3 was a vast improvement though I would argue s2 was already starting to see an improvement in some areas. The funny faces a lot of fans credit s3 with already returned in s2. But s3 still had some issues in the middle part of the season with wonky faces, off model character designs, and some weird animation short cuts in action scenes. Fans have been critical of the 90s redraws with Eternal though the 90s redraws were also in s3 and to some extent with s2. Eternal will probably be more or less the same with s3's quality where the majority will probably look fine especially in the big important moments of the movies but you can expect some weirdness here and there like with Digimon Adventure Tri. But it probably won't be on the level of a big budget anime movie standard a lot of fans are holding it to and it's more like OVA quality.

True, but even the strongest proudctions are bound to have some lows. And I agree that people should expect something closer to OVA quality, considering both "movies" are so close to each other. The big difference between this and Tri is that the latter was fully outsourced to Koji Ito's studio and had no Toei involvement whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1