• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Appare-Ranman Is Off to the Races!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I went into this show expecting it to easily be the best of the year, and it's surpassed even those expectations. I'm not even sure why anyone expected anything different.
Glordit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't even care that that's not how shotguns work

Shotguns can also fire slugs. Although, I think it the deigns was geared more towards a lever action but it got turned into a shotgun for some reason.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what time period this is supposed to be

Most of the signs point to late 1860s. Particularly the politics: japan isn't a closed country, but the samurai haven't been abolished [that puts it between 1860 and 1871], and the US civil war is apparently over [post 1865]. And obviously post the mexican-american war. Clothing and architecture seems reasonably consistent with that. The technology... not so much. Someone who's seen more than the first three eps could probably give more input.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
Apparently it was an intentional choice not to set the series in a specific time period. Considering everything we've seen it's a mix of everything between the last half of the 19th century until, say, the 1930's, and then still some anachronisms. At first it annoyed me a bit, but the series has won me over quickly.

And it's not just the time period. Before the race they presented all of the cars with their specifications, those also didn't make any sense at all. I guess the basic laws of physics just haven't been invented yet.....

But who needs realism when you're having this much fun? Very Happy

My guess with Kosame would be that it turns out he's a cyborg, he now just needs a reboot. Because why not?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Too bad that this "comedy" is apparently becoming a tragic drama. As far as the time period this show is set in, I am pretty sure the first episode said 1910 or 1911.

As far as my opinion of the show, it is entertaining and well animated. The story is a bit too basic, but it probably doesn't need to be deep. My only real criticism is the stereotypes of native americans.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Is it really a boombox though or is it a miniature gramophone ?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
After the first episode I decided to wait and marathon. But I do look forward to making time for it.

Right now, I've finally caught up on the first two seasons of SNAFU, so that's the next quasi marathon- a couple a day.

I guess I should finish Food Wars too... not as excited. Any chance for a TWIA column about finishing that one? There was already the preview and criticism of the manga ending, I'm curious if the anime is changing things up to mitigate the manga's faults.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Except that the cars and (bystander) clothing design is of the 1910s.

Does anyone else remember Penelope Pitstop and the Wacky Racers?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
The setting and time period have been discussed often in the thread about this series: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3149722
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:

Does anyone else remember Penelope Pitstop and the Wacky Racers?

Japan remembers

Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't quite get into it at first mainly because of Appare's character design which I'm still not a big fan of but I soon got into the show and I enjoy that it's like an anime version of Whacky Races but with more emotional drama high stakes. I really like the whole relationship dynamic between Appare, Kosame, and Hototo, and Jing is my favorite. But I'm wondering if this show is going to get a surprise second cour announced because it's listed at 13 episodes but it still feels like the show is only halfway through and I hope they don't rush through the finale.
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
"but by the looks of everything at the end of episode 10, Kosame's [expletive] dead and I'm pretty sure even Appare can't figure out how to frankenstein him back."

nahh, he got shot on the right side of his chest, and everyone knows the first rule of Fictional Gunshot Wounds is you always survive that. Especially with the kind of top notch medical care available in the American midwest in the 1870s to the 1930s (whichever's your pick)!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
it still feels like the show is only halfway through and I hope they don't rush through the finale.

They're still in Missouri or perhaps southwestern Illinois if they somehow managed to cross the Mississippi River. That's a long way from New York City.

And, like you, Appare's character design nearly put me off from watching this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1