• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Game Awards 2020 Nominees Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope Animal Crossing and Genshin Impact get it. I like them both. And Final Fantasy.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
I hope Animal Crossing and Genshin Impact get it. I like them both. And Final Fantasy.

I disagree with Genshin Impact since it's a BOTW rip off with some gambling mechanics added.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

I disagree with Genshin Impact since it's a BOTW rip off with some gambling mechanics added.

"meh, BOTW ripoff"

Allot of people thought that before the game came out, but now most people who played the game realized that the game is far more than just a "BOTW ripoff with gacha mechanics"
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
I see not even The Game Awards can muster the pretense of pretending to prop up The Avengers with a pity nomination in sound design or something. Not that I'm expecting the winners to be anything other than predictable safe choices that wont actually reflect the general gaming community, but that's most award shows in generals. My personal pick for game of the year is FF7R, but I doubt it'll win.

-SP- wrote:

Genshin Impact wins that comparison by virtue of not having breakable weapons so it's actually fun to play.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see 13 Sentinels win for Best Narrative. That game is clearly a labor of love, something we need more of.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad 13 Sentinels got recognition, its my favorite game story this year. However it stands no chance in this popularity contest. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

If we're going to condemn it for that reason alone we might as well condemn other games like Double Dragon, Sonic The Hedgehog, Digimon, Dr.Mario etc for copying off existing titles.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
And again the Xenoblade series get's shafted. At least put it in the best RPG category like the other 2 remakes in the category.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Your credibility's on the line Keighley!

If 13 Sentinels doesn't win for Best Narrative, we'll know the judging system is based only on popularity and no other actual merits.

While it's largely thanks to its visual novel nature, this was hands down one of the best stories in gaming or in any medium.

Also please give us a new Silent Hill reveal.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Your credibility's on the line Keighley!

If 13 Sentinels doesn't win for Best Narrative, we'll know the judging system is based only on popularity and no other actual merits.

While it's largely thanks to its visual novel nature, this was hands down one of the best stories in gaming or in any medium.

Also please give us a new Silent Hill reveal.

Hades or TLOU2 could easily win that award, as well. The latter is more subjective, but definitely Hades, given how they work the characters into the gameplay and narrative 10s of hours into the game...and it's a rogue-like, at that.

Personally looking for another God of War and/or Elden Ring tease. Or maybe that major leak convinces Capcom to put out a teaser of one of those games.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
I hope Genshin Impact get it.

Hahaha no way it hell it would win any.

Last edited by Chrizy on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RhinocerousTrilbies

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

BOTW rip off is a little harsh but, yeah. I agree that Genshin is definitely not GOTY material
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1