• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual YouTuber Agency hololive to Disband hololive CN Group

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised the China branch imploded before the American one. I had my money on the American v-tubers being the ones to attract drama, but I was wrong.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that article kind of dances around the crux of the issue with Kiryu Coco and Akai Haato without directly stating it. There's really no debate about the fact that both Coco and Haato discussed and/or displayed the YouTube analytics showing China and Taiwan as separate regions during one of their livestreams; this ultimately resulted in their 3 week suspension.

Personally, I don't think they should have been punished for discussing the YouTube analytics, since the issue is due to YouTube displaying Taiwan and China separately. But of course, this is my opinion, and others are entitled to their own. There is also reason to question whether the suspensions were really punishments or simply an excuse to try and relieve the pressure from harassers and trolls that flooded their streams after the original incidents.

What is particularly unfortunate is the impact that these incidents had on Coco, Haato, and the rest of the Hololive members. Many of the members, especially the HololiveCN members ended up flooded with trolls and harassment due to their association with Hololive and thereby Coco and Haato. I don't think it's inappropriate to point out that much, though certainly not all, of the harassment came from vitriolic Chinese nationalists. It should also be noted that a lot of the hate also came from people who were expressing racist views towards China and its people following Coco's and Haato's suspensions. Even now, there are still a much higher number of trolls and harassers in Coco and Haato's streams than before the original incidents, though it has gotten a lot better since their return streams.

As a hololive fan, it appears fairly obvious that Cover Corp felt like these harassment efforts have forced them to choose between China and, effectively, the rest of the world. Though this is a bit reductive, they basically had 2 options:
1) Terminate Coco and Haato.
2) Pull out of the Chinese market.
Option 1 would make many non-Chinese fans, not just the racist ones, go ballistic. This was apparent enough simply from the reaction to the Coco's and Haato's suspensions. This could also be particularly damaging to the recent debut and resounding success of Hololive EN. Moreover, Coco is as of a few weeks ago, Hololive's single biggest cash cow; I imagine that this hasn't changed.
Option 2 sacrifices any future revenue from China and, more than likely, the overwhelming majority of the revenue from Taiwan; regardless of who does or doesn't like it, the two are currently distinct economic entities, so discussing their revenue separately is completely reasonable.

There's no guarantee that either option will truly resolve the matter, but I suspect that there is less uncertainty involved in option 2; it may or may not be the more expensive option, but uncertainty is a cost unto itself, which can render a potentially more profitable venture undesirable. Whatever the numbers worked out to be, clearly Cover Corp decided to go with option 2. And I have to say, Cover Corp has done a pretty good PR job selling their decision.

While the situation is unfortunate all around, the now/soon-to-be former Hololive CN members have certainly lost the most as a result of this debacle. I hope they continue to find success in their post-Hololive careers, be it as VTubers or something else entirely.

As a final note: in case it's not clear, I think the inciting incidents of all this were, at the absolute very most minor gaffes. I also think the amount of damage that has resulted from it is appalling.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the stream, the girls explained that the agency was disbanding hololive CN, although the individual members will still be allowed to retain their names, Live2D models, and identities as they continue as independent streamers.

As of today, this may not be valid anymore. The situation is still developing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's definitely a good thing that Hololive will allow the Vtubers to retain their character (both name and visual/model). They could have been jerks and demanded that they 'retire' those personas as contractually I'm sure those are property of Hololive but allowing them continue is a good PR boost after this nasty situation.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Heh, not only did the girls jump the gun with the announcement of their plans, ANN jumped the gun with reporting on it. The lack of any statement or press release from the companies involved in holoCN (Cover in particular) should've been a dead giveaway that something isn't right. Heck, Cover hasn't even announced whether they're pulling out from China or not.

Should've reported on something concrete like holofes2 instead.
Uokel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Heh, not only did the girls jump the gun with the announcement of their plans, ANN jumped the gun with reporting on it. The lack of any statement or press release from the companies involved in holoCN (Cover in particular) should've been a dead giveaway that something isn't right. Heck, Cover hasn't even announced whether they're pulling out from China or not.

Should've reported on something concrete like holofes2 instead.

Basically from what we have gathered it was the HoloCN manager that is causing the problems or is at least the reasons the girls believe what they were told. This also means that Billibilli is causing this mess and not Cover.

If anything Cover without a doubt after everything that has been going on would of released some sort of statement.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I'm honestly surprised the China branch imploded before the American one. I had my money on the American v-tubers being the ones to attract drama, but I was wrong.

From my experience, The American vtuber community is super friendly, and everyone gets along. I find them way more entertaining than the Japanese ones.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
From my experience, The American vtuber community is super friendly, and everyone gets along. I find them way more entertaining than the Japanese ones.

The girls themselves are fine. They're no doubt bound by contract to act professional and not do or say anything controversial or dumb. I speak more of the rabid anti fandom. Like the people who call you a pedophile for liking Gawr Gura and go after artists for making art of her and the performer herself for promoting said art. But Chinese antis seem to have a lot more pull if they can actually illicit this kind of response from Clover to the point of getting actual changes or cancellations made.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
v1cious wrote:

The girls themselves are fine. They're no doubt bound by contract to act professional and not do or say anything controversial or dumb. I speak more of the rabid anti fandom. Like the people who call you a pedophile for liking Gawr Gura and go after artists for making art of her and the performer herself for promoting said art. But Chinese antis seem to have a lot more pull if they can actually illicit this kind of response from Clover to the point of getting actual changes or cancellations made.

That's because they're more organized than the few Karens, antis, and "Moral Guardians" on Twitter. However, their "plans" to take Coco and Haachama down were nothing but BS and made them look like a bunch of third graders.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote
This really had no real reason to be a situation, I find it hard to not compare this situation to nazi Germany taking over part of Czechoslovakia and then getting upset when the rest world doesn't immediately sign the Munich agreement.

From what I understand the girls didn't even mention taiwan they just read out their demographic info as present to them by the youtube back end system.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
Personally, I don't think they should have been punished for discussing the YouTube analytics, since the issue is due to YouTube displaying Taiwan and China separately.

Agree with most of your post, but China isn't listed in the analytics in the first place, because YouTube is banned over there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1