• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces Q1 Acquisitions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if RahXephon will be right-to-left.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping so...but since they are releasing/re-releasing in right to left, then I would assume that they will be.
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope so, that's the way I prefer to read my manga. I really don't mind though if they make it left-to-right. I just can't wait until it comes out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
I wonder if RahXephon will be right-to-left.

That wouldn't bother me if it was release left-to-right as long the manga Rahxephon is good.But I be really pleased if it was right-to-left. Cool
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know what B.B. Blast is about?
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Waa, Viz annoys me sooo much!

Video girl ai will finish in ayear or two a this rate and that means (unless someone else grabs it) I's will take 5-6 years to finish here x_x. I'll just read the scanlation and pout.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Waa, Viz annoys me sooo much!

Video girl ai will finish in ayear or two a this rate and that means (unless someone else grabs it) I's will take 5-6 years to finish here x_x. I'll just read the scanlation and pout.

How long is Viz taking to release each volume? I'm sure it's not as bad as Darkhorse taking 9 months to a year to release each volume of Cannon God Exaxxion. Now that is annoying... I sware only 24 hours have passed in that story in the last 2 years. Anime cry
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that Volume 6 of Exaxxion was only recently released in Japan, yes?

Granted, the volume length is probably nowhere near the same, but the tankoubans generally come out once a year in Japan....
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote
"RahXephon" will be right-to-left. 100% guaranteed. Viz knows that readers these days prefer their manga unflipped, which is why all of their recent releases have been unflipped. They're even re-releasing some of their old series unflipped, like "Fushigi Yuugi" and "Battle Angel Alita". As I understand it, the only titles that are still released flipped are titles they released or continued to release during their conversion to the new size ("Inuyasha", "Big O", "X/1999", etc). Back then, they only thought people wanted manga in a smaller and cheaper size, not unflipped. But now that they know that people want all of those things, it's a safe bet all future titles they get will be unflipped.
mandichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they're releasing the Kaikan Phrase manga.... (Anime dazed) I could see the anime being released, but the manga....???? Well, I guess I haven't read it, so I shouldn't judge it, but I do know the author's reputation... I don't know if her cheesey stories will really cut it in America.. I guess we'll see Anime smile
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if Viz is making a mistake making RaXephon exclusive to B&N. I don't know about the rest of you, but Barnes and Noble is about the last place I go to buy manga. It would probably be more profitible to make it exclusive to some mall bookstore chain since people might stop into the store while at the mall to do something else buy it. I also feels that it alienates places like Suncoast and the comicbook stores.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Barnes & Noble? Damnit. It took me five minutes to even find the manga section the last time I was there. And even then they barely had any selection compared to Waldenbooks.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
I noticed most of Viz's titles release bi-monthly now like most of Tokyopop's manga.

The only exceptions being the Shonen Jump titles that run in the magazine Sad
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
mandichan wrote:
I can't believe they're releasing the Kaikan Phrase manga.... (Anime dazed) I could see the anime being released, but the manga....???? Well, I guess I haven't read it, so I shouldn't judge it, but I do know the author's reputation... I don't know if her cheesey stories will really cut it in America.. I guess we'll see Anime smile

I'm sure that Kaikan phrase *can* cut in it American, *especially* with lots of cheese. Did you know that the US Manga market is 60-70% comprised of women? Gravitation is one of the biggest selling titles, and trust me, that has lots of cheese too. Boy-on-boy action, companies are beginning to realize, is $$$. And judging from MARS, one of the top-selling shoujo manga over here, so is cheeeeeeeeeese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Barnes & Noble? Damnit. It took me five minutes to even find the manga section the last time I was there. And even then they barely had any selection compared to Waldenbooks.

As an employee of Waldenbooks (Very Happy) I can say right now that puting Raxephon in only Barnes and Noble is something that Viz will *quickly* regret. Here's the thing with Waldenbooks vs. Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble carries more books that are "scholarly" or informative--for instance, if you're looking for how-to books, reference materials, classic literature, information on ancient mythology or religious materials, Barnes & Noble is a much better place to go.

Waldenbooks, however, specializes in smaller niche markets that make consistent $$$. Most of Barnes and Noble's revenue probably comes from the coffee people sit and drink while they read from their ($$$) café. Where does most of Waldenbooks revenue come from? Romance novels, which are extremely popular and--additionally--the same people come back to read them every month or more. Yes, I am talking about those crappy Harlequins.

Want to know another market that's a lot like Romance novels?

Manga customers buy a lot of product (I, for one, spend around $200 a month on manga) and they come back every month for the next installment. Add onto that a Prefered Reader's card that gives them 10% off, and you have consistent revenue. I would estimate that the Waldenbooks selection of manga is a least twice as large as B&N.

Other things that you'll see more of at Waldenbooks than at Barnes and Noble are children's books, science fiction novels, and most likely mystery novels and bestsellers.

Barnes and Noble doesn't sell these books because the people who buy them don't spend a lot of money on coffee while they're looking. They already know what they want--they just go in, browse a little and buy it. Moreover, carrying a lot of manga could (this is just guesswork on my part) destroy part of the scholarly image they cry to maintain.

Yeah, Viz is gonna be crying. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2